BCGP Fall 2018 Candidates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anyone else taking the BCGP exam? Looking for advice, recent study material, and study friends. I'm willing to do brunch study sessions :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am interested in the same thing What did you end up using to prep?

I am interested in the same thing What did you end up using to prep?

So far, I'm using nothing because there isn't really that much out there. I printed out the Beer's criteria as a place to start.

Here are some options I'm potentially looking into (as non-member in either association):
  • ASHP prep course and practice exam is $600
  • ASCP has an exam and study material but will run you $599 for the prep course and practice exam
The material available is quite expensive. But it does beat having to retake the exam and buying it later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Quick question for you guys...I'm interested in taking the BCGP exam but I'm a little worried it'll end up being just a waste of money. Can I ask you why you guys are planning to take the exam? If you don't mind sharing : )

Hey! Quick question for you guys...I'm interested in taking the BCGP exam but I'm a little worried it'll end up being just a waste of money. Can I ask you why you guys are planning to take the exam? If you don't mind sharing : )

1. Part of my motivation is just self-satisfaction of not being mediocre.
2. It's a long term play for me. The market is getting more competitive, and I've already started seeing jobs requiring board certification. I also commonly see it preferred if not required.
3. It's a good way to stay current in therapeutics if you don't have the motivation to just be up to date yourself.
4. I'm looking to get paid more, so I need all the justification I can bring to the table.

2. It's a long term play for me. The market is getting more competitive, and I've already started seeing jobs requiring board certification. I also commonly see it preferred if not required.
3. It's a good way to stay current in therapeutics if you don't have the motivation to just be up to date yourself.
4. I'm looking to get paid more, so I need all the justification I can bring to the table.
Same reasons here. I am writing for second time on Oct 1st:

Did anyone take the exam this fall? What did you think? I thought it was fairly difficult. I’m wondering how many questions out of 175 we’ll need correct to pass. I know they have some kind of proprietary scoring system

Did anyone take the exam this fall? What did you think? I thought it was fairly difficult. I’m wondering how many questions out of 175 we’ll need correct to pass. I know they have some kind of proprietary scoring system
Hey spurbs, have not taken that one. Thinking about it though. What resources did you use to study? Any advice on which study material or practice exams are more useful? I've heard High Yield isn't so great for geriatrics.

I'm reviewing with the High Yield Med Reviews course, and it feels like a waste of time. 40% of the exam covers non-therapeutics, and his review course is essentially BCPS repackaged with almost nothing that pointedly covers that 40%.

I wonder if ASCP's boot camp would have been a better use of funds.

The Spring test had a 43% pass rate, so good luck.

Update for anyone interested: HYMR responded to an email from me, saying they recognize their BCGP course isn't up to their usual standard, and they offered a full refund. Fair play.

Edit: they've now removed the offering from their website. That was quick.

Last edited:
Hey spurbs, have not taken that one. Thinking about it though. What resources did you use to study? Any advice on which study material or practice exams are more useful? I've heard High Yield isn't so great for geriatrics.

I used the ASCP Boot Camp. I really focused on that material, but some of the topics they breezed over had a decent amount of questions. If I have to retake it, I’ll have to focus more on smaller details.

I've noticed more and more jobs in the past year stating "BCPS required or able to obtain 1 year within hiring"