Barry Loves Chick-Fil-A, Christians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the patient had a swaztika tattooed on his forehead and some other Aryan/neo-nazi type markings. Our associate certainly was uncomfortable and had strong opposition to the patient's beliefs, but he treated the patient appropriately and bit his tongue. We were proud of the way he handled the situation. That will hopefully be a lesson to all.

PADPM, I did say the previous one would be my last post... but I type this because I know when I've been beat. You and your practice are much more tolerant than I. I surrender the argument to you, good sir.

I have seen only some of your many posts on SDN. Out of curiosity, what fine institution did you attend, again?

Members don't see this ad.

PADPM, I did say the previous one would be my last post... but I type this because I know when I've been beat. You and your practice are much more tolerant than I. I surrender the argument to you, good sir.

I have seen only some of your many posts on SDN. Out of curiosity, what fine institution did you attend, again?

Gotta love thinly-veiled passive aggressive sarcasm.

Sabin you're aware that the Chick-Fil-A president spoke out against homosexuality right? That's his right of course; this is America after all. To those who believe that all gay people will go to hell, he's probably awesome. Me personally, I'm pretty liberal so I would side with the camp that disagrees with him. This doesn't make me anti-Christian/ anti-God/ anti-Barry/ anti-anything. On another note, I really don't understand the point of making this thread, because there's really no religious persecution going on?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta love thinly-veiled passive aggressive sarcasm.

Sabin you're aware that the Chick-Fil-A president spoke out against homosexuality right? That's his right of course; this is America after all. To those who believe that all gay people will go to hell, he's probably awesome. Me personally, I'm pretty liberal so I would side with the camp that disagrees with him. This doesn't make me anti-Christian/ anti-God/ anti-Barry/ anti-anything. On another note, I really don't understand the point of making this thread, because there's really no religious persecution going on?

Don't say that... He will "sigh" and be condescending in a very tolerant way :)

I find it very curious when you stated that our practice is more tolerant than you. Was that because one of our docs treated a patient with a swastika on his forehead? Was it because in a short time span I treated 2 nuns, a retired rabbi and a dedicated Muslim patient, even though religiously I may not agree with some of the philosophies one or more may preach?

If the guy with the swastika made highly offensive comments, we would not be so tolerant. But we are not going to not treat someone because of what we think he or she believes.

I had a long standing patient who started ranting about all the "nig..ers" in the waiting room (there was a family). I requested he refrain from using that term in my presence and when he continued I simply recommended he leave our office and never look back, which prompted more racial slurs.

Yes, I am tolerant and so are the docs in our practice. We all may have differing beliefs, but that doesn't impact my objectivity when treating patients. Bigotry, racism and hate however, have no place in our office. These patients can think whatever they want, but when they get verbal about it in our offices, they're gone.

Where I practice, where I went to school and where I trained has about as much relevance to this thread as what I ate for dinner last night.

I find it very curious when you stated that our practice is more tolerant than you. Was that because one of our docs treated a patient with a swastika on his forehead? Was it because in a short time span I treated 2 nuns, a retired rabbi and a dedicated Muslim patient, even though religiously I may not agree with some of the philosophies one or more may preach?

If the guy with the swastika made highly offensive comments, we would not be so tolerant. But we are not going to not treat someone because of what we think he or she believes.

I had a long standing patient who started ranting about all the "nig..ers" in the waiting room (there was a family). I requested he refrain from using that term in my presence and when he continued I simply recommended he leave our office and never look back, which prompted more racial slurs.

Yes, I am tolerant and so are the docs in our practice. We all may have differing beliefs, but that doesn't impact my objectivity when treating patients. Bigotry, racism and hate however, have no place in our office. These patients can think whatever they want, but when they get verbal about it in our offices, they're gone.

Where I practice, where I went to school and where I trained has about as much relevance to this thread as what I ate for dinner last night.

Not sarcasm sir, I just do not believe I could ever mention that I or my associate treated a neo-n*zi (especially a Jewish associate) on the internet for all to see, forever. That is just not my style, sir.

You have some interesting stories though.

Last edited:
Not sarcasm sir, I just do not believe I could ever mention that I or my associate treated a neo-n*zi (especially a Jewish associate) on the internet for all to see, forever. That is just not my style, sir.

You have some interesting stories though.

I did not mention our practice name, associate's name, location or patient details. I was just attempting to make the point that as long as this patient did nothing against me, etc., I'm not going to refuse him treatment based on his beliefs, if he leaves those beliefs outside our door.

If you are on call as a resident in the ER, and a patient who just took a shot at a police officer was shot by that officer, are you going to deny treatment?

I'm not the judge, I'm not the jury, so until that time I will treat patients who don't disrupt our practice.

