Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TexasRose said:
lucky us, right? Wonder if I can talk her into a carpool as well??? ;)

I bake, you drive? Works for me! (just kidding) :)

I actually wouldn't mind the possibility of a carpool with any first-years in Pearland. We should talk about setting one up during orientation.

Members don't see this ad.

ms. a said:
I bake, you drive? Works for me! (just kidding) :)

I actually wouldn't mind the possibility of a carpool with any first-years in Pearland. We should talk about setting one up during orientation.

How far is pearland from TMC?

Gleevec said:
How far is pearland from TMC?
It's 20 minutes, door to parking, without rush hour. I think it's about 25-30 minutes in traffic. We're buying out there for the family homes and schools for the kiddos. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up guys - I just got the call from Dr. Hill today, and honestly, I couldn't be more thrilled by the prospect of joining you guys this fall. I already know some of you from the amazing guidance you've provided me... the rest of you, I look forward to getting to know better over the next few months. I keep pinching myself to make sure this is all really happening. Cheers and best wishes!

sfgboy said:
What's up guys - I just got the call from Dr. Hill today, and honestly, I couldn't be more thrilled by the prospect of joining you guys this fall. I already know some of you from the amazing guidance you've provided me... the rest of you, I look forward to getting to know better over the next few months. I keep pinching myself to make sure this is all really happening. Cheers and best wishes!

Congrats =) :clap::clap:

Will be good to seeya this summer. Know where you're living yet?

Hey y'all, I will post this in more than one place, but we're having a Houston SDN get together at Amazon Grill at 6pm on Sat. Would love to meet more of the Baylor crowd! Gleevec will be there and I'm trying to convince HollyJ and ms. a as I type. ;) also, some of y'all may know EvoDevo, he'll be there.

Join us!

Amazon Grill
5114 Kirby Dr, Houston, TX 77098
Phone: (713) 522-5888

Article from TMC News.

Baylor College of Medicine and St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital have entered into a new affiliation agreement naming St. Luke's as the primary, private adult teaching hospital for Baylor medical students. The agreement, which went into effect April 24, ends The Methodist Hospital's 50-year designation as Baylor's main teaching hospital.

Prior to the new agreement, Baylor doctors, accompanied by Baylor students in training, saw about 14,000 inpatients each year at Methodist. On a much smaller scale and through an affiliation established in 1961, Baylor full-tim faculty saw about 1,000 inpatients each year at St. Luke's. Now, those numbers are expected to change.

Though the bulk of Baylor training will now take place at St. Luke's, Baylor and Methodist will continue their collaboration on a number of joint clinical and research programs.

"Baylor is not splitting with Methodist. Baylor is changing its primary private adult affiliate. Methodist will continue to be an important partner with Baylor in many clinical programs and in resident and student training," Baylor President and CEO Peter Traber, M.D., explains.

More than two dozen joint programs shared by Baylor and Methodist will remain at Methodist, including breast cancer study and treatment, cardiovascular disease, multiple organ transplant, psychiatry, diseases of inflammation, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, and others.

Details regarding specific programs that will move to St. Luke's have not been finalized, and it's likely that some programs will have a presence at both institutions, says Jack Lynch, interim CEO of the St. Luke's Episcopal Health System.

"Methodist has played a major role in teaching, research and patient care with Baylor, and we would expect them to continue to be a very important affiliate," Lynch says.

A key provision of the new agreement calls for Baylor to build and fund a new, one-stop adult outpatient clinic in the Texas Medical Center, where patients will access a multitude of medical services provided by Baylor doctors, all under one roof, and receive a single bill for all services provided. Traber first announced the college's intent to build its own ambulatory care clinic last summer. The exact cost and completion date for the clinic have yet to be determined.

During negotiations, Methodist had offered to build an outpatient clinic and rent space to Baylor, but the college wanted more control, and rejected the offer.

Currently, many Baylor doctors see patients at Scurlock and Smith Towers, owned by Methodist. Baylor physicians are expected to vacate Scurlock and Smith upon completion of the new Baylor clinic.

"St. Luke's is committed to working with the Baylor faculty and all our medical staff advancing the quality and convenience of care for our patients," Lynch says. "We all must remember that we are here to provide high-quality and convenient patient care while at the same time advancing the practice and science of medicine through teaching and research."

