Backup plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anicetus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully those waiting to hear news today on match day aren’t reading this. I have been seeing a lot of my PGY-3 peeps committing to hospitalist jobs already. For those who are at risk of not matching GI/did not match GI, how is the journey to landing a last minute hospital gig at this point in the year? Do people usually just start applying to hospitalist/PCP jobs this late and have success with this? I tried looking for other threads like this but didn’t find much, but given how competitive GI is now (and seems like half of every intern class at every academic institution wants it now) there must be some information about ways/strategies to land last minute hospitalist gigs in a desirable location.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully those waiting to hear news today on match day aren’t reading this. I have been seeing a lot of my PGY-3 peeps committing to hospitalist jobs already. For those who are at risk of not matching GI/did not match GI, how is the journey to landing a last minute hospital gig at this point in the year? Do people usually just start applying to hospitalist/PCP jobs this late and have success with this? I tried looking for other threads like this but didn’t find much, but given how competitive GI is now (and seems like half of every intern class at every academic institution wants it now) there must be some information about ways/strategies to land last minute hospitalist gigs in a desirable location.

It's not a big deal. I'm working as a hospitalist now (deferred application by one year) and I committed to this current job at a national brand-name academic center in a major urban area in December of last year. I do work as a part-time nocturnist, but even my colleagues who are full daytime academic hospitalists committed no earlier than November (one was even hired in March). TBH the peak season for hiring hospitalists is December-February.

Just a word of caution though that in most desirable locations it's hard to get a 100% daytime position if it's gonna be a gap year kind of situation for you. Most places don't want to train someone and then have them leave for fellowship after one year. But if you want to do locums, go to a smaller hospital, or is ok with a mix of days and nights, it's really easy to find a job as a hospitalist and it's nothing to stress about at all.