Athletic training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elliot Hasbrook

Reaction score
I have been admitted to my dream college, but I wasn't accepted into their physical therapy program. So right now I have a "Still Deciding" major. My admissions counselor said that I should look into Athletic Training as my major, since it is pretty similar to physical therapy. Can I still become a physical therapist with an Athletic Training degree?

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congratulations on getting into your dream school! Must feel fantastic! My ex boss was both an Athletic Trainer and Physical Therapist. I believe as long as you have the prerequisites done for PT school when you start to apply you should be fine! I do not think an Athletic Training degree covers most of the prerequisites like Chemistry, Physics, and Biology, so you would have to take those separately. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I have been admitted to my dream college, but I wasn't accepted into their physical therapy program. So right now I have a "Still Deciding" major. My admissions counselor said that I should look into Athletic Training as my major, since it is pretty similar to physical therapy. Can I still become a physical therapist with an Athletic Training degree?
I think you still need to get a DPT, you can't practice PT without it

I think you still need to get a DPT, you can't practice PT without it
Oh yes, this is correct. You can still get an Athletic Training degree, but you will have to go back to school for a DPT.