Bcps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngmc11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you to study for BCPS? How did you approach it? Any advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My friend gave me the old materials a few years ago. I just finally decided to take it this year. Is it better just to buy new materials or can I get by using 2011 materials?

I'm taking it this fall and am using the 2012 ACCP material as well as the updated ASHP material. I'm a resident so I bought ASHP's little 7-year-deal thingy where they give you all study materials, lectures, and future CEs. I know ACCP is supposedly better for the exam, but I'm hoping that with the ASHP stuff, if there have been guideline updates then I'll at least be alerted to the basics. That's my strategy, at least!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I have way too much stuff to study from. I have all the 2014 home study stuff, a friend bought the 2015 book only and shared the pdfs with me, I have the ASHP course material that I got for free with the 7 year commitment, and then I got High Yield Med Review (which I'm kind of regretting). I also have no motivation to study. I'm tired, yo. :(

I think I have way too much stuff to study from. I have all the 2014 home study stuff, a friend bought the 2015 book only and shared the pdfs with me, I have the ASHP course material that I got for free with the 7 year commitment, and then I got High Yield Med Review (which I'm kind of regretting). I also have no motivation to study. I'm tired, yo. :(

Get the tapes ( ACCP MP3 or MP4) if you don't already have them and play in the car as you commute. Little effort but you'll be surprised at how much knowledge you gain from that. I also lacked motivation to study & the tapes helped me so much! I played them all the time including on my walks.

Anyone else waiting for the Spring BPS test results. I'm guessing its gonna come around June 20th (date it got released last year) but golly I can't wait much longer!

Question...I have been practicing as a clinical inpatient pharmacist since graduating in 2014, involved with P&T/Med Safety/Antimicrobial Stewardship committees, precepting students, providing hospital wide inservices in cardiology/infectious disease, etc. I did not do a residency due to being offered a clinical inpatient job prior to applying for residencies. Does anyone know of any loopholes to taking the BCPS exam earlier than 3 years without having a PGY1? Thanks!

Question...I have been practicing as a clinical inpatient pharmacist since graduating in 2014, involved with P&T/Med Safety/Antimicrobial Stewardship committees, precepting students, providing hospital wide inservices in cardiology/infectious disease, etc. I did not do a residency due to being offered a clinical inpatient job prior to applying for residencies. Does anyone know of any loopholes to taking the BCPS exam earlier than 3 years without having a PGY1? Thanks!

I don't think there are any. Unfortunately, I think you have to wait it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Annual pass/fail rates are available on the BPS website: http://www.bpsweb.org/news/annual_reports.cfm
Thanks for the info. But I would like to know how many question has to be answered correctly in order to pass the test, not the passing rate. I understand that the passing score varies each year, but I just want to get some idea on that. Thank you.

Thanks for the info. But I would like to know how many question has to be answered correctly in order to pass the test, not the passing rate. I understand that the passing score varies each year, but I just want to get some idea on that. Thank you.

Apologies; I misunderstood your question. As far as I know, it's initially graded on a straight scale to get a raw score, and then the raw scores scaled. How the scaling/curving is done, I'm not sure anyone would have a clue except the BPS itself. I'm guessing it varies from year to year, depending on the candidates' performance as a whole instead of using a predefined cutoff. Similarly with NAPLEX, how significant is a score difference of 110 vs 130? Who knows, except both are passing scores.

Planning to take my BCPS in Fall. I need updated spring 2015 materials. pm me if you are interested in sharing/selling.

How did you know when the scores were coming out?? the wait hurts too much
Yes it does!! When I called BPS right after taking the exam, a rep told me the results will probably be out in 6-7 weeks. When I called this week, I was told first week of July. That is much later than the prior couple of years. Plus, BPS and Castle both said the scores are being released differently than previous years. Castle won't be releasing them. An email will be released detailing how to retrieve scores. That may explain the delay or maybe we will get scores tomorrow like previous test cycles. Who knows? The wait is killing me though. :)

I was stomped on several clinical questions but what I'm most worried about is the non-clinical sections like practice management. I guessed on SOOO many of those. That whole second half of the exam was just complete guesses.