Convenience is key, says Stephen Spann, M.D., chair of Baylor's Family and Community Medicine Department. And Spann ought to know. His department is housed in a self-contained building on Kirby Drive, where patients obtain lab tests, X-rays, and other required services all in one place. Medical charts are computerized, affording doctors "at-your-fingertips" access with a simple keystroke, and patients can see their X-rays and other images on screen in the exam room, with the doctor present to explain the results.

"This is good, but the new Baylor outpatient clinic will be even better, especially for patients with multiple and complex problems. They can visit their primary care physician, then go straight to the orthopedic doctor, the rheumatologist, then on to an ultrasound - whatever their needs may be. No unnecessary repeat visits, everything done in sequence," Spann explains.

Methodist CEO Ron Girotto said, "We are very disappointed that Baylor College of Medicine has rejected our proposal for a renewed affiliation agreement that includes a new office building, expanded programs and a significant financial commitment up to $75 million for the first year."

Methodist is moving forward with the conceptual and design phase of a new Methodist Outpatient Center to be built adjacent to Scurlock and SMith Towers. Girotto said the 300,000 square-foot facility will "enhance the patient experience by providing unparalleled continuity, from obtaining an appointment, through diagnosis, treatment and follow-up."

Methodist is also proceeding with plans to build The Methodist Hospital Research Institute, which Girotto sas, with an initial funding of $100 million "is already energizing research activities at Methodist and receiving the attention of prominent individuals nationally.

In a letter to Methodist physicians dated April 21, Girotto said he will soon be meeting with each of Methodist's clinical department chiefs to determine how to continue developing their clinical specialties in light of this change.

"Most of the chiefs and Baylor physicians have already expressed their desire to continue practicing at Methodist," he says.

The next step for Methodist, Girotto says, is to consider affiliation with another medical school.

sfgboy said:

CONGRATS!!!

i wish i could make it to the houston get together, but i will be in martha's vineyard this weekend with some friends for a post-finals beach party! we have to have another one sometime in June so i can come! :p also someone should take pictures and post them afterwards :)

TexasRose said:
Hey y'all, I will post this in more than one place, but we're having a Houston SDN get together at Amazon Grill at 6pm on Sat. Would love to meet more of the Baylor crowd! Gleevec will be there and I'm trying to convince HollyJ and ms. a as I type. ;) also, some of y'all may know EvoDevo, he'll be there.

Join us!

Amazon Grill
5114 Kirby Dr, Houston, TX 77098
Phone: (713) 522-5888

I'd love to come, but I'm already committed to a 2-year old's birthday party in the afternoon, then baby-sitting another little boy in the evening. I know, I live a wild and crazy life. If you guys have another one, I'll really try to come!

sfgboy said:

Congratulations and here's another pinch :D

My graduation is Saturday ... not that I care that much, but there will be fireworks ... I'm a sucker for fireworks shows. Also gotta take pictures to send to grandma :)

Have fun guys - see you soon!

crazy eyes said:
Another point that no one has brought up is the RICE research that is affiliated with Baylor. The MSTP students in Bioengineering all train at RICE, the faculty in that department as well as many in the departments of neuroscience, molecular biology etc all have joint affiliations and are as much a part of Baylor as any other faculty member training Baylor students.

That reminds me of something I never verbally asked before. If a Baylor student wants to take something like medical Spanish or bioethics or something, what are the options at Baylor? Are there elective courses like that already available or would one have to look towards Rice (if that's even possible)?

Newquagmire said:
That reminds me of something I never verbally asked before. If a Baylor student wants to take something like medical Spanish or bioethics or something, what are the options at Baylor? Are there elective courses like that already available or would one have to look towards Rice (if that's even possible)?
I know the answer to this one. Baylor offers an elective course in medical Spanish and they have a bioethics track, leading up to a certificate. So plenty of coursework there.

And you take courses at Rice if you're MD/MBA - not sure what the protocol is for a Baylor student who just wants to take courses at Rice (as a one university concept like you see at Chicago and Penn). I would think you could do it if you asked.

My sister just graduated from high school - can't believe my baby sis is going to be in college next year. They grow up too fast...

I think the bioethics program is really good. Baruch Brody wrote my bioethics textbook and apparently its commonly used (and he is thought of highly in the community).

There's also some joint programs with UH that havent been mentioned (working on MD/JD, some of the basic bio is over there as well)

Members don't see this ad :)
BaylorLion said:
I know the answer to this one. Baylor offers an elective course in medical Spanish and they have a bioethics track, leading up to a certificate. So plenty of coursework there.

