Bee sting treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmdA07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today there was a lady coming into my store and the pharmacist on staff was on the phone with MD. The lady had a bee sting really red and swollen on her left arm. I had to leave to pick up my sweetheart right away. But I'm curious about a good OTC recommendation for this kind of bee sting? Hydrocortisone for redness and lanacane for itchness? Is there any rx that treat these? Thnks in advance those answering this silly question from a P1. ^-^

Members don't see this ad.

Diphenhydramine and ibuprofen. Hydrocortisone prn itching.

• Diphenhydramine 25mg - 50 mg q6 prn
  • Ice 20 minutes/hour
  • Since bee sting reactions are mix of foreign proteins and formic acid, I also like to recommend sting kill or other items that contain some type of basic compound to neutralize the burning due to formic acid.
  • Analgesics prn for pain.
  • Please make sure the stinger is removed.
  • Warn the patient if there is any swelling of the lips, tongue or mouth or any difficulty breathing, emergency treatment will be required.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, thanks a lot for the responses. Today we have a another kid coming in with a burn on his arm. He played with the hot stove while the nany was on the phone. My pharmacist recommended cold ice. BUt the momy was impossible: she freaked out :D BUt anyway, I am kindda interested in these quick treatments though. IS there a book/ resources that covers these first aid things that pharmacists should know? You know stuffs like bee sting, sunburn, finger cut etc.?
Also, do anybody here know a good book on dosage form that is concise, easy to read, in a short-hand-notes type of thing. I 'm not looking for another MArtin's Physical pchem text book. We went over the SL and SR/CR last week and I'm kindda like them. I feel like my reservoir of dosage form knowledge is kindda a dead-end though. I'd love to have a book showing me things like solution having fastest onset of actions, TTS has longest duration of actions or ointment is used to hydrate while gel is used to dehydrate. Thanks in advance guys ;)

Burns are more complicated for self treatment and present a number of issues.

• You must be able to recognize the difference between first and second degree burns. Second degree burns require physician attention. Also since there are issues with human vanity, some first degree burns may also require a physician consultation depending on where they are located.
  • I would never place ice directly on a burn. You want cold compresses or if the location can be submerged, get a bowl of ice and water and submerge the burned area for 15-20 minutes. A bowl of ice water is colder than ice applied directly.
  • Analgesics for pain as needed.
  • Topical antibiotic ointments (avoid Neosporin as the neomycin can be sensitizing) and sterile dressings. Paper tape is easier on the skin than cloth tape.

Thanks OldTimer. Any suggestions on the books? Any one??

I've been out of school too long for text books.....

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the responses. Today we have a another kid coming in with a burn on his arm. He played with the hot stove while the nany was on the phone. My pharmacist recommended cold ice. BUt the momy was impossible: she freaked out :D BUt anyway, I am kindda interested in these quick treatments though. IS there a book/ resources that covers these first aid things that pharmacists should know? You know stuffs like bee sting, sunburn, finger cut etc.?
Also, do anybody here know a good book on dosage form that is concise, easy to read, in a short-hand-notes type of thing. I 'm not looking for another MArtin's Physical pchem text book. We went over the SL and SR/CR last week and I'm kindda like them. I feel like my reservoir of dosage form knowledge is kindda a dead-end though. I'd love to have a book showing me things like solution having fastest onset of actions, TTS has longest duration of actions or ointment is used to hydrate while gel is used to dehydrate. Thanks in advance guys ;)

The Handbook on Nonprescription drugs is a decent resource. It breaks each condition that can be treated with OTCs down and also helps you recognize when you can self-treat. However, you will need to find something more condensed to take to work with you. I have a little flip cart thing that is pocket size that takes key information out of the Handbook of nonprescription drugs and summarizes it nicely. I don't know what is available commercially though b/c I got it at the expo at APha last year.