Yes it does!! When I called BPS right after taking the exam, a rep told me the results will probably be out in 6-7 weeks. When I called this week, I was told first week of July. That is much later than the prior couple of years. Plus, BPS and Castle both said the scores are being released differently than previous years. Castle won't be releasing them. An email will be released detailing how to retrieve scores. That may explain the delay or maybe we will get scores tomorrow like previous test cycles. Who knows? The wait is killing me though. :)[/QUOT.

Thanks for sharing. I feel the same way regarding the 2nd half of the test. First half was not as bad. I may call them next week

I called and they said first week of July as well, maybe second week. That could also be a generic answer because it will almost be 60 days by that point.

Last edited:
Would they release the result during the weekend? Are we going to wait for another week? The wait is killing me!

How long did you guys take to study? I'm getting nervous about this test. I started studying a couple of weeks ago. I've also been doing a lot of questions from the ACCP Flip Card app on my phone (actually went through all of them). I know about 55% of the material without studying. I don't know if that's good or bad! I thought about withdrawing my application to take the test, but they keep $200 of your money and won't give you the rest until after the testing period is over, so I won't see my $400 until October. I figure it's probably better to just take the test and fail it then to completely lose out of $200. I've also known people that spent only a few months studying and passed it. I guess I'm just worried because I'm moving, starting a new job, I have to get licensed in a new state and then also have to study for this test but then I know people who are working full-time, have families, work in administration so may not remember all the clinical stuff, and started studying in like July and passed the test so I really shouldn't have an excuse. Bah! :)

Score results for the Spring 2015 testing window will be available in early July. Candidates who tested during this window will receive an email from BPS with instructions for retrieving scores through their MyBPS account as soon as scores are available for their specialty area. Please note, BPS cannot give our scores via phone or email.

source:bps website

Yah it sucks, but i read this today to help calm my nerves

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6

Reactions: 5 users
Asking for opinions from those that took the BCPS. I'm scheduled for Fall 2015. I already paid my money and was approved to take it. I'm now thinking of delaying it until Spring 2016. I've been really stressed. I'm moving for my first "real" job after completing two years of residency, I'm taking a month off to spend with family, and I'll be moving to a new state for my job so having to get settled in before I start working. Additionally, the BCPS + licensure exams = 3 tests I would need to be studying for on top of everything else I have to do.

I've only really started studying the biostatistics part of the exam, and I completed all the ACCP Flip Card questions for review. I would have basically 3 months to study and prepare for the exam. What would you guys do? Would you go ahead and take it or just postpone it until Spring 2016? I emailed BPS to see if I could defer my registration until Spring 2016 or if I have to cancel my exam, lose $200, and then reapply for the Spring 2016 exam. It's so stupid. I feel like I did two years of residency and 3 months of studying should be more than enough, but I have a fear of failure and also worried that I won't get in much studying with being with my family and preparing for new job. Thoughts, suggestions, and opinions much appreciated!

Asking for opinions from those that took the BCPS. I'm scheduled for Fall 2015. I already paid my money and was approved to take it. I'm now thinking of delaying it until Spring 2016. I've been really stressed. I'm moving for my first "real" job after completing two years of residency, I'm taking a month off to spend with family, and I'll be moving to a new state for my job so having to get settled in before I start working. Additionally, the BCPS + licensure exams = 3 tests I would need to be studying for on top of everything else I have to do.

I've only really started studying the biostatistics part of the exam, and I completed all the ACCP Flip Card questions for review. I would have basically 3 months to study and prepare for the exam. What would you guys do? Would you go ahead and take it or just postpone it until Spring 2016? I emailed BPS to see if I could defer my registration until Spring 2016 or if I have to cancel my exam, lose $200, and then reapply for the Spring 2016 exam. It's so stupid. I feel like I did two years of residency and 3 months of studying should be more than enough, but I have a fear of failure and also worried that I won't get in much studying with being with my family and preparing for new job. Thoughts, suggestions, and opinions much appreciated!