And you take courses at Rice if you're MD/MBA - not sure what the protocol is for a Baylor student who just wants to take courses at Rice (as a one university concept like you see at Chicago and Penn). I would think you could do it if you asked.

My sister just graduated from high school - can't believe my baby sis is going to be in college next year. They grow up too fast...

Wow, my sis is also going to college next year. Crazy.

This is probably not a big deal, but being a science geek, I think it's cool anytime you get a chance to hear Francis Collins speak.

http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/pa/graduation2004.htm

Now what would be REALLY cool is if they got Craig Venter to come, and the keynote "speech" became a keynote debate.

No nagging on the time posted - can't sleep. Too much nervous energy and I have to go to Houston early tomorrow for more condo-hunting. Joy.

Gleevec said:
I think the bioethics program is really good. Baruch Brody wrote my bioethics textbook and apparently its commonly used (and he is thought of highly in the community).

There's also some joint programs with UH that havent been mentioned (working on MD/JD, some of the basic bio is over there as well)

brody is indeed huge. so is englehart jr, another rice prof. what does the track consist of? additional courses during the 1.5 years or...?

I was in the Rice Religious Studies/Ethics department as an undergrad, and it is an unbelievable department. The Ethics department overlaps with the Religious Studies department and the Philosophy department, both of which are really, really top notch with some world-renowned faculty. If you want to do ethics, this is a fabulous place to do it.

ps: is there time to do this ethics track (or any other one) as a cstp/mstp, gleevec?

Newquagmire said:
ps: is there time to do this ethics track (or any other one) as a cstp/mstp, gleevec?

i think theyre just preclinical electives

im leaning towards cstp/msrt btw. ill take the required intro ethics course and prolly decide from there.

i think im the only one on this thread not interested in intl health, but i took a bioethics course in college and it was awesome.

msrt looks really good based on the depts sponsoring it and ive heard good things about it, so im leaning towards doing that, though ill prolly look at it more after they give presentations on it.

What is CSTP? I'm guessing it stands for Clinical Scientist Training Program, but it is new to me.

I hate house-hunting. Forget buying - to ms.a and everyone else out in Pearland - can I just sleep in a box in y'all's yard? Geez...

BaylorLion said:
What is CSTP? I'm guessing it stands for Clinical Scientist Training Program, but it is new to me.

I hate house-hunting. Forget buying - to ms.a and everyone else out in Pearland - can I just sleep in a box in y'all's yard? Geez...

yeah, CSTP are the classes/certification you get if you do MSRT track.

i forgot, you looking for a house or a condo baylorlion?

Gotcha. The research track sounds cool - but not sure if I want to tack on another year to med school.

Looking for a condo - looked at a couple around the med center today and the realtor also showed us two townhouses. My parents actually liked one of the townhouses. Go figure. So looks like I'll be spending July installing wood floors - fine by me, I like Home Depot.

buy a hammock and you're golden.

so with all this hospital business, i've become confused. do baylor students actually get to rotate thru md anderson/menninger clinic/texas childrens/the heart institute for their core rotations or is it only considered for "away" electives?

Newquagmire said:
buy a hammock and you're golden.

so with all this hospital business, i've become confused. do baylor students actually get to rotate thru md anderson/menninger clinic/texas childrens/the heart institute for their core rotations or is it only considered for "away" electives?

well crazyeyes said he did psych at md anderson, and since psychs a core rotation, looks like you can do core rotations at md anderson.

apparently its not even an away rotation, its just an "elective" rotation if you decide to go through md anderson.

menninger, tch, and thi are all parts of baylor now i believe. md anderson is affiliated with baylor.

These are the ramblings of a dumb and sleep-deprived premed - take them for what they're worth...

TCH has always been a Baylor institution - I think everyone does their peds stuff here.

Menninger is new but is Baylor-Methodist. Wonder how that'll play out. But I think it's the only real psychiatry department in the Baylor portion of TMC, and considering it's one of the top 5 psych hospitals in the country, I think Baylor will keep it under its wing.

THI has always been Baylor, and I'm sure with the new affiliation agreement more Baylor people will be there. That said, since it's all heart, how many med students are really going to be spending time there? Probably only a portion of internal med?

I am more confused than ever by the MD Anderson relationship. They have joint programs together, but I don't think the affiliation is that strong. Baylor doesn't list them as an affiliated hospital. That said, I don't think any rotation within a Baylor TMC institution (pretty much everything except Hermann) would (or at least should) be considered an away rotation. But we'll find out soon enough, I guess.

