[B]GPA-3.739 sGPA-3.682 MCAT-28 and ECs[/B]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninjiliu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think my chances are to get into a medical school?

Residency: Virginia
Profile: 21 y/o female majoring in biomedical engineering and minors in math and chemistry
GPA: 3.739
sGPA: 3.682
MCAT: 28 (Biological - 9 Verbal - 9 Physical - 10) plan to retake in July

Medical Experience
Went to Peru for a week. I was able to take vitals, assist pap smears, write prescriptions, assist diagnosis, measure medications, and dental assistance as well.

Shadowing (Internist, Dermatologist, Rad Onc, Surgeon) ~100 hours

I will be having a gap year where I'm hoping to work as a full time scribe

Health Related Volunteer Work
Hospital 200+ hours

Non-health Related Volunteer Work
Fostering dogs
elderly companion 50 hours
I volunteer at a lot of events for my school's alumni association, not sure if this counts ~75 hours

Leadership
Student Alumni Association - Director of Operations (treasurer, secretary, fundraising chair all in one) I'm very heavily involved with this SRO and it has 400+ members
MEDLIFE - Community chair
Giving to Extremes - Founder and Advisor

Research
Did a summer's worth in a tissue engineering lab trying to improve vascular graft technology. No publications

Members don't see this ad.

As you know, your MCAT is a little low for MD schools. If you can get get a 30+ on your retake you should be pretty set. If there is any way you can move up your test date to June that would be helpful since a July test means no score until August which is kind of late. Overall, you seem to have a pretty well rounded app so if you apply correctly (broadly) your chances are looking good.

I'd might suffer a lower score if I moved up my test date.

I'm going on my school's graduation trip May 17-June 1st. I don't think I'd get much study time done in April because of my upper level classes and I'll be spending about a week packing up my apt and moving out after I graduate.

It's a tough decision, I really want to take it earlier.