Barry Post Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentallover15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have info about this program?

Members don't see this ad.

dentallover15 said:
Does anyone have info about this program?

I just applied. My friend goes there and he likes it a lot. according to the website, a good percentage of graduates from the accelerated path received acceptances from professional degree schools. i havent keep close contact with my friend so i dont have much info. Are u applying this year?

kylahs said:
I just applied. My friend goes there and he likes it a lot. according to the website, a good percentage of graduates from the accelerated path received acceptances from professional degree schools. i havent keep close contact with my friend so i dont have much info. Are u applying this year?
I may apply. Do you know when the deadline is? I heard professors from Nova U teach there. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
dentallover15 said:
I may apply. Do you know when the deadline is? I heard professors from Nova U teach there. Is that true?

Im not sure if it is true, but some other people on SDN heard the same. I believe the deadline is June 1. I sent an email and I'll let u know what they say. I did a quick search for "Barry University" on SDN. here are two threads that might help with some info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=113857
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=72771

I finished up at Barry this past Jan and when I was at there - there were two profs from Nova who taught histo and neuro. Both of these classes were identical to what the Nova med students get. The neuro class is now being taught by Barry faculty (he comes via UNECOM and TECOM) and the histo class is (afaik) still being taught by Nova faculty.

happyprairiedog said:
I finished up at Barry this past Jan and when I was at there - there were two profs from Nova who taught histo and neuro. Both of these classes were identical to what the Nova med students get. The neuro class is now being taught by Barry faculty (he comes via UNECOM and TECOM) and the histo class is (afaik) still being taught by Nova faculty.
Great!!! Thanks for the info. What about dental professors who teach at Nova?

kylahs said:
Im not sure if it is true, but some other people on SDN heard the same. I believe the deadline is June 1. I sent an email and I'll let u know what they say.

I forgot to let u know that the deadline is July 1st. (u probably already found out already).

Turns out my app is still not complete. they require recommendations from 2 science professors. I had crappy relationships with my science professors.... asking them for a recommendation is gonna suck.

kylahs said:
I forgot to let u know that the deadline is July 1st. (u probably already found out already).

Turns out my app is still not complete. they require recommendations from 2 science professors. I had crappy relationships with my science professors.... asking them for a recommendation is gonna suck.

Really? I thought there was no deadline as long as all info is recieved 30 days before class starts. Also, where did you hear that you need 2 rec letters? I thought only one was needed. Thanks!

dentallover15 said:
Really? I thought there was no deadline as long as all info is recieved 30 days before class starts. Also, where did you hear that you need 2 rec letters? I thought only one was needed. Thanks!

the website isn't too clear on how many recommendations we need. I emailed Mr. Goulet, the program director, and he said that the 1 yr program requires 3 recommendations, 2 from science professors. And he was also the source for the July 1st deadline (which i think is ~30 days before the start of school anyway). Im not sure if you're applying to the 2 yr program or if the 2 yr program has a different deadline or recommendation requirement.

Is anyone here going to Barry in the Fall? When does it start?

yey my application to Barry is complete... this is the best news I've heard in a long time :)

kylahs said:
yey my application to Barry is complete... this is the best news I've heard in a long time :)
Did you get a letter saying that your application was complete?

happyprairiedog said:

Happyprariedog,
Was it difficult to keep your gpa up? How were the classes like? Do you have to take summer courses?

dentallover15 said:
Did you get a letter saying that your application was complete?

No, Marleyn Medina at 305-899-3484 (or 800 756-6000 x3484) confirmed it.

kylahs said:
No, Marleyn Medina at 305-899-3484 (or 800 756-6000 x3484) confirmed it.
Do you know how long it takes them to make a decision?

dentallover15 said:
Do you know how long it takes them to make a decision?

I just got an email telling me I'm accepted. :) I think I was complete since Monday.... so it's a pretty quick response time.

kylahs said:
I just got an email telling me I'm accepted. :) I think I was complete since Monday.... so it's a pretty quick response time.

Congratulations!!! Will you be going there for sure? When did you submit your online application? Thanks!

dentallover15 said:
Congratulations!!! Will you be going there for sure? When did you submit your online application? Thanks!

Thanks! I'm not sure if I'll be going there. Today I also learned that I got accepted to EVMS' SMP. My brother lives next to the school, and it's a med school I really want to go to (after completion of the SMP).

On the other hand, Barry is local to my family, and I have 2 lil sisters and a lil brother.... It'll be a tough choice, but I'm appreciative of the choice.

Good luck on your application. I filled out the online app around mid-April but wasn't complete until this week. I didn't know that 2 of the recs needed to be from science professors.

for those going...WATCH OUT FOR DR. LUTFI! HE IS YOUR TEACHER THROUGHOUT THE YEAR! he is EVIL! if you want to take as few classes with him as possible, do everything you can to not take pathophysiology!

SupaYeLLowDawg said:
for those going...WATCH OUT FOR DR. LUTFI! HE IS YOUR TEACHER THROUGHOUT THE YEAR! he is EVIL! if you want to take as few classes with him as possible, do everything you can to not take pathophysiology!
why is that supayellowdawg? How did you do in the post bac? Did you get into any med schools? Also what areas do you recommend living?

Dr. Lufti isn't any tougher than any of the other profs in the MA program - but that's just my opinion. Basically, it comes down to studying and taking the time to study. I approached Barry as my second chance to get better grades and also prove to myself that I was capable of doing well. I ended up doing really well and the program definitely helped me get into my first choice school. I was in the 2 year program - and I only took summer classes so I could finish sooner. If you enroll in the 1 year program - you have to take summer classes no matter what. Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Barry - and South Florida is a really fun place to live. I had a little house about 5 minutes by bike from campus - and was able to ride to the beach in about 15 minutes. If you can - try to get a place near to school so you don't have to deal with traffic. If anyone wants specific opinions about areas to live - let me know.