I wonder what would happen to the third-tier magazine rankings if they included Rice and MDA NIH funding for Baylor's total. For that matter, I wonder what people who do keep such tallies do with a hopsital like TIRR or St.Luke's, which are affiliated with both UTH and BCM?

Well, if you can do core and elective rotations there as crazyeyes described below, MD Anderson is considered a "home" institution.

crazy eyes said:
MD Anderson is an entirely independent entity with ties to both UT-H and Baylor. Baylor medical students can do CORE rotations (not just elective rotations- which, by the way, are quite distinct from away rotations) at MD Anderson, in fact, I just recently completed psychiatry there. Unfortunately this concept of separate entities is a novel concept for most incoming medical students, the thing that makes it most confusing is the fact that many of the hospitals in the TMC have staff from the 2 medical schools in their hospital that also have teaching priveleges (adjunct teaching responsibilities and likely faculty positions at the Medical school, but not always faculty- e.g. volunteer faculty).

To answer the question... MD Anderson's ties are closer to Baylor in some fields and closer to UT-H in others. For example, I know for a fact that Baylor's Neurosurgery residents rotate through and cover the resident responsabilities for MD Anderson, same with psychiatry. It goes back and forth. Therefore if one wanted to assign research money with regards to NIH to a medical school it would be impossible to assign dollars to Baylor or UTH unless one were to go through each individual grant and see which departments had affiliations and which did not.

Dang, that came out wrong - sorry about that. It should have read that rotations at a Baylor-affiliated TMC institution should NOT be considered away rotations. And obviously, if crazy eyes is doing a core rotation there, it's not...

The TMC. It refuses to fit anyone's mold.

BaylorLion said:

Sure thing, all I ask is that you do the driving for the carpool! :laugh: House hunting is an odd combination of fun and stress.

Baylorlion, I can't remember, are you married? If not, or have no kids, I think a townhome or condo near the med center is the way to go. I tried to make it work for my family, but just couldn't afford the price for a place big enough and with good schools for my kids. Thus, Pearland. I'm psyched about the house, though. I'll have all y'all out to the house for a party once we get settled! :D

Now I'm a family man! No, not yet - only 22 - although I guess that doesn't really mean anything, I guess. I had a friend in high school who got married at 19, and I keep hearing about how all these people I went to high school with are getting married or engaged.

Yeah, I don't konw about fun. My sister and cousin have enjoyed going into every place and uttering, "This space is wonderful. It has so much potential!" and then expounding on that potential. Geez. I think I'm at the point where I just wish we could all *pick* something and be done with it.

Woohoo about the party!

BaylorLion said:
Yeah, I don't konw about fun. My sister and cousin have enjoyed going into every place and uttering, "This space is wonderful. It has so much potential!" and then expounding on that potential. Geez. I think I'm at the point where I just wish we could all *pick* something and be done with it.

Replace the word "potential" with "upside" and "space" with "prospect", and your sis and cousin could be NBA scouts.

True 'nuf, man... in which case, I guess the townhouse I saw yesterday'd be the equivalent of Emeka Okafor.

You watchin' this Pacers-Pistons game?

BaylorLion said:
True 'nuf, man... in which case, I guess the townhouse I saw yesterday'd be the equivalent of Emeka Okafor.

You watchin' this Pacers-Pistons game?

I was watching it while working out, can't stand the Pistons.

crazy eyes said:
Actually CSTP is the clinical scientist training program designed primarily for faculty, fellows, and upper level residents offering training and the opportunity for earning a PhD in clinical research. It is entirely funded and sponsored by the NIH. The MSRT students take one class from the CSTP curriculum, not the entire curriuclum and it is a distinct program from the CSTP.

I think the best way to evaluate the success that the MSRT program has is based upon the number of Howard Hughes grants (HHMI medical Research Fellowship grants - $30,000+ per year) they receive. Currently more than 2/3 of the students receive these grants each year and only ~50 are awarded nationwide. For more information on the MSRT email [email protected].

ah ok cool, thanks for clearing that up

*bump*

This board has died - where are y'all?

hey guys. its been awhile. i have found an awesome place super close to school, as in walking distance. Its located at Dryden and Main, and its a 2 bdr. So I need a roomate! But I am leaving the country for 1.5 months, so I have to find one like tomorrow. So pm if you or anyone you know want to live really really close to campus. :D

BaylorLion said:
*bump*

This board has died - where are y'all?
I'm around. :) Getting all the paperwork and contracts in place for the house. We'll be moving around June 17. Really looking forward to cutting my commute time to 1/3 of what it has been.

