Bad sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about a friend who reported to me that during his interview at his home program, the PD made a comment regarding his low usmle/step scores. The comment was something to the effect that he needed to feel assured that his prospective fellows will be able to pass the cardiology boards in the end. Do you think that is the PD's way of saying he should not hold out hope to be ranked highly? I am concerned for him, and would appreciate some feedback regarding the situation. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, that is probably the accurate way to interpret that. We know that step scores matter to PDs and matching, but isn't the only aspect of an application, which is probably why he was able to get an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless he's got a signed offer letter, he shouldn't "hold out hope to be ranked highly" by anyone. If it's not in writing, it doesn't exist. And even if it's in writing, it goes against the NRMP match rules.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, tell you FRIEND that that sucks and the program director should not have got HIS hopes up.

Hope this helps you, i mean HIM, with these negative emotions

Wow, tell you FRIEND that that sucks and the program director should not have got HIS hopes up.

Hope this helps you, i mean HIM, with these negative emotions
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm confused what you are saying. Too many pronouns. Can you clarify? Sorry, thanks

He is implying that the friend is, in reality, you.

Oh, I see. It truly is a friend and not me who I am concerned about. I would hope that low step scores, in light of them being mentioned by the PD, would not be a deal breaker. That was what I was seeking feedback regarding.

LOL... This made me laugh. but I am going to apologize to OP actually.
Oh, I see. It truly is a friend and not me who I am concerned about. I would hope that low step scores, in light of them being mentioned by the PD, would not be a deal breaker. That was what I was seeking feedback regarding.
sorry what I said was uncalled for, I shouldn't be sarcastic. it just irritates me when people say "my friend" but it seems like its actually about the OP. I shouldnt assume and be a jerk about it. Please forgive me.

We can’t read the PD’s mind or predict what PD will do.

However, since PD brought it up your friend should assume board scores is important to the PD. It’s a legitimate concern for PDs. Sometimes during the interview candidates ask board pass rate etc so obviously it also matters to candidates. So the PD job is to also protect their programs.

Now the real question is how did your friend prove that scores are only a misconception and is most likely to pass the boards . If your friend did well in ITE scores that may be an avenue to assure the cardiology PD that usmle scores were an anomaly.

We can’t read the PD’s mind or predict what PD will do.

However, since PD brought it up your friend should assume board scores is important to the PD. It’s a legitimate concern for PDs. Sometimes during the interview candidates ask board pass rate etc so obviously it also matters to candidates. So the PD job is to also protect their programs.

Now the real question is how did your friend prove that scores are only a misconception and is most likely to pass the boards . If your friend did well in ITE scores that may be an avenue to assure the cardiology PD that usmle scores were an anomaly.
That would have been a great come back answer. I don't know what my friend answered other than he is a hard worker etc...

It’s not a big deal. If your friend has the ITE scores to back it , can still send those to the PD or have IM PD reach out.
But it’s possible that your friend is over- reacting too. No matter the scores if your friend is outstanding resident then the PD is going to talk to IM PD to make sure that there is no true risk of failing the boards.