Benefits of an MS Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hurricaneuro

SUNY c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools require a faculty member to have a PhD to teach; so besides taking more classes and doing research for your own benefit, what can the MS allow you to do post-graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will let u teach with an MS

from the SUNY website...it says it helps with research based careers? perhaps they are like part time careers or something? It seems to be mostly for research, im not exactly sure if the schools will let you become a fulltime faculty or atleast tenured professor with an MS...i think you definately need a PhD for that.

My question is though....are OD's allowed to teach? any optometry school students who have professors who are only OD's? or are almost all of them OD/PhD's or PhD's?

But also i think with a PhD you can teach in other schools non-optometry.

Members don't see this ad :)
from the SUNY website...it says it helps with research based careers? perhaps they are like part time careers or something? It seems to be mostly for research, im not exactly sure if the schools will let you become a fulltime faculty or atleast tenured professor with an MS...i think you definately need a PhD for that.

My question is though....are OD's allowed to teach? any optometry school students who have professors who are only OD's? or are almost all of them OD/PhD's or PhD's?

But also i think with a PhD you can teach in other schools non-optometry.

at ico most of the didactic faculty are OD/PhD, while clinical faculty was mostly just OD.

The state school tenure track faculty all seem to have PhDs (in addition to ODs).

Many of the private schools seem to have many OD-only faculty.

i think if you also do a residency program, you can teach afterwards. the MS/PhD programs are more for research other than teaching...