Being replied by a PD and Chair of the same program "Hoping to work with you"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longlost.s

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know this question has been asked multiple times, but I am stressed out here. I am a 3rd time repeat applicant. I really want to get matched this cycle, and I have worked really hard all these years to improve my resume and interview skills. I got a few interviews for the third time, and I do not want to ruin it this year, which is why I practiced a lot and calmed myself down before interviews. Now one of the places that I really liked myself, is a new program though (no batch graduated yet), but my interview went pretty well. On the interview day, 5 faculty members who interviewed me, really liked me, and we got along really well.

When I sent them a thank you e-mail, the PD as well as the chair of the dept replied to me "Hoping to work with you". It means a lot to me, since in the previous two cycles, I was never replied to like this, not even replied to at all by any faculty or PD. So I am not sure if this is a positive sign or new programs tend to do it?

I did not match mainly maybe because of my performance on the interviews, though my scores are also not exceptional, I have publications and years of experience in research (in the same specialty I applied) with publications, and my past research exp at one of the top institutes is what attracted a few programs maybe. I have worked really hard, we all work really hard.

I am asking this question here, should this e-mail reduce just a percentage of my stress? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I know this question has been asked multiple times, but I am stressed out here. I am a 3rd time repeat applicant. I really want to get matched this cycle, and I have worked really hard all these years to improve my resume and interview skills. I got a few interviews for the third time, and I do not want to ruin it this year, which is why I practiced a lot and calmed myself down before interviews. Now one of the places that I really liked myself, is a new program though (no batch graduated yet), but my interview went pretty well. On the interview day, 5 faculty members who interviewed me, really liked me, and we got along really well.

When I sent them a thank you e-mail, the PD as well as the chair of the dept replied to me "Hoping to work with you". It means a lot to me, since in the previous two cycles, I was never replied to like this, not even replied to at all by any faculty or PD. So I am not sure if this is a positive sign or new programs tend to do it?

I did not match mainly maybe because of my performance on the interviews, though my scores are also not exceptional, I have publications and years of experience in research (in the same specialty I applied) with publications, and my past research exp at one of the top institutes is what attracted a few programs maybe. I have worked really hard, we all work really hard.

I am asking this question here, should this e-mail reduce just a percentage of my stress? Thanks!

no...programs will say nice things...they are being polite.

Reactions: 1 users
Some programs will say this to everyone.

...I am asking this question here, should this e-mail reduce just a percentage of my stress? Thanks!

So in response to this question, yes, you should reduce your stress, because its out of your hands. The reply may mean absolutely nothing, as others have mentioned, but you should absolutely relax, and just let things go. You've worked hard, put your best foot forward and just let the chips fall where they may.

Yes. The email is either meaningless or good, but it's certainly not bad. That means your stress should only go down from this and not up.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my friends at another medical school stated that their Dean of Students gave a talk on the R3 system and how to go about ranking, and made an explicit point that post-interview communication that you receive from programs is worthless.

He gives an actual example of real communication a student received a number of years ago in the month of January, along with the result:

Dear [APPLICANT],

We have thoroughly enjoyed your visit with us and it is clear you will excel wherever you choose to go.

You represent the kind of candidate that has traditionally done well in our program and we hope to have the opportunity to work with you in the coming year.

Yours sincerely,
Dr. Fancy Pants
Program Director, Internal Medicine
Famous General Hospital

The applicant in question ranked this program #1. The applicant did not match at this program.

They may very well be sending this email to entice you to rank them highly, therefore putting the match in their favor so they don't go far down their list or so they can pick and choose their incoming class based off applicants who rank/tell them they're their #1 program. I've seen it happen before.

Reactions: 1 user
There are only two statements that hold weight in post match communication.

From student: “I am ranking your program number 1”

From program: “we are ranking you to match”

Everything else don’t matter.

There are only two statements that hold weight in post match communication.

From student: “I am ranking your program number 1”

From program: “we are ranking you to match”

Everything else don’t matter.
Even those hold no weight since it is well known that both some applicants and some programs are...let's just say, somewhat less than completely truthful.

Reactions: 2 users