before med-school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BABiology

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone...I would like to know what kind of job yall had before yall got into med school...were yall already in health care or not?

if not....did yall have previous experience in the health field?

I have no health care experience and I want to volunteer at a hospital...and shadow some DO myself.

anyone thanks

Members don't see this ad.

anyone????

BTW...what does bump mean?????

A lot of premeds on here are EMTs and paramedics, but there are also people that are fresh out of undergrad (or still in it, like myself). You're going to need some kind of experience to apply to med school, and volunteering is a great way to start- as is shadowing. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by BABiology
anyone...I would like to know what kind of job yall had before yall got into med school...were yall already in health care or not?

if not....did yall have previous experience in the health field?

I have no health care experience and I want to volunteer at a hospital...and shadow some DO myself.

anyone thanks

I was a research assoc. for a lab. I volunteered at the ER on the weekends. If I had to do it all over again, I would work at a clothing store :p

bump stands for "bringing up my post" or something like that.

Work the scut jobs. Draw blood, change beds, wipe butts.

If you can handle this work, and even draw meaning from it, then you can apply with confidence. You will be able to apply, knowing why you are doing it, and knowing that your experience will aid your success.

When I was in high school I worked as a volunteer at my area hospital - I saw operations (including a graphic below the knee amputation - then I carried the leg to the lab!) and put in over 180 hours doing different things. I thought for sure I wanted to do physical therapy but switched over to biochem once I hit the "biochem" part of the pt program. (I liked it too much to just take a semester...)

I had always thought about med school but figured I'd want to do research and would go the PhD route (and at that point med school seemed like a lot of years and a lot of money). A summer research experience cinched that as much as I enjoyed biochem I wasn't ready for a life in a lab and I started looking into med schools. I decided that the time commitment wasn't that big of a deal and I have had enough people tell me that it will be worth the $200K I'll have in loans!

I graduated from college a year ago and have been working as a substitute teacher and as a lifeguard. I think my hospital experiences (shadowing and as a volunteer) have helped me see what medicine is really all about but I'm glad I've done something else this year. I'm ready to get back into classes and ready to focus on medicine! :)

I taught (middle school, then later community college & college). I also worked a few years as an administrator for a local professional medical organization. No previous clinical experience.

I was a student athletic trainer for four years during undergrad and also got certified as an EMT. Then I moved and began my pre-med pre-recs at a junior college, so I got a job as a nurse's aide, then later worked as a respiratory therapist. I also got certified as a phlebotomist as well. So I had a lot of clinical experience but there are a lot of people in my class that did not do anything like that, besides shadow a DO for a bit.

Just as long as you have something that makes you unique, you have a decent shot of becoming accepted!

Chris

Thanks all!

I will try to do some volunteering at hospitals for the summer. Since I have to work and I return to school in the fall.

Thanks for the info. :)