Question re spasticity pattern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleshwound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In cerebral palsy, spastic diplegia, scissoring gait is from leg adductors being tight. Why are those muscle groups preferentially affected?

Similarly, how does post stroke spasticity also lead to respective characteristic posture of arms and legs? I tried to reason through if a long tract pattern could have any influence but didn't get anywhere. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm afraid I don't remember many of the details at this stage of the game, but I do have a little insight for you. The spasticity from cerebral palsy looks much different because the stroke occurred in utero before the motor system has fully developed. For whatever reason this leads to co-contraction of agonist-antagonist pairings and a great deal of spasticity.

Following adult stroke you end up with increased flexor tone in the upper extremities and extensor tone in the lower extremities. Some think this is evolutional because with that pattern you are more likely to recover the ability to ambulate.

Reactions: 1 users