Openings/salary in malignant heme

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mir2zapine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 1st year fellow and am really really enjoying malignant heme. What is the job market like for BMT/cell therapy? Leukemia? Lymphoma? Myeloma? It's challenging to find anything about openings/salary for these positions. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 1st year fellow and am really really enjoying malignant heme. What is the job market like for BMT/cell therapy? Leukemia? Lymphoma? Myeloma? It's challenging to find anything about openings/salary for these positions. TIA!

When I applied in 2020 pre covid it was very hit or miss when it came to specialized mal heme positions. I was specifically looking for leukemia positions and there weren’t many options. Now I think it’s a bit better as there has been a fair amount of turnover in the last 18 months at a lot of academic centers.

If you’re looking at/for hybrid, satellites of academic centers, or pp and are not geographically limited options are plentiful. The more sub-specialized you want to be and the more geographically restricted you are the harder it is to find a job (though this last part should be fairly obvious).

Salary for academic is ~250-300k
Academic satellites ~300-350k (less specialization)
Hybrid ~350-400k
Pp ~400-500k

Don’t take what I say as gospel others can probably weigh in on their experiences as well

Reactions: 1 users
HCT/cell therapy/malignant Heme here, agree with what whoknows said

From my job search last year

Academics: 180-250 base, some places have RVU based compensation that would take 180 base to about mid high 300s (once hitting RVU target). It’s all somewhat opaque to me

Hybrid 300-500

Didn’t look at private practices but anecdotally heard higher pay

Reactions: 1 user