AZPOD VS SCHOLL VS DES MOINES??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Packers4lifeDPM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to decide between these three schools and am not sure what to do. I really like all three schools but just want to get input from current student what the pros and cons between each school is.

Members don't see this ad.

Ive attended both AZPOD and DMU interviews and its a hard choice. The big selling point for AZPOD for me was the open door policy of the teachers. If there is a specific thing you are murky on, or need some helpful advice about whats tested on, the profs are there for you. DMU did not share the same sentiment.

Also, I like the idea of a small class size at AZPOD. Plus it wasn't -4 degrees in Arizona when I interviewed.

One thing I liked about DMU was the complete 3rd year rotations were all in house (DMU foot and ankle clinic).

One of the subtle things I noticed is that DMU is extremely big on what I call "Physician Parity", where you are treated in entirety as a medical student, like the DOs. AZPOD had that to an extent, but it seemed like there was more of an emphasis on the teaching of DOs. PODs were given 2 dips on the simulation labs to DOs. Perhaps a student can explain this, maybe I came on the wrong day or something.

One last thing, and this is entirely subjective, but I felt like the students at AZPOD were much more comfortable in their skin being pods and their role in the health care field as opposed to the DMU students. DMU students seemed to me trying to justify their education and their choice in podiatry, and as I found out, most of them applied to MD/DO schools and failed. This is both good and bad, as we need strong fighters to push for complete physician rights, but appeared a bit insecure. This wasn't overly the case, as it was just a subtle hint/flavor that most wanted to be DO students in the first place.

I am currently trying to decide between these three schools and am not sure what to do. I really like all three schools but just want to get input from current student what the pros and cons between each school is.
You also need to ask yourself if you can handle the 120 degree weather of arizona during the summer haha! The heat there is very real and it's very uncomfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at all 3, I didn't like midwstern very much. I felt like Scholl and DMU were better options for me personally. I felt like midwestern was very closed off from everything. I didn't really like their campus or facilities very much compared to other schools. I also felt like it seemed like there was a definite differentiation/rift from podiatry and other programs like the DO's.

With that being said, Midwestern is very good academically in regards to board rates and residencies. When you do get to the tour you go through their clinic. Maybe it was just the day I went or it's like that all the time but it seemed a lot busier with patients. Even at Scholl, they were having some event going on at the clinic but it was pretty much dead. You will however get the experience and knowledge you need at any of these schools (or any of the 9 really).

To me it came down to personal preference. Do you like super cold winters? Do you like blistering summers? Do you like brand new facilities? Does that matter too much? Do you enjoy a bigger class? I think wherever you choose to go you will have all the tools and opportunities to become a successful podiatrist. But choosing where you will be happiest for 4 years will really help you take advantage of all that.

Personally I ended up choosing DMU for a lot of reasons. (Disclaimer, I go this year, not a current student) I like the class size. I think having the same classes as the DO's is great. I love the facilities there, the underground tunnel when it's cold or rainy out you don't need to go outside. I like the lighting of the facilities and how bright it is in there. I think that's very important especially for winter months when it can be dreary (though that's not a big problem at midwestern). I like Des Moines as a city. It's not a huge bustling city with tons of traffic. It's quiet and easy going place but with most everything you want in a city nearby. Chicago is far from Scholl, and can take forever with traffic. DMU is also one of the best in terms of Board pass rates and residency placement for years. I love their fitness center. That was also important to me as at Midwestern and Scholl they have like a tiny little room smaller than my bedroom as their fitness center (slight exaggeration but still very small). And Cost of living is super cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
If my main area of focus that I would like to do is in sports medicine, is there one school better with that aspect of podiatry? I have been accepted to AZpod and School (with scholarship).

If my main area of focus that I would like to do is in sports medicine, is there one school better with that aspect of podiatry? I have been accepted to AZpod and School (with scholarship).

Can't attest to DMU or Scholl as I never interviewed at them. But between Midwestern, Western, CSPM, and Kent there wasn't a defining thing that screamed "Go here for sports medicine".

A lot of the professors at certain schools were very involved in sports and some weren't. Maybe inquire about current research projects and see which schools seem to gear towards sports medicine?

if you want a focus in practice that's going to depend on residency/fellowship training not the school.

At Scholl our sports med club is pretty big/active. We volunteered at the Chicago marathon, Wisconsin iron man, hustle up the hancock, and the special olympics this year so far.

Reactions: 1 users
if you want a focus in practice that's going to depend on residency/fellowship training not the school.

At Scholl our sports med club is pretty big/active. We volunteered at the Chicago marathon, Wisconsin iron man, hustle up the hancock, and the special olympics this year so far.
Is it pretty dangerous living in Chicago?

Is it pretty dangerous living in Chicago?

Sure... I mean every once in a while they don't salt the sidewalk enough and I slip on some ice... There are plenty of responses on the thread linked below. Chicago like any other major city has dangerous locations but Scholl is at least an hour north of downtown and the dangerous areas of chicago are south of the city or west of the city.

I live in the city and never worry about my safety. But I don't go to southside Chicago either. You can look up the crime map for Chicago. 95% of all crimes happen in the southside (Englewood, Back of the Yards, etc.) which is no where near Scholl. This is coming from a guy that grew up in a small town in the south.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/schools-in-dangerous-locations.1222700/

Sure... I mean every once in a while they don't salt the sidewalk enough and I slip on some ice... There are plenty of responses on the thread linked below. Chicago like any other major city has dangerous locations but Scholl is at least an hour north of downtown and the dangerous areas of chicago are south of the city or west of the city.

I live in the city and never worry about my safety. But I don't go to southside Chicago either. You can look up the crime map for Chicago. 95% of all crimes happen in the southside (Englewood, Back of the Yards, etc.) which is no where near Scholl. This is coming from a guy that grew up in a small town in the south.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/schools-in-dangerous-locations.1222700/
Thats good to know. You just hear about Chicago crime/homicide numbers and how crazy its been and so I didn't know if that was by School or not

Even at Scholl, they were having some event going on at the clinic but it was pretty much dead. You will however get the experience and knowledge you need at any of these schools (or any of the 9 really).

Just wanted to clarify this point.. Scholl interviews are on Monday's and we don't have Scholl Clinic on Monday afternoons. Student clinic days are Tuesday-Friday.

Thats good to know. You just hear about Chicago crime/homicide numbers and how crazy its been and so I didn't know if that was by School or not

Even if the school was downtown, you would still be safe. Probably safer than NY or Temple, (based on what I've been told), south side is a war zone. Downtown, north suburbs, north shore, all very nice. Countless things to do. Love me some Chicago.

Even if the school was downtown, you would still be safe. Probably safer than NY or Temple, (based on what I've been told), south side is a war zone. Downtown, north suburbs, north shore, all very nice. Countless things to do. Love me some Chicago.
Temple pod campus is totally safe. It's on the outskirts of the touristy areas and the police headquarters is literally across the street.

Temple main campus, a couple miles North, is a completely different story. We get police alerts from the areas around main campus quite often. We've never had one alert from around pod campus since I've been here.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users