Belsomra for spasticity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lokimon

Reaction score
Patient couldn’t tolerate baclofen for spasticity but reported his sleeping medicine belsomra alleviated sx by about 50 to 75 percent in dose dependent manner. Gradually titrated to 60 mg per day over many months, dosed 20 mg tid. Patient is very happy, reports mild drowsiness and mild leg weakness with no other side effects. From my research, this drug due to mechanism of action does relax skeletal muscle. I’m considering trying higher doses but worried about being the only one doing this. Any thoughts on this use and dose of suvorexant / belsomra would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Patient couldn’t tolerate baclofen for spasticity but reported his sleeping medicine belsomra alleviated sx by about 50 to 75 percent in dose dependent manner. Gradually titrated to 60 mg per day over many months, dosed 20 mg tid. Patient is very happy, reports mild drowsiness and mild leg weakness with no other side effects. From my research, this drug due to mechanism of action does relax skeletal muscle. I’m considering trying higher doses but worried about being the only one doing this. Any thoughts on this use and dose of suvorexant / belsomra would be great.

I good night sleep is a good thing? But in this case, you're using it over the day, so I totally don't get it. I'm interested in where there's a mechanism - I'm not aware of orexin's role in the spine or muscles, only cataplexy with too much loss of tone.

I'm friendly with some folks at Merck, DM me if you'd like an intro. I know they'd be interested in talking to you. They are obviously trying to broaden the indication.