AZCOM (Midwestern-AZ) vs RVUCOM-CO (Rocky Vista)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GetReady14

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I'm having some trouble deciding between these two schools for the coming Fall. Some background: I'm originally from southern California and would ideally like to return there for residency.

Both schools have similar solid board scores and match lists

AZCOM/Midwestern
Pros
  • Closer to home (5 hr drive)
  • Offer some rotation sites in California (increased chance of landing a residency there?)
  • Familiar with the campus and area and like it (have some local ties)
Cons
  • Very expensive tuition- 70k (15K more than RVU)
  • Letter grades
  • Harsh weekly testing schedule
  • Large 250 person class

RVUCOM-CO
Pros
  • Less expensive tuition- 55k
  • Pass/Fail grade system
  • Smaller class size of 150 (compared to AZCOM)
  • Have a global medicine track I may be interested in
Cons
  • All rotations are in CO, AZ, or WY (none in CA)
  • Need to fly home if I'm visiting
  • Never visited campus because my interview was done virtually (shoutout to covid-19)

If anybody has any info about how big of a difference where you do core rotations makes in where you'll do residency, please let me know! I feel like it's going to ultimately come down to: chances of me getting residency in CA vs. high tuition

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Should be in DO section.

As for your question: sorry can't help you, don't know much about these schools.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
I know that AZCOM is traditionally more well-respected, and it may be nice to be closer to home, but idk if that justifies a $100k difference after interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Just an FYI regarding cost, although RVU has noticeably cheaper tuition, their COA is still fairly close.

AZCOM: ~400-470k (source)
RVUCOM: ~400k (source)

Denver's high COL really