bcmp gpa question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freakedout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a chemical engineering major, my question is that is there a option on the amcas, so I can include my intro engineering classes which were a review of chemistry physics and math , so you have a solid foundation before you start taking major classes; in my bcmp gpa.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know, but in my opinion I don't think you can include engineering courses in the bcmp gpa. Are they listed as math classes or science classes?

My instincts as a engineer's wife say No.

I don't believe that you count engineering classes. Hence the lack of an E in BCMP. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly. AMCAS does GPA calculations for you based on the classes you enter elsewhere on the app. BCMP calculations include only Bio, Chem, Math and Physics category classes.
Now, you can try to enter these classes under say Chemistry category. Then they will count. AMCAS does extensive checking on your app anyhow. They will correct it if they don't agree with your designatins.
One of my Computer Science classes was Discrete Mathematics. Although it had a CS designation, I entered it as math. AMCAS was fine with it.

I'm a chemical engineer. I've heard many chemE's can get away with putting all their chemE courses under BCPM gpa because on their transcripts the abbr. is Ch E or Chem E or something similiar. Looks like chemistry. I didn't do this because I was afraid if it didn't work then my app would take longer to process by AMCAS plus I didn't feel all my engineering courses were BCPM, especially the programming ones. I did put courses like thermo because that was specifically considered a chem course in the AMCAS instructions. I think I included transport as well, but not unit ops, statics, or circuits because I did not feel they were true BCPM courses put in the def by AMCAS. If the course abbr. is Eng first on your transcript, the AMCAS reviewers may have a problem with it. So I think it is up to you. A lot may also have to do with what your gpas look with or without the courses. I don't know why most engineering courses are not considered BCPM, but at least adcoms will see the degree you will obtain.

If the course name has Chem or Physics in it, you could probably stick it in there, and it'll be fine. What are the actual class titles on your transcript?