I can't remember who said that it looks like everyone is interested in international med (Gleevec?) but I'm another one who is not as interested in international med. More interested in the ethics track. Not that I wouldn't jump at the chance to do some volunteer work outside the US, but I know my career will be focused here. The ethics track could be very relevant to the field I'm most interested in, neonatology.

sneds said:
hey guys. its been awhile. i have found an awesome place super close to school, as in walking distance. Its located at Dryden and Main, and its a 2 bdr. So I need a roomate! But I am leaving the country for 1.5 months, so I have to find one like tomorrow. So pm if you or anyone you know want to live really really close to campus. :D

I've been getting 'update' mail from Baylor that includes roommate requests, so maybe if you get in touch with Melody or Vernesta they could put your info out there ... not sure how they're deciding who to include, but it can't hurt to ask them for some help. Also you could try roommates.com, if you could access it from the other country.

Where ya going?

On a side note, I'm not ashamed to say I'm glad Fantasia won, and I'm just glad to have the free time to watch brain-rotting television for a few weeks. I'm reveling, I admit it!

Just started Bram Stoker's Dracula, and it is awesome.

And in case you're worried about my qualities as a study buddy, don't fret, I had a very stimulating conversation about a murine virus + oncogene promoter the other day.

Hope you are all enjoying your vacays as well! :cool:

thanks for the advice curlycity.

and I am going to the United Kingdom and Ireland. Then I am going to Iran, where my family is from, for a month. :D

sneds said:
thanks for the advice curlycity.

and I am going to the United Kingdom and Ireland. Then I am going to Iran, where my family is from, for a month. :D

I have a weird question. Why do some people say they're Iranian and some people say they're Persian? I asked someone who said if they're synonymous, but they said theyre not and I didnt understand the reason. Any insight?

::Seabass:: said:
isn't THI associated with Cooley which is the UTH heart guy? and debakey was the baylor heart guy? I have no idea all the affiliations, they don't really matter to much to me. I just show up where told.

on a separate note, aren't UTHSC-SA and UTHSC-H in the same sytem, but UTSW is kind of different since it used to be separate? just like A&M are its own thing? is UTMB part of the whole UTHSC system? (the world may never know....;)) maybe that is where the difference comes though. kind of like TT is its own thing out west and won't the El Paso school be associated with them?

Hi Seabass...just thought I'd threadjack for a moment and clear up the issue of UT's byzantine educational system. I'm actually pretty conversant with how it all fits together, because at one point I was trying to fix a few problems with student service fees and access to health care. (Pharmacy students get sent all over the state, and yet their optional school health insurance and mandatory health services fee assumed access to the student health center in Austin. Paying health services fees to UT Austin and getting health care from, say, UTHSCSA is apparently an accounting nightmare.)

Anyway, higher education funding in Texas is split among several big university systems. Originally 2/3 went to the University of Texas system, and 1/3 went to the Texas A&M system (because, according to the Aggie joke, they got to pick first). The other players now are Texas Tech, Baylor and various local independent schools, but orginally they weren't part of the deal.

The component institutions of the University of Texas System are: UT Austin (the "flagship"), the various undergraduate/graduate institutions in other cities--UT San Antonio, UT-Pan Am, UT El Paso, UT-Dallas, etc., and then the medical schools--UT HSC San Antonio, UT HSC Houston, UT Medical Branch in Galveston (so named because when it was founded, it was the ONLY medical school in the UT system), UT Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, and then miscellaneous independently operated and funded institutions like UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, which was acquired by the UT system in exchange for access to more state funding. So the UTHSCs are not their own subsystem of UT. They are each an independent component of the overall UT system.

Now, Baylor is officially a state-supported school, and as such it has to ensure that at least 70% of its students are Texas residents. But all a Baylor student has to do is buy property and live there their M1 year and they are considered a resident, so technically if every one of its students did that, Baylor would only have to admit 20% of its incoming class each year from the pool of Texas residents. The last time I checked, the rest of the med schools in Texas have a 90% residency requirement, and once a non-resident, always a non-resident till you've been out of school and working for a year.

/threadjack

Gleevec said:
I have a weird question. Why do some people say they're Iranian and some people say they're Persian? I asked someone who said if they're synonymous, but they said theyre not and I didnt understand the reason. Any insight?

Ok I am probably not the best person to answer this but here is what I know off the top of my head: The region that is now Iran was called Persia until the 1930s. At that time the name was changed to Iran because that is what the people there actually called it. Also, Iran is derived from the word Aryan, as in Aryan race, and at the time there was some Nazi influence I think that may have encouraged the change.
I think some people use the word Persian, because they fear people will be less judgemental about it than the word Iranian. Iranian/Persians are not Arabic, and they tend to be sensitive about being perceived so.

I think Persian just sounds cooler though personally. It makes me think of cute cats and nice rugs. :)

Two questions:

1)I thought Baylor wasn't required to fill a certain percentage of their class with Texas residents, but that they just gave Texans an extra point in admissions (sorta like legacy and affirmative action admissions), and that Texans get a little more preference because those Texans accepted overwhelmingly choose to come to Baylor. And the state support is that the state pays the difference between our tuition and Baylor's private school tuition for the Texas students.

2)The TMDSAS schools don't let you get state residency after a year? That seems unfair, since you can establish Texas residency after one year of living here before you apply. Even the UC's let you become a California resident...

Gleevec said:
Uh, is it part of the White Coat Ceremony, or something entirely separate. I remember hearing something about it, but the second link makes it sound as though it's for alumni. Maybe a recruiting tool to make sure Baylor children return to Baylor (rather than get seduced by that exciting and full-of-adventure city up North - you got it - Baltimore :D).

BaylorLion said:
Uh, is it part of the White Coat Ceremony, or something entirely separate. I remember hearing something about it, but the second link makes it sound as though it's for alumni. Maybe a recruiting tool to make sure Baylor children return to Baylor (rather than get seduced by that exciting and full-of-adventure city up North - you got it - Baltimore :D).

The White Coat Ceremony is on Friday, and Family Day's on Saturday. And Family Day is for us - I was told about it.

Daytime television is killing me. Time to turn it off and get back to packing.

BaylorLion said:
2)The TMDSAS schools don't let you get state residency after a year? That seems unfair, since you can establish Texas residency after one year of living here before you apply. Even the UC's let you become a California resident...

Do they not? I just looked at the tuition for the first time. Holy moly, no wonder Texas residents stay in Texas. You save $18k per year on tuition alone when compared to other equivalently USNWR ranked schools! Even my state's in-state tuition is >>>$6.5k!

BaylorLion said:
Two questions:

1)I thought Baylor wasn't required to fill a certain percentage of their class with Texas residents, but that they just gave Texans an extra point in admissions (sorta like legacy and affirmative action admissions), and that Texans get a little more preference because those Texans accepted overwhelmingly choose to come to Baylor. And the state support is that the state pays the difference between our tuition and Baylor's private school tuition for the Texas students.

BaylorLion,
I don't know how much I can help you, but I am currently participating in a summer program (SMEP) with Baylor Medical School/Rice. I am taking Gross Anatomy and Physiology (only the major systems though, so not nearly as hard) with the classes being taught by the same professors you guys will have. Dr. Seidel gave the lecture today (Cell Physiology) and I really enjoyed him. He is terrific at explaining concepts aned has a nice witty attitude. I congratulate everyone who has chosen Baylor, as I am really enjoying it. I am with about 120 other undergrads from around the state and country, and we have about twenty 1st and 2nd year Baylor student mentors. They speak very highly about the program and really enjoy the curriculum. The atmosphere seems laid back and supportive. I know they look heavily on numbers here, but once you get in it is totally chill. I didn't particularly like the dean, he was a bit off-putting, but everyone else has been lovely. He gave us the numbers for your entering class and they were impressive. So far, the average MCAT is a 33 and the GPA was around a 3.7. 75% of accepted applicants are Texas residents. I have mentors from all over, including California, Nevada and Maryland. Baylor has many joint admissions program across the state, which accounts for a high majority of Texans. They have a program with UT-Pan American, The University of Houston, Rice, and they are also allotting 10% of future entering classes to the program I am in JAMP (Joint Admissions Medical Program). Well, I better get back to studying. Again, you guys are going to love this place. The way they anatomy professors talk about Houston smog is a bit scary (Dr. Blutt gave a respiratory anatomy lecture on Monday and mentioned that non-smoking cadavers from Houston generally have the same amount of carbon deposits in their lungs as a long-time smoker from anywhere else) but otherwise it is fantastic. Well it is study time, wish me luck on my first day in anatomy lab tomorrow. Apparently we work on cavers with removed heads in the beginning to remove any angst. Take care.