Baylor MSTP???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Chiquita

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Baylor is one of the affiliated institutions of Texas Medical Center, right? So for your PhD part of MSTP, can you do a research at one of the other institutions instead of at Baylor? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Its been a while since I visited Baylor, but from what I remember you could get your PhD from Baylor or Rice (usually for bioE). Since my interest was in cancer therapy, I was also told that with a little finagling you could collaborate with folks at MD Anderson. As far as institutions, I think you have to get your PhD from Baylor or Rice, but that doesn't mean you were forced to work with only those schools.

You'd probably get a clearer answer from one of the guys that ended up going to Baylor MSTP - I think there are a few floating around.

Dr. Chiquita said:
Baylor is one of the affiliated institutions of Texas Medical Center, right? So for your PhD part of MSTP, can you do a research at one of the other institutions instead of at Baylor? Thanks in advance.

I'm at UT-Houston. NORMALLY, Baylor students end up at Baylor Labs (or St. Luke's or the VA) and UT students end up at UT affiliated labes (like UT, MD Anderson, or A&M Biotech). I'm at MD Anderson. BUT, we've had Baylor students at Anderson, UT students at St. Luke's, UT students at Rice, etc. I'm actually on a BAYLOR grant right now (the only UT student on it). Kinda weird. There is a lot more collaboration among the grad schools than among the med schools.

I'm currently an upper level MSTP student (in the graduate phase) at Baylor. To answer your question, we have students that are working in labs at Baylor, Rice, Texas Children's Hospital, and MD Anderson. The main things that seems to govern where the student is the affiliation of the faculty member. Our thesis committees often have UT-Houston faculty (as our outside member) and many journal clubs are jointly run with UT-Houston. I see UT-H students at our seminars and I have been to plenty of seminars at MD Anderson. To me, although UT-Houston and Baylor are separate schools, the research faculty at both institutions are readily accessible.

In terms of the medical school, St. Luke's is jointly staffed by both Baylor and UT-Houston residents/students/faculty. They also share responsibility over Thomas Street, an HIV outpatient care clinic.