[B]Going to Michigan or OSU Pharmacy schools??? Tell us Why??[/B]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amritchiluwalia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If any of you are going to either UMICH or OSU ..tell us why you decided on going to that particular school?? What makes each of these school better than others and what led you to decide on going to UMICH or OSU??

I got into both of these schools and I want to know the reasons behind why other students go to either of these schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having the same problem...got into both of these fine schools ..but don't know which one to choose. UMICH has the name recognition, but at OSU...u can do PharmD/MBA or PharmD/MPH...so don't know wht to do ??

what ever you do, dont go to UMICH......one of the most corrupt pharmacy programs from what I've heard from other students.....plus tuition is cheaper at OSU.......in the end pharmd is pharmd...doesnt matter where you go.....all at the same level. AT UMICH.....the faculty are very rude and dont help students who struggle...they just want to take your tuition money and it has a high fail out rate

Members don't see this ad :)
what ever you do, dont go to UMICH......one of the most corrupt pharmacy programs from what I've heard from other students.....plus tuition is cheaper at OSU.......in the end pharmd is pharmd...doesnt matter where you go.....all at the same level. AT UMICH.....the faculty are very rude and dont help students who struggle...they just want to take your tuition money and it has a high fail out rate

Umm... Just two days ago you posted this: "I forgot to add Michigan to the list of schools I'm still waiting to hear from. Not too sure i would get an interview with them though, because they received my application materials after the Feb.28 final deadline. But still what are my chances?"

I'm a little confused. If UMich is so terrible, why are you still worried about your chances there?

To answer the original question, I will be at Michigan but I've heard good things about OSU as well. One advantage to OSU that I know of is the possibility for in-state tuition after the first year. I didn't apply to OSU so I can't comment besides that. I'm going to Michigan largely because of the research/clinical focus of the program, the reputation of the school, and because I love Ann Arbor. As I recall, the attrition rate is about 10% (6% for academic reasons, the rest for personal reasons), which is higher than some but lower than others. Except for the post above, I've never heard anything bad about the program, including when I visited and sat in on a chem class. I thought the facilities, organization, and teaching were impressive. Then again, I don't have much to compare it to, so I could be wrong :p Good luck with your decision!

I added Michigan as a last resort. Better to go to the worst school then letting another year go by

I added Michigan as a last resort. Better to go to the worst school then letting another year go by

Um... I guess that's one approach. Would you mind providing some details about what you heard, and from whom? That would be a lot more helpful. The attrition rate indicates that only about 4 people per graduating class leave for academic reasons, which doesn't seem enormous to me. I just want to make sure you didn't hear this from one disgruntled former student or something.

I'm not in either program but had the opportunity to go to Michigan (rescinded admission) and have the opportunity to still go to OSU. I think they are about the same programs except OSU says you get in-state tuition after the first year and UMich makes you pay out-of-state tuition every year.

As far as clinical stuff is concerned, look at post-graduate residency opportunities and tell me who has more posted, OSU or Michigan-as of today. Last time I looked, which was a few weeks ago, there was a considerable number of residencies at OSU. I don't know if they like or dislike their students, but I wouldn't think they would dislike them.

The dean of OSU went to Michigan, and so did another adjunct faculty member at OSU who was at my OSU interview. I suspect Michigan may have slightly more name recognition than OSU, but not much. Both degrees will get you in the door, but what you do while you're earning them will get you that "good" job. I say choose based on where you want to live and how much money you're wanting to spend. I was told that I could get in-state tuition at UNC after the first year as well, but it's not as definitive as what OSU said. If I had to pay out-of-state tuition each year at UNC, I would go to OSU for sure. I really don't care about money that much, I just don't feel there's $68,000 worth of difference in the programs. Plus, the cost of living in Columbus is much lower than Ann Arbor or Chapel Hill.

For the comment about students failing out, I've never heard such a thing and spoke at length with a few first year students at Michigan. I could send you our messages if you would like, as I'm sure she wouldn't want to answer the same questions, and I could give you her email address. If you're smart enough to get in UMich, and you continue to do the work that is expected of you, then all I see is a PharmD. and lots of knowledge.

These comments are based on what? I interviewed there and spoke to over a dozen students. They were all impressed with the professors except one person. The therapeutics book used by multiple pharmacy schools has 3 of the 4 authors teaching at Michigan. Everyone I spoke to was extremely friendly and student oriented. To just say randomly it is the worst school as obviously an indecisive person that claims to have applied to over 20 schools. I wish people would back up their claims instead of just making up fake allegations to type on here.

This is preposterous. Michigan is one of the greatest universities in the world. To call it corrupt is absolutely ridiculous. I interviewed there; its an excellent PharmD program, university, and city.

I have heard some things about Michigan that are not what I would consider negative, but encouraged me to go to Wayne State instead (more clinically focused). Michigan, with a large endowment, is heavily focused on research. There is nothing wrong with this. Just a different style. You should choose a university based on how it fits what your looking for, not its name recognition.

I have never heard that Michigan has a high dropout rate. Considering that Michigan looks at the individual as a whole, and not just their GPA/PCAT scores (their mean GPA for the 2006 p1 class is 3.42, rather low), I would presume their faculty would be highly supportive of their students.

klampster23 is either one of two people:

1. An applicant who was rejected by Michigan.
2. A current or former student of The Ohio State University, a fan of the Ohio State Buckeyes, or a resident of the state of Ohio.

Hail to the Victors Valient! Hail to the Conquering Heroes! Hail, Hail to Michigan, the Leaders and the Best!

This is preposterous. Michigan is one of the greatest universities in the world. To call it corrupt is absolutely ridiculous. I interviewed there; its an excellent PharmD program, university, and city.

I have heard some things about Michigan that are not what I would consider negative, but encouraged me to go to Wayne State instead (more clinically focused). Michigan, with a large endowment, is heavily focused on research. There is nothing wrong with this. Just a different style. You should choose a university based on how it fits what your looking for, not its name recognition.

I have never heard that Michigan has a high dropout rate. Considering that Michigan looks at the individual as a whole, and not just their GPA/PCAT scores (their mean GPA for the 2006 p1 class is 3.42, rather low), I would presume their faculty would be highly supportive of their students.

klampster23 is either one of two people:

1. An applicant who was rejected by Michigan.
2. A current or former student of The Ohio State University, a fan of the Ohio State Buckeyes, or a resident of the state of Ohio.

Hail to the Victors Valient! Hail to the Conquering Heroes! Hail, Hail to Michigan, the Leaders and the Best!

I agree that each school is different and may lean more towards one aspect of pharmacy than another. That is only to the benefit of the individuals that have a choice on which school they rather attend based on their own career. Like greyfox said, he chose the school that he feels is setup better for his future ambitions which is how one should look at schools, not just repeat some comment that someone else may have heard from a friend. That or someone is bitter.

Again I don't see how someone applied to over 20 schools can have as much knowledge about each program to make such a huge judgement. That and if you think something is horrible, why would you even apply? I Am not going to apply to a school I think will throw me out or give me a horrible education. Makes zero sense.