[B]Thinking prosthodontics[/B]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

huskerchild

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a strong interest in pros, especially to go into academics. Can anyone give me any information on programs, the application process, what grades it will take to get in, etc. I will start applying this fall and wanted some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

huskerchild said:
I have a strong interest in pros, especially to go into academics. Can anyone give me any information on programs, the application process, what grades it will take to get in, etc. I will start applying this fall and wanted some advice.

Hey Husker,

First off I'm in Pedo---but best friend is in Prosth. Academics is in desperate need of help----so that is a plus for you. Prosth. is a field where a solid GPA and good boards will do. It's relative but a 3.3+ and high 80s boards should be competetive at most school----especially with your desire to go academic. Obviously some schools are better and demand more. My friend is at Iowa and it is definitely a demanding residency but he loves it. He had over 90 on boards with a 3.6. Make sure you have a great D4 year--assuming you are D3----Take as many difficult cases as you can----take pictures, put together a portfolio of cases and get some good letter of recommendations.

Dr.B

Dr.2b said:
Hey Husker,

First off I'm in Pedo---but best friend is in Prosth. Academics is in desperate need of help----so that is a plus for you. Prosth. is a field where a solid GPA and good boards will do. It's relative but a 3.3+ and high 80s boards should be competetive at most school----especially with your desire to go academic. Obviously some schools are better and demand more. My friend is at Iowa and it is definitely a demanding residency but he loves it. He had over 90 on boards with a 3.6. Make sure you have a great D4 year--assuming you are D3----Take as many difficult cases as you can----take pictures, put together a portfolio of cases and get some good letter of recommendations.

Dr.B

Prosth. Academics is in desperate need of help

true. most pros depts only have a couple of full time facululty unlike say perio, as most are in private outside. so if you want to be involved in academia stating so would be a big plus. see if you can attend 1 or 2 pros seminars, talks.

huskerchild said:

check out what i wrote in reply to 12year old kids qs. re pros on the studnet forum