Just take it, if you postpone and retake next year, $200 overall loss ($400 refund, $600 sitting fee for 2016). If you fail it = $300 retake fee.

Double check to see if the fees changed.

If you have a 50/50 shot at failing it, the statistical expected value of taking the exam is -$150, vs. -$200 for canceling it.

The threshold is a ~67% chance of failure, beyond that point it makes more sense to cancel.

Reactions: 1 users
i deferred from spring 15 to fall and when i called bcps to confirm they got my email the lady said something like you can only defer from spring to fall, not fall to spring. not sure if thats true. call them to be sure. they dont respond to emails fast.

Just take it, if you postpone and retake next year, $200 overall loss ($400 refund, $600 sitting fee for 2016). If you fail it = $300 retake fee.

If you have a 50/50 shot at failing it, the statistical expected value of taking the exam is -$150, vs. -$200 for canceling it.

The threshold is a ~67% chance of failure, beyond that point it makes more sense to cancel.

Agreed; the registration fee was raised to $685, so there's also that. Strangely, most of the fretting was done after the exam, not during the studying. This 60-day wait is really killing me, especially since I'd really been counting on knowing whether or not I had passed by 6 weeks' time. :nailbiting: I need to go find a support group.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Agreed; the registration fee was raised to $685, so there's also that. Strangely, most of the fretting was done after the exam, not during the studying. This 60-day wait is really killing me, especially since I'd really been counting on knowing whether or not I had passed by 6 weeks' time. :nailbiting: I need to go find a support group.
Total agreement. I thought 6 weeks too so every day after is an eternity. We should start a support group. I keep stalking my phone, their website, Castle's website, this website hoping someone has new info. ;) My name is Nikki and I need help. Lol

Total agreement. I thought 6 weeks too so every day after is an eternity. We should start a support group. I keep stalking my phone, their website, Castle's website, this website hoping someone has new info. ;) My name is Nikki and I need help. Lol
And here I thought I was the only one who was doing all that! The wait could constitute cruel and unusual punishment!

You could always take the mock exams. I feel like if you can at least answer 60% of those questions, with a little bit of studying you should be fine for the real deal. Granted I don't know if I passed or not...waiting like everyone else!

Also I may have called BPS who stated July 6th week. It's not even July first week as I had hoped.....

If anyone else hears anything diff, please let us know!

You could always take the mock exams. I feel like if you can at least answer 60% of those questions, with a little bit of studying you should be fine for the real deal. Granted I don't know if I passed or not...waiting like everyone else!
I wish I had known about the mock exams!

Also I may have called BPS who stated July 6th week. It's not even July first week as I had hoped.....

If anyone else hears anything diff, please let us know!

I sent an email and was told "Thanks for getting in touch. Results should be available sometime between July 7th and 10th"

Spring 2015 Exam Results Available July 9-10
Score results for the Spring 2015 testing window will be available July 9-10. Candidates who tested during this window will receive an email from BPS with instructions for retrieving scores through their MyBPS account as soon as scores are available for their specialty area. Please note, BPS cannot give our scores via phone or email.

source: BPS website

I'm still holding out hope that "as soon as scores are available for their specialty area" really means "any day now, but we say July 9th just to keep you squirming!"

They're keeping our scores hostage! I was also holding out for an early release but now that they've given specific dates, I guess that's that. :annoyed: Gotta wonder what the delay is all about.

Spring 2015 Exam Results Available July 9-10
Score results for the Spring 2015 testing window will be available July 9-10. Candidates who tested during this window will receive an email from BPS with instructions for retrieving scores through their MyBPS account as soon as scores are available for their specialty area. Please note, BPS cannot give our scores via phone or email.

source: BPS website

OMG! Are they aware that we have to ask our university to send the hard copy of our transcript to them if we want to retake the exam in Fall 2015, and the deadline for the Fall exam is 1st August!!! I may miss the chance to retake it this year!:arghh: