AZCOM vs CUSOM vs RVUCOM-UT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2XY1XX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AZCOM
Pros
  • Established school with strong academic history
  • Rotations and residency opportunities in the local area. chance for stability for my kids as I try to complete all my training in one area
  • testing schedule- like the idea of many little tests as opposed to a few major ones
  • good area/schools for kids

Cons
  • total cost ~200k

CUSOM
Pros
  • again, rotations and residencies in area. chance for stability for my kids as I try to complete all my training in one area
  • cheap! with my GI bill tuition for all 4 years will be ~85k

Cons
  • really far a way from family. This is a big deal as we have 3 little kids who are very attached.
  • public schools in the area are really just bad. not really sure we would enjoy the east coast as much as the mountain west where we are from

RVUCOM-SU
Pros
  • really close to home (UT). attractive option for kids
  • good schools
  • RVUCOM is a strong school. assuming this site will have same academic results

Cons
  • no established residencies/opportunities in the area. we would be moving frequently through out my training (rotations, and definitely for residency as there are no current residencies in the area)
  • hoping to receive same quality education as RVUCOM in CO. At this point, there is no data as they just took their first class a few weeks ago.

Summary: I feel that I will receive an great education at any of these schools. My concern is that I want stability for my wife and kids (ages 8,5,3) while I go through the process. I feel that having access to local residencies will at least give me a chance to provide some sort of stability for them. Also, staying near family is a major point of concern for us.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with the school that has the best options for your kids and family life. Making your SO's life easier will be a godsend during the first four years. You will likely have to move for residency and that is far away so I wouldnt worry about that portion. The only other part is the debt and that is a personal decision do you think the difference in debt is worth the trouble it would spare your SO?

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose RVUCOM SU mainly to keep my wife and kids close ish to family and haven't regretted it yet. I know there are a lot of options and I'm not stoked for moving for rotations (we will cross that bridge when it comes) but it will likely put us even closer to our families.

Curious about the testing schedule at AZCOM? I declined my interview there last year so I don't know much about it.

I chose RVUCOM SU mainly to keep my wife and kids close ish to family and haven't regretted it yet. I know there are a lot of options and I'm not stoked for moving for rotations (we will cross that bridge when it comes) but it will likely put us even closer to our families.

Curious about the testing schedule at AZCOM? I declined my interview there last year so I don't know much about it.
So they test weekly. Every Monday as opposed to a few major exams

So they test weekly. Every Monday as opposed to a few major exams

I can see the good to that but at the same time.. I love my free weekends! Not much better than finishing a Friday test and having next to nothing that you have to do (there is always something that you should be doing).

RVU doesn't have a set test schedule. But it depends on the course. What I do like about RVU is the day before a test you usually have nothing mandatory to go to (not always the case) but usually it's pretty open to just study the day before the test.

Best of luck with the tough decision, sounds like you have your priorities lined up well so I'm sure you will make a good choice. Let me know if you have any RVU specific questions. I also have kids and was in a similar spot last year.

I can see the good to that but at the same time.. I love my free weekends! Not much better than finishing a Friday test and having next to nothing that you have to do (there is always something that you should be doing).

RVU doesn't have a set test schedule. But it depends on the course. What I do like about RVU is the day before a test you usually have nothing mandatory to go to (not always the case) but usually it's pretty open to just study the day before the test.

Best of luck with the tough decision, sounds like you have your priorities lined up well so I'm sure you will make a good choice. Let me know if you have any RVU specific questions. I also have kids and was in a similar spot last year.
I actually am leaning toward RVU-SU. I should hear back today or tomorrow about the interview. It is my first choice. I will wait to hear about the interview. If accepted, I might take you up on answering a few questions. Cool?

I actually am leaning toward RVU-SU. I should hear back today or tomorrow about the interview. It is my first choice. I will wait to hear about the interview. If accepted, I might take you up on answering a few questions. Cool?

Of course, hope you get that phone call soon!