Being "Back Up" call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveSparkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently heard of something called "back up call" - so during night call, if both residents (making up the whole night team) get called into the OR, a 3rd resident can be called from home if they are on the "back up call" schedule. I had never heard of this concept before, does anyone know more about how this practically works, or how often back up systems are used? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We have back-up call at my program. It is mainly used for operative cases (for our program at least). It is very hit and miss. Usually you aren't called in from home to go to the OR but it can happen. We also use it (and this is very, very rare) for instances when our L&D board is a disaster or triage is a disaster and there is no way for the night residents to cover all of the patients.

It all really depends on how a program uses their back-up call person. So, it may be a good question to ask for clarity because not everyone does it the same.

We have back-up call at my program. It is mainly used for operative cases (for our program at least). It is very hit and miss. Usually you aren't called in from home to go to the OR but it can happen. We also use it (and this is very, very rare) for instances when our L&D board is a disaster or triage is a disaster and there is no way for the night residents to cover all of the patients.

It all really depends on how a program uses their back-up call person. So, it may be a good question to ask for clarity because not everyone does it the same.

Thanks for your response! if you come in for backup call, does that count towards your hours (in terms of regulations etc)? How is it kept track of (if it even is!). THANKS!

Yes, once you are called in you count the hours you are in the hospital. They are logged as "clinical hours worked." You don't count sitting at your house waiting for the call :)