Bad Anatomy Grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugby13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this, so if it's wrong let me know and I'll change it.

I'm currently a junior/senior at Virginia Commonwealth University (technically a senior but I changed my major to exercise science from mechanical engineering last year so I'm behind a year). I'm planning to apply to grad school for athletic training next year, but I ended up getting a D in anatomy (which ended up being the average of the 200+ lecture class), although I managed to get A's in my other classes (one of which was exercise physiology). There were some extenuating circumstances (medical issues, deaths of 2 close friends, a difficult courseload, and a couple other things that I don't want to talk about), but my advisor told me to continue taking the class instead of withdrawing to give me a better chance when I retake it next semester.

Other than this, I have all A's and one B, and a GPA of 3.865 without the D (it won't be included in my GPA calculation, although it will show up on my transcript). How badly will this one grade affect my chances of getting into a good program for athletic training?

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to grade-replace the class if possible (I know circumstances don't always allow). However most of the schools I applied to required that all pre-reqs be a C or higher to even apply. If somehow you cannot replace, make sure to do research and only apply to schools that can look past a D in a core science class. If you can find these schools, PTCAS has a section of the application that allows you to explain any academic outliers such as your extenuating circumstances.

Also, if the average of your large lecture is a D, I feel sorry for your students, and sorry for your professor, because I can't imagine he'll be around much longer haha.

Good luck!

I would try to retake it and replace it, even if it means you take it online or at a CC. I agree with the response above. Most colleges want to have a C or above in pre-req courses so unless you were able to reach out and explain your circumstances to the schools you're applying to, I'd try to retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm already planning to retake it next semester, and with a lighter courseload and a different lecture professor, so hopefully that'll help. I'm just not sure how bad the D will look on my transcript after I retake it next semester (I'm refusing to get anything less than a B this time).
And the anatomy professors aren't going anywhere haha. It's more common for people to fail and retake the class than to pass on the first try, and if they do pass the first time it's usually with a low C

This a PT forum. If you end up ever wanting to apply to PT school it will be in gpa as they do not do grade replacement. For ATC, I am not sure how competitive it may be. I would think experience would very important.