I did not mention our practice name, associate's name, location or patient details. I was just attempting to make the point that as long as this patient did nothing against me, etc., I'm not going to refuse him treatment based on his beliefs, if he leaves those beliefs outside our door.

If you are on call as a resident in the ER, and a patient who just took a shot at a police officer was shot by that officer, are you going to deny treatment?

I'm not the judge, I'm not the jury, so until that time I will treat patients who don't disrupt our practice.

It is your better judgement, PADPM. I have no reason to doubt you (aside from your comment that I am one step away from being a segregationalist).

I never said I would deny anyone treatment. However, (if I was in practice after residency) I would politely inform the neo-n*zi that I do not want him to feel uncomfortable because I very much like Jews, Catholics, Gypsies, the mentally disabled, etc. If he feels okay seeing me, I shall proceed. If he feels uncomfortable, I will pull out your information and send him your way. No thanks would be needed, sir. I am happy to help out your practice.

It is your better judgement, PADPM. I have no reason to doubt you (aside from your comment that I am one step away from being a segregationalist).

I never said I would deny anyone treatment. However, (if I was in practice after residency) I would politely inform the neo-n*zi that I do not want him to feel uncomfortable because I very much like Jews, Catholics, Gypsies, the mentally disabled, etc. If he feels okay seeing me, I shall proceed. If he feels uncomfortable, I will pull out your information and send him your way. No thanks would be needed, sir. I am happy to help out your practice.

I walk into a room and introduce myself, extend my hand to shake and ask what kind of problem the patient is having.

I do not walk into a room and discuss my religious views, political views, who I like or dislike, etc. Therefore, your comment that you wouldn't want the patient uncomfortable and would tell him that you like Jews, Christians, etc., is bizarre. Practice that way and you will only be treating those who share all your beliefs.

No sarcasm? You will be happy to send them my way and help out our practice.....how generous. I can assure you that with your warped ideas of practice, you will need the patients more than our practice. That's guaranteed.

We don't look for these patient's, but we do not discriminate regarding patient care, if that patient has not disrupted our office. And we surely do not walk into a room telling patients what we like, what we believe (non medical beliefs), etc. I'm not sure you read my prior posts or understood what I wrote, because your comments would lead me to believe the opposite. A

I walk into a room and introduce myself, extend my hand to shake and ask what kind of problem the patient is having.

I do not walk into a room and discuss my religious views, political views, who I like or dislike, etc. Therefore, your comment that you wouldn't want the patient uncomfortable and would tell him that you like Jews, Christians, etc., is bizarre. Practice that way and you will only be treating those who share all your beliefs.

No sarcasm? You will be happy to send them my way and help out our practice.....how generous. I can assure you that with your warped ideas of practice, you will need the patients more than our practice. That's guaranteed.

We don't look for these patient's, but we do not discriminate regarding patient care, if that patient has not disrupted our office. And we surely do not walk into a room telling patients what we like, what we believe (non medical beliefs), etc. I'm not sure you read my prior posts or understood what I wrote, because your comments would lead me to believe the opposite. A

Sir, you stated the patient had a swastika tattooed on his forehead. I would make a special exception for him. He might be uncomfortable at my practice because I plan to give all Holocaust survivors free care as my way of honoring the remaining few, as well as those who lost their lives.

I remain confused to why you would think I will discuss my religious views with any patient (unless you count me telling a neo-n*zi that I like Jews, but that is not a religious belief). You may think what you wish, sir. It sounds like you have a very busy practice. You are kind to use your free time in the pre-pod section helping others.

Last edited:
Exactly. That's why I wrote in a prior post the mayor is targeting a policy, not a religion..

Sorry, but what "policy" are you referring to. Nowhere in his interview did Cathy state that Chick Fil-A has any policy regarding homosexuals. All I heard was a man voicing his opinion... So I ask, if the Chicago mayor isn't against policy, what is he against? The first amendment?

And I think it is concerning that a mayor would work to block a business from opening in his city because the CEO of that business has a view they disagree with. And how some postings on this board can say that somehow Cathy was being "Anti-Gay" in that interview is beyond me... (unless there's a different interview out there somewhere that I haven't listened to)

Last edited:
The "Hip new clothes threads" was a personal favorite of mine. I wish that thread was still around.

Sorry, but what "policy" are you referring to. Nowhere in his interview did Cathy state that Chick Fil-A has any policy regarding homosexuals. All I heard was a man voicing his opinion... So I ask, if the Chicago mayor isn't against policy, what is he against? The first amendment?

And I think it is concerning that a mayor would work to block a business from opening in his city because the CEO of that business has a view they disagree with. And how some postings on this board can say that somehow Cathy was being "Anti-Gay" in that interview is beyond me... (unless there's a different interview out there somewhere that I haven't listened to)

You seem to support my view if I read your post correctly. You write "... If the Chicago mayor isn't against policy, what is he against?". I wrote the mayor is targeting a policy, not a religion. Isn't that the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
The CEO of Chick-Fil-A is free to express his opinions about whatever he feels like. That's the nature of our First Amendment.

