Barry University CONCERNS - Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRL787

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you may know-- who have been reading my posts-- I am still sort of "shopping" for the right Podiatry school, that will best fit me.

I have been looking into ALL the school's and to be quite honest, Barry captured my attention simply because of it's operating center in Miami Beach, FL. Come on, can't get much better than that..

But after doing a little research, I found this: http://www.studentsreview.com/gettingin.php3?SH=BU&ST=FL

...Needless to say, there wasn't ONE good review. Most had really bad things to say, some had not horrible things to say, but I didn't read any overall good reviews.

Now I must say: these reviews (as far as I know) are for Barry's Undergraduate college. So I am not sure if their Podiatry program would be held to a much higher standard or not.. but that is what I intend to find out.

So a couple of questions for those who know Barry University well:

- How has your time at Barry been?
- Do you have top-notch instructors?
- Do you feel like a student moreso than a $ ?

Another question is: I have been looking online for Miami Beach apartments, and I found some very reasonably priced (much to my surprise) from about $850/mo, and others for under $1,000/mo. To me, they appeared to be quite nice. Am I wrong? How were your living conditions?

From Barry's website, I estimate the full cost of attendance (for tuition alone) to be about $112,000 + about $40,000 for housing.

But after speaking to the FINAID department at Des Moines, they estimated the FULL cost of attendance to be $225,000.

Am I missing something? How could anyone get away with living in Miami for cheaper than Des Moines, Iowa?

I truly appreciate the help. It means a lot to me for those who actually take time out of their own day to help others.

Thanks again,
JRL787

Members don't see this ad.

hey jrl87,

- First of all I saw these posts on that website and it sounded like these people had a bitter experience which happens at every school - I would not discount Barry due to some students who could not hack it or were not satisfied with their education. Especially since none of these responses were related to their Podiatry program. I can guarantee you EVERY school no matter what program or location will always have people who were not satisfied that is life. Disclaimer: I am not a Barry student or interested in going to Barry so I have no bias in my post.
- I think your best bet to find out more info on Barry is to ask current students on FB and send them a PM. I think their response will have much more substance and accountability since they are actually going through the experience as a student at Barry. They will probably be able to answer every question you have. Good Luck.

I know nothing about their POD program, but I do know a few things about the apartments in Miami. They are expensive, but not NY or SF expensive. Here is the prob with miami, there are a lot of shady neighborhood mixed in with "nice" neighborhoods. Do your research on apartment reviews. i personally would not move into a place with <50% recommendation levels. Don't be fooled by the pics on sites like rent.com. That being said, you should be able to find plently of 2 brs from 1100-1300 a month. Right now, I'm looking in the Bay area for a 3 bedder. I'm looking at > 1800 a month. Thank goodness the MGIB will pay me 2000 a month for rent for 36 out of 48 months I'm at CSPM.

PS: Don't weight undergrad reviews with grad programs. Just like the tuition, there is usually a big difference as far as the experience goes. Good luck at Barry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't look at those reviews. They have nothing to do with the Pod program. Like someone mentioned earlier, talk to current students through FB or on here. Talk to multiple people to get different opinions.
I can't compare the program or instructors to other Pod Schools so I can say we have some great teachers. Like most places, we have some teachers that are not liked, difficult, hard to understand, and so on. The new Dean is spending a lot of effort and time on improving the curriculum according to student and faculty input. A few changes have been made that were desperately needed and more will be implemented.
I don't feel like I am looked as a $ to the school. The faculty really do care. Many students get too worked up over their grades and take it out personally on the teachers.
Having top-notch instructors is difficult to answer. They all have great resumes and are very intelligent. But remember that having the title of DPM or MD with the best residency training does not equal a great teacher. Some are good, some are bad. Learn the material and move on.
A good rule of thumb for for places to live is East of I-95. As August gets closer, students will be in contact with you to help you with housing questions and anything else you need.
Miami is a very nice place to live! With the free time you have you can drive or walk to the BEACH, everglades, Florida Keys, Sport fishing, Disney World and everything else in Orlando, Miami Heat, beautiful weather, access to exclusive night clubs, etc..
I am glad I moved here for these 3.5 years (6 months away on externships). You are here to study, but you will have a lot of free time to enjoy your life and to de-stress.
PM me if you have anymore specific questions about Barry.

From what I've heard and seen from the few Barry students I have met, the Dean/President is doing great things down in Miami. I think as long as he stays at the helm Barry is a solid program.

Barry gets bashed on a lot and there are some truth to it.

Their board scores are on the lower end.

School just got new dean

Also not a lot of connections

plus barry has all sort of programs, and they send a insane amount of fliers and mailings to everyone so it has a reputation as a school that just cares about money and not about the quality of student it gets. I am talking about their other programs such as the post bac etc that can tarnish the overall Barry name.

barry is definitely changing for the better with the new dean in place. Also, we just had a 90% 1st time boards part I pass rate. Not too shabby for a "bad" school

barry is definitely changing for the better with the new dean in place. Also, we just had a 90% 1st time boards part I pass rate. Not too shabby for a "bad" school

These claims need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I think there is only ONE school that actually lists every data and it isn't Barry.

For example. OCPM claims that 100% passes the board. First of all, they are lying as numerous people have said they have classmates who did not pass. And I doubt in all these years, not one single person have not passed. Unless OCPM is rounding to the nearest 100 lol

As for Barry, I think you need to read the fine prints. Most likely, Barry has it's own pre-board exam where students have to pass to even take the boards! So yeah, obviously that would guarantee a high pass rate. Also 90% isn't great compared to other schools with 93% and 95%

I think there is only ONE school that actually lists every data and it isn't Barry.

For example. OCPM claims that 100% passes the board. First of all, they are lying as numerous people have said they have classmates who did not pass. And I doubt in all these years, not one single person have not passed. Unless OCPM is rounding to the nearest 100 lol

As for Barry, I think you need to read the fine prints. Most likely, Barry has it's own pre-board exam where students have to pass to even take the boards! So yeah, obviously that would guarantee a high pass rate. Also 90% isn't great compared to other schools with 93% and 95%
Scrlet...we have a troll on our hands here. He has no idea what he/she is talking about. He/she said in another post that Barry's Pod program is 2nd to our DO program (there is no DO program at Barry). According to the reported board scores, Barry performed better than half of the Podiatry Schools.
Also, we don't take a pre-test to keep people from taking the board exam. Every student sits or the exam even if they are in the 5 year program and many of the students that failed are in the 5 year program (which shows we should get rid of it). Someone made claims about Arizona keeping students from taking the boards so they would get better board scores. Why are people saying these things about the schools?
I'm tired of people posting things they "heard" from someone and not from the Primary source.
doc1107 must be a troll name that a regular SDNer made to make ridiculous claims about things to avoid ruining their reputation. Scrlet's claims are not to be taken with a grain of salt, they are facts and the scores should be posted soon. The pass rate was 89.6%, so we did round up to 90%.
Why am I getting worked up over this? Too much wrong information is getting thrown around on this forum and prevents students from even looking at those programs.

Trust me. The last thing I want to do is talk up Barry. I am just stating what has happened this year because I know this as a fact. I cant care less if you believe me or not.

troll

Scrlet...we have a troll on our hands here. He has no idea what he/she is talking about. He/she said in another post that Barry's Pod program is 2nd to our DO program (there is no DO program at Barry). According to the reported board scores, Barry performed better than half of the Podiatry Schools.
Also, we don't take a pre-test to keep people from taking the board exam. Every student sits or the exam even if they are in the 5 year program and many of the students that failed are in the 5 year program (which shows we should get rid of it). Someone made claims about Arizona keeping students from taking the boards so they would get better board scores. Why are people saying these things about the schools?
I'm tired of people posting things they "heard" from someone and not from the Primary source.
doc1107 must be a troll name that a regular SDNer made to make ridiculous claims about things to avoid ruining their reputation. Scrlet's claims are not to be taken with a grain of salt, they are facts and the scores should be posted soon. The pass rate was 89.6%, so we did round up to 90%.
Why am I getting worked up over this? Too much wrong information is getting thrown around on this forum and prevents students from even looking at those programs.

I am not a troll. I may have messed up thinking that Barry had a DO school, that was what I heard from someone.

But i know of Barry. You make it sound like Barry is better than half of the POD schools out there. Considering the low number of POD schools out there, better than half isn't something to toot your horn about, considering if it is even true.

Also just look at the list of programs offered. https://www.barry.edu/

You can see why people have the image of Barry being s "degree mill!" I am surprised they don't have a DO school!

I am not a troll. I may have messed up thinking that Barry had a DO school, that was what I heard from someone.

But i know of Barry. You make it sound like Barry is better than half of the POD schools out there. Considering the low number of POD schools out there, better than half isn't something to toot your horn about, considering if it is even true.

You can see why people have the image of Barry being s "degree mill!" I am surprised they don't have a DO school!
I won't kick a man while he is down. Nuff said

Why is this degree mill topic even relevant. By your standards then Harvard and Stanford must be terrible schools because they have a degree for everything. lets throw Western University and my school, UC Berkeley, in the mix as well.

First you make claims that it has a DO school and now u complain that they have too many degree offering programs? whats next? not enough shade on campus? toilet seats too rough for your butt?

fyi i don't go to Barry.

DONT DO IT. I have personally attended Barry. Keep it last on your list.

Care to elaborate???

OK. It's in the ghetto. I got my car broken into in campus parking lot twice in one semester. school facilities suck. library closes at midnight and wifi internet barely works. library doesn't even have enough seating. and you can forget about getting anything printed there...

as for the school itself. it's definitely quality education...Dr. Sesodia, chair, advisor, and physio professor is a MAJOR dick. dont go even 2mins late to class or u'll receive the kiss of death. INCREDIBLY hard exams. And the hardest and most weighted exam is always either after thanksgiving or spring break. im talking immediately after...Dr. Shaw is very entertaining. cartoon this guy. very very perverted tho. he be posing and putting his junk all up in girls faces. he's even gotten a pod student pregnant.

but living in South Florida is NICE.

OK. It's in the ghetto. I got my car broken into in campus parking lot twice in one semester. school facilities suck. library closes at midnight and wifi internet barely works. library doesn't even have enough seating. and you can forget about getting anything printed there...

as for the school itself. it's definitely quality education...Dr. Sesodia, chair, advisor, and physio professor is a MAJOR dick. dont go even 2mins late to class or u'll receive the kiss of death. INCREDIBLY hard exams. And the hardest and most weighted exam is always either after thanksgiving or spring break. im talking immediately after...Dr. Shaw is very entertaining. cartoon this guy. very very perverted tho. he be posing and putting his junk all up in girls faces. he's even gotten a pod student pregnant.

He be doing what? deam this some crazy talk tho fa sho

So were you in the BMS program and didn't do well in Sesodia's Physio class or are you a Pod fail-out? Classes are tough and that one especially. I don't study in the library anymore but they do have plenty of chairs although they dont have as many power outlets as they should. WiFi is never an issue for me, maybe your computer. The new Pod building has a study lounge open 24 hours. Printing is not an issue. Come to class on time, it is professional. I haven't heard of any security issues yet, but the school is in a sketchy area. There are security guards and fences around the campus. What facilities suck? The old anatomy lab did suck, but it has been overhauled and sweet. The recreational facilities are nice. Not sure about Dr. Shaw with the ladies.

So were you in the BMS program and didn't do well in Sesodia's Physio class or are you a Pod fail-out? Classes are tough and that one especially. I don't study in the library anymore but they do have plenty of chairs although they dont have as many power outlets as they should. WiFi is never an issue for me, maybe your computer. The new Pod building has a study lounge open 24 hours. Printing is not an issue. Come to class on time, it is professional. I haven't heard of any security issues yet, but the school is in a sketchy area. There are security guards and fences around the campus. What facilities suck? The old anatomy lab did suck, but it has been overhauled and sweet. The recreational facilities are nice. Not sure about Dr. Shaw with the ladies.

Pod school transfer. to D.O. school. I'll def. tell u professors are very eloquent and it's some quality education. you will learn a LOT. but def. don't put Barry first on your list.