Badasses of the hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Immunophile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who are the baddest docs in the hospital? Is it pulm/CC with their ability to handle the sickest pts? Is it dermatology with their encyclopedia like mind? Psych and their power to extrude conscious and subconscious thoughts? Is it plastics? EM? Or who?

[This is intended to be a semi-serious/fun discussion]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody talks down to PICU.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who are the baddest docs in the hospital? Is it pulm/CC with their ability to handle the sickest pts? Is it dermatology with their encyclopedia like mind? Psych and their power to extrude conscious and subconscious thoughts? Is it plastics? EM? Or who?

[This is intended to be a semi-serious/fun discussion]
Surgeons (General Surgery and subspecialties/Neurosurgery/Ortho/Urology/Plastics, etc.) and ICU/Critical Care doctors -- who coincidentally bring in the greatest revenue for the hospital -- whudda thunk it!?!? Hospitals and hospital admin. definitely don't give a **** what dermatologists think.

Reactions: 1 user
Surgeons (General Surgery and subspecialties/Neurosurgery/Ortho/Urology/Plastics, etc.) and ICU/Critical Care doctors -- who coincidentally bring in the greatest revenue for the hospital -- whudda thunk it!?!? Hospitals and hospital admin. definitely don't give a **** what dermatologists think.

If profit centers are your criteria I'd throw in cardiologists and even med oncs. Hearts, hips, and chemo as the saying goes.

If profit centers are your criteria I'd throw in cardiologists and even med oncs. Hearts, hips, and chemo as the saying goes.
I could be wrong but surgical/intensive care services bring in more money than those services. Cards has taken huge reimbursement cuts and I think med oncs have as well when it comes to chemo.

Trauma surgeons*

I respect everyone**, but I can't say I'm impressed with anyone's badassedness.

**Well, almost everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Anesthesia. Who else can sit there in the OR, finishing their crossword puzzle and occasionally pushing a med while the surgeons, nurses, and techs are panicking over where all that blood is coming from?

(not serious)

Reactions: 9 users
Anesthesia. Who else can sit there in the OR, finishing their crossword puzzle and occasionally pushing a med while the surgeons, nurses, and techs are panicking over where all that blood is coming from?

(not serious)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like this thread. Mainly because it's implications are true. There is a huge difference between the fields along the lines of the skill set needed, the urgency of the need, the stakes of delivering it, and a number of docs who can fill that need. Neurosurgery and trauma surgery are obvious examples followed by all surgeons. Then intensivists. More mortal but impressive are other proceduralists and ED docs. Then the rest of us as a group with small windows of occasional impressiveness but almost without exception thoroughly non-badass.

It's not unlike the armed forces. Many of us load trucks and patrol the green zones of medicine. Occasionally we might even be shot at. But it's only a few who repel out of helicopters, unsupported behind enemy lines and achieve regularly what very few could even hack the preparation for.

And I am way ok with that spectrum and where I am on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
I like this thread. Mainly because it's implications are true. There is a huge difference between the fields along the lines of the skill set needed and a number of docs who can fill that need. Neurosurgery and trauma surgery are obvious examples followed by all surgeons. Then intensivists. More mortal but impressive are other proceduralists and ED docs. Then the rest of us as a group with small windows of occasional impressiveness but almost without exception thoroughly non-badass.

It's not unlike the armed forces. Many of us load trucks and patrol the green zones of medicine. Occasionally we might even be shot at. But it's only few who repel out of helicopters, unsupported behind enemy lines and achieve regularly what very few Could even hack the preparation for.

And I am way ok with that spectrum and where I am on it.

Yep and all the POGs(personnel other than grunts) and 9-5 physicians are banging your wife while you're on the front lines. That's the thing. These things sound cool but doing it takes a special type of person. Everyone wanted to be a SEAL in boot camp. I got my own plateful of that life being with a grunt unit. Being tired, cold, hungry and shot at is not for me. I'm honestly not sure if it's right for anyone. I'm sure the same thing can be said of surgeons.

Reactions: 9 users
the surgeon general is pretty badass :rolleyes:
140318_POL_VivekMurthy.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

I could take him in a cage match

:laugh:. idk, look at those eyes. some vulcan death touch **** could go down in a fraction of a second.

