Backdoor to urology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Larry Renal

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the options for getting into Urology after doing a PGY 1 year in prelim surgery. I ask because I am a DO MS3, and have decent grades, probably not good enough for Uro right out. Can you switch in as PGY 2 to Uro programs? repeat apply as PGY 1? I am guessing it's bad to go for a categorical surgery spot knowing that the plan is to attempt a switch? Thanks for any advice!

Lar

Members don't see this ad.

Depeneding where you are applying..and assuming that you are applying to DO Urology...some programs won't even look at you until you have competed your internship year...and still others won't look at you until you are doing your 1st year of general surgery.

It was kinda hard to navigate the system, and there are no clear cut answers..quite frustrating!!

Go from a prelim year to a PGY-2 spot?!

I'm sorry, but there are only a couple or no spots available for someone to transfer at the PGY-2 level into urology. Check out the available positions page on the aua website and you'll see.

More than likely, you'd be better off doing a prelim year and applying for pgy-1 urology residencies and repeat your intern year.

Yosh said:
Depeneding where you are applying..and assuming that you are applying to DO Urology...some programs won't even look at you until you have competed your internship year...and still others won't look at you until you are doing your 1st year of general surgery.

It was kinda hard to navigate the system, and there are no clear cut answers..quite frustrating!!

Members don't see this ad :)
in the osteopathic world, starting uro after an internship year and one year gen surg is pretty standard, at least amongst the programs i know about well in MI as well as the program in chicago. here is the website for the DO programs...

https://www.facos.org/scriptcontent/educationsites.cfm#uro

-you can also usually find a fair amount of info from the MSU homepage (obviously for the MSU sponsored spots, which are about 85% of 'em); but keep in mind that not every program has slots every year. for instance the MSU sponsored spot in lansing won't be taking someone for a few years, or at least that whats the director told me. other programs typically take one person per year; some only consider those in their gen surg pool at the hospital. chicago actually takes students in pgy-3 to start their program, although i really don't know much about the program there other than the little i read on the website and the uninformative email i got back from them.

i am still floundering my way through all the different stipulations at the different programs here at MSU. let me know if i can help.

Urology is ALL ABOUT the back door. You have to enjoy actually sticking you finger in the back door because the easiest way to the prostate is through the back door. :laugh:

so hang on a sec..this means if we want to apply for urology.For example at Botsford..we have to apply for surgery, then if we get in to this we apply for uro during our first year of surgery or internship wtih no guarantee that we will get into uro..is this how all the programs are??

Sadly.....keep in touch with me..and I will fill ya in...

you have my e-mail

Nebel - like i said you need to contact the programs individually; some of them may be willing to grant you a spot in the future pending you do a intern+1yr surg. there has been some talk at a select few of finally doing a tracked internship, but i do not believe those are really in place yet. you need to contact the programs individually, most are more than willing to give you info up front about which years they will have slots, how many students, and the format they accept students in. i have only extensively checked out grand rapids, lansing, and chicago to date. the other more eastern MI programs i am waiting until later to talk to; if you chat with them please post up what type of program it is.

Thanks very much for the info...

Just so I'm clear, you have to do a traditional rotating internship, not knowing what the future holds, then a 1 year prelim surgery, and during that time apply? Can you apply during the TRI? is it another 5 years after that prelim sx year is done? DO Uro requires 7 years while most MD programs are 6 (prelim+5yrs uro)? Is there a concensus as to the competitiveness of this application process? thanks again.

Lar

Is the "back door" to Urology some type of sexual favor you have to do?

Never heard of that one. Good for a laugh though, thanks.

I thought "back door" and urology were very much related. Ithink the person who titled the thread has the right attitude to get a spot. Good luck back dooring your way in

...and before you're done, don't forget the reach around, just for for good taste. ;)

quidnunc said:
...and before you're done, don't forget the reach around, just for for good taste. ;)

Good taste? Bleeeech.