Benign heme job prospect/salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brachyury

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While a benign-only heme career is doable in academics, is it common/possible in private practice? For instance, are any of you part of--or aware of--large groups where one of the members focuses exclusively on benign heme.

I know salary is difficult to gage, but is remuneration in private practice likely to be lower for a physician who only does benign heme vs one who does benign and malignant heme. From the research I've done on academics, there does not appear to be a salary difference between benign heme and malignant faculty. However, I cannot find any private practice salary data for heme-only physicians

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

While a benign-only heme career is doable in academics, is it common/possible in private practice? For instance, are any of you part of--or aware of--large groups where one of the members focuses exclusively on benign heme.

I know salary is difficult to gage, but is remuneration in private practice likely to be lower for a physician who only does benign heme vs one who does benign and malignant heme. From the research I've done on academics, there does not appear to be a salary difference between benign heme and malignant faculty. However, I cannot find any private practice salary data for heme-only physicians

Thanks!

Benign heme jobs do not exist outside of academia. Just like you can't really do a "colon cancer only" gig outside of academia.

I suppose if you were willing to offer to only "eat what you kill" a large (8-12 docs) PP group might be willing to send all their boring DVT consults to you. But anywhere that such a large group exists geographically there will be an academic center across town with a "thought leader" in benign heme who will eat your lunch on the interesting cases.