BCLS instructor: worthit or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emttim

Addicted to SCUBA
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was thinking of doing the AHA Core Instructor and then AHA BCLS Instructor courses because I like teaching and I figure it'd be an excellent way to keep my CPR skills fresh and up to date. Has anyone here been a BCLS, ACLS, PALS, etc. instructor? How much of a PITA was it to start? Did you just teach classes at the place you got your instructor cert from? Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

All three now...I've been teaching BLS for 6 years and it is great experience if you like teaching. As for how hard it is? The core instructor class is a little annoying...the whole learning how to teach thing...yea annoying! I've also found it a little hard to get enough classes in for my recert with all of the shifts I've been picking up recently.

So in answer...if you like teaching, go for it! The instructor class isn't too bad, heck, its only a few hours! If you teach two classes a year (and seriously..that's not hard) then recerting is easy. Paperwork is a bit of a pain, but manageable..

Nate.

All three now...I've been teaching BLS for 6 years and it is great experience if you like teaching. As for how hard it is? The core instructor class is a little annoying...the whole learning how to teach thing...yea annoying! I've also found it a little hard to get enough classes in for my recert with all of the shifts I've been picking up recently.

So in answer...if you like teaching, go for it! The instructor class isn't too bad, heck, its only a few hours! If you teach two classes a year (and seriously..that's not hard) then recerting is easy. Paperwork is a bit of a pain, but manageable..

Nate.

Well, I was mainly wondering how much of a pain in the ass it is to actually get the pre-reqs for the class. AHA web site states you have to have a letter of rec from someone, need to be affiliated with a training center, and some other idiotic requirement that I can't remember off the top of my head. It's almost as if they expect you to just magically already be buddy-buddy with a place that offers the class.

How do you arrange classes? Do you work for a training center or for yourself?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I was mainly wondering how much of a pain in the ass it is to actually get the pre-reqs for the class. AHA web site states you have to have a letter of rec from someone, need to be affiliated with a training center, and some other idiotic requirement that I can't remember off the top of my head. It's almost as if they expect you to just magically already be buddy-buddy with a place that offers the class.

Becoming affiliated with a training center, I think, is the hardest part. I'm going through the process of becoming an ACLS instructor now. It took me forever to find a training center in the area that would take on another instructor. The instructor potential letter isn't all that hard to get. When you next take ACLS/PALS/whatever just inform the primary instructor of your intentions, and they'll "look more closely" at your mega-code, and you have to get >90% on the written test (maybe >94%, something like that).

Huh...ok, I never really had to do that...I've been teaching for EMS agencies from the beginning. So I guess I can't help you with that part.

Nate.

The course I took was put on by a local TC. They gave us the option to affiliate with them after the course, but were free to affiliate anywhere. The main requirements are the LOR (which can be a simple signature on a form), the course, affiliation, and supervised teaching.

You work primarily for yourself and are responsible for setting up your own courses/obtaining your own materials, etc. As long as you submit copies of the required paperwork to your TC and teach only the courses you're authorized to, you do whatever you like.

The course I took was put on by a local TC. They gave us the option to affiliate with them after the course, but were free to affiliate anywhere.

This was how my TC operated as well. I took the default option and teach through them. It's a lot less hassle if you don't work for an agency that is certified to be a TC. I don't really teach much anymore, just to other medical students, but it's a good experience. The actual classes aren't hard it can just be odd working them into your schedule sometimes (or at least that was in my area). Good luck.

I did the default option as well. My TC offered the internship and I took it. They do the whole course after interning for 2-3 semesters. The internship basically consists of teaching CPR and all the skills on Saturday classes (6-8 hours of pure skills training). From what I hear, most of the instructors that were teaching me did the same thing. So I guess being "buddy-buddy" from the beginning pays off. :D