You are under no obligation to like what he says. However, the business of Chick-Fil-A and the CEO are two different entities. I don't have to agree with him to enjoy his product. (Just an FYI, I'm agnostic) If the CEO feels a certain way, as long as he's not discriminating against them when they come to any of his places of business, then it's not hurting anyone.

However, this thread is a little inflammatory because it seems like there's an underlying presumption that only this university supports Christians, which just isn't the case. Christians are the majority in the USA(76% according to the 2008 ARIS polls), so to insinuate that they are discriminated against in this country is ridiculous.

You would have to read and answer the first question (which I regretfully didn't punctuate with a question mark) before moving onto the second. If you listened to the same interview I did, you would realize that the answer to the first question is that "there is no Chick Fil-A policy regarding homosexuals for Mayor Chicago to be against". So, with that considered, I pose the question "well then what is it that he is really against?" because clearly he's not against any policy because there is none

Sorry about the confusion; i write like i talk, and without my vocal emphasis my writing may be hard to follow.

Last edited:
Why is this thread even open still? Negative comments have appeared about individuals, elected officials, and Barry. On top of that a borderline HIPAA violation.

Man Sabin stirred some of ya'll up good.

Any plans for your 20,000th post All4MyDaughter? :D

Why is this thread even open still? Negative comments have appeared about individuals, elected officials, and Barry. On top of that a borderline HIPAA violation.

Man Sabin stirred some of ya'll up good.

Borderline HIPAA violation? Please tell me you're kidding. There was nothing even remotely mentioned about a patient name, doctor name, location. Not even close to a HIPAA violation. Apparently our moderator is also in agreement.

Haha yeah the HIPAA part was funny. This isn't HIPAA violation. Although HIPAA violations actually happened at my undergrad some years ago when Britney Spears was admitted to inpatient, and some nurses/residents/attendings who weren't involved in her care were caught accessing her patient information out of curiosity. THAT'S real HIPAA violation.

I said borderline. You mentioned a very distinct characteristic about a patient that could be used to identify him/her. Someone may know you, therefore know your area. And I doubt many people walking around these days have that tattoo. Just be cautious of what you say on networking sites is all.

I said borderline. You mentioned a very distinct characteristic about a patient that could be used to identify him/her. Someone may know you, therefore know your area. And I doubt many people walking around these days have that tattoo. Just be cautious of what you say on networking sites is all.

In some parts of the country, there are groups of people who have similar beliefs, etc. As a result, the tattoo this person had was not unique. Visit a prison and you'll find out how common this tattoo can be.

And it would be next to impossible to identify a patient since our practice has multiple locations covering a very large geographic area.

I've been in practice for well over 20 years, and I'm more than confident that I'm much more aware of the rules and regulations than a PRE-podiatry student. Thanks for your concern, but I know the rules and follow those rules. I cross all my "t's" and dot all my "i's" ro make sure I follow the rules.

Stick to your studies and stop playing junior attorney unless you truly understand the rules/laws.

I'm quite aware of the law. You don't know my age/ nor where I have worked the past seven years. Nothing wrong with advising someone to be cautious. Just take the advice and say thanks, instead of giving a condescending speech about it.

I'm quite aware of the law. You don't know my age/ nor where I have worked the past seven years. Nothing wrong with advising someone to be cautious. Just take the advice and say thanks, instead of giving a condescending speech about it.

If I thought your advice in this situation was of value, I would have gladly thanked you. There was no violation of HIPAA or anything close. There was no borderline........just like there's no borderline pregnant. Either HIPAA is violated or it's not, and in this case it was not. I have never violated HIPAA laws and don't plan on violating those laws or any laws in the foreseeable future. So if you feel compelled to give someone advice who has actually been in practice for quite a while, make sure that advice has significance to the events. And in this case it does not.

Your age and work experience are irrelevant in this case, because you're wrong. There was no HIPAA violation, not even close.

Based upon this identifying information, I have figured out the true identity of PADPM's patient: click here

I THOUGHT I didn't mention Charlie's name in my post, but your detective work is very impressive! :laugh:

Your age and work experience are irrelevant in this case, because you're wrong. There was no HIPAA violation, not even close.

Thanks for confirming my comments.

thank the flying spaghetti monster i didn't go to barry

I bet he has some stank feet. How you do you it? Vicks Vapo Rub on your upper lip? Hold your nose? Supersoaker filled with Febreeze? :smuggrin:

Smell, what smell? After all these years it's barely noticeable. Actually, it's no worse than some fresh bleu cheese or Limburger cheese on your meal..:eek:

And while we're talking smells, nothing beats a nice anaerobic abscess.:scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.