Gap years before medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of school for three years now and I was just wondering how difficult it is to assimilate to medical school after a long time of not studying. Anyone had a similar experience? Should I study anything before school starts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been out for 7 years. Just started OMS1. No impact. It'll be hard regardless

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Do you recommend studying anything before starting?
No. Absolutely not. Depending on your school, you may be studying 10 - 20 hours a day. Everything you do outside of school will be the tinest fraction of what you do in school. So you try to prestudy you will be missing on that early process of adapting to being thrown into an insanely difficult environment. You need to adapt on the spot.

Reactions: 1 users
No. Absolutely not. Depending on your school, you may be studying 10 - 20 hours a day. Everything you do outside of school will be the tinest fraction of what you do in school. So you try to prestudy you will be missing on that early process of adapting to being thrown into an insanely difficult environment. You need to adapt on the spot.
Agree re never pre-study for medical school. However based on what I've heard my peers say, 5-7 hours of studying per day is average, with a handful of outliers studying only a few hours per day and a handful studying 8-10. Personally study 3-4 hours per day and get by ok.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been out of school for three years now and I was just wondering how difficult it is to assimilate to medical school after a long time of not studying. Anyone had a similar experience? Should I study anything before school starts?
I was out for 2 years before starting which is fairly similar to your scenario of 3 years. I mean I think this is very subjective, but I didn't have any issues and always performed above class average. Take this with a grain of salt though. The hardest part wasn't learning the material, the hardest part was the sheer amount of material. Once you are able to adjust to this then medical school really isn't terrible.

Do you recommend studying anything before starting?

Med school curriculums are very specifically designed to progress through a specific order and give you content in a manner to help you understand and retain information. If you try to prestudy you’ll just be all over the place and it won’t help at all.