Reactions: 1 users
The administration? Getting people twice as smart as you to do all the grunt work while you get paid 5x as much to do squat? That's pretty badass.

Reactions: 25 users
The badass are the ones who have the best curves.

I will do a visual investigation soon and see which specialty has a lot of them.

at one point I was given the honor of shadowing one of the most famous CT surgeons in the United States. Completely arrogant sh*thead and the entire department of surgery hated him. He was dept chair of CT surgery and a pediatric CT surgeon. He used to walk around saying "I fix what God cannot fix..." Arrogant? yes. Ass? yes. But one hell of a surgeon, and no surprise, he used to tell me he was a badass surgeon. CT guys are pretty badass though.

joke posts aside, the baddest-ass guy around here imo is a thoracic surgeon that recognized clinically a ruptured thoracic aortic aneurysm and used nearby stuffs to rip open his chest using brute strength and blunt instruments. This happened in a critical care hallway as he was talking to the patient and it just happened right in front of him. He clamped it down with his bare hand inside his chest and rode the guy into surgery. The guy lived.

He's pretty much a legend around here for crap like that and the only surgeon I don't mind fetching coffee for. I'll get him all the coffee he wants. and anything else. anything.

Reactions: 13 users
joke posts aside, the baddest-ass guy around here imo is a thoracic surgeon that recognized clinically a ruptured thoracic aortic aneurysm and used nearby stuffs to rip open his chest using brute strength and blunt instruments. This happened in a critical care hallway as he was talking to the patient and it just happened right in front of him. He clamped it down with his bare hand inside his chest and rode the guy into surgery. The guy lived.

He's pretty much a legend around here for crap like that and the only surgeon I don't mind fetching coffee for. I'll get him all the coffee he wants. and anything else. anything.
Who is this guy and where is he at??? I need to go rotate there

The ones who don't have to slave away in a hospital, and can actually go home and live their own lives.

at one point I was given the honor of shadowing one of the most famous CT surgeons in the United States. Completely arrogant sh*thead and the entire department of surgery hated him. He was dept chair of CT surgery and a pediatric CT surgeon. He used to walk around saying "I fix what God cannot fix..." Arrogant? yes. Ass? yes. But one hell of a surgeon, and no surprise, he used to tell me he was a badass surgeon. CT guys are pretty badass though.
I knew a few really nice CT surgeons. They're not all dicks, but a lot of them are. There was this one guy I'll never forget working with, he was ambidextrous, and could do cases with a speed that was just mind blowing. That guy was a badass all around.

the surgeon general is pretty badass :rolleyes:
140318_POL_VivekMurthy.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg
More like Obama's bitch. This guy pisses me off on so many different levels. Can't believe he is the new Surgeon General.

Reactions: 22 users
More like Obama's bitch. This guy pisses me off on so many different levels. Can't believe he is the new Surgeon General.

I have to agree. So many tools in my class can't get over superficial things like, he's the first Indian person to become Surgeon General. So what (and I think that's awesome in its own right)! Is that all Obama does? Try to please the masses?

The doctor doesn't have much clinical experience or public health experience. He was a staunch supporter of Obamacare.

If you point any fingers, people will assume you have a problem with Murthy's skin color.

This has nothing to do with the NRA, just the fact that he is not fit for the job!

Reactions: 5 users
If you asked half of my class, they'd tell you that the M3's are, because "we are the future of medicine" or some crap like that.

That doesn't really make any sense

Reactions: 4 users
I have to agree. So many tools in my class can't get over superficial things like, he's the first Indian person to become Surgeon General. So what (and I think that's awesome in its own right)! Is that all Obama does? Try to please the masses?

The doctor doesn't have much clinical experience or public health experience. He was a staunch supporter of Obamacare.

If you point any fingers, people will assume you have a problem with Murthy's skin color.

This has nothing to do with the NRA, just the fact that he is not fit for the job!
Exactly. I neither care about his views on gun control, nor his political affiliation. What I do care about is if he's elected because he's the best candidate, and not just for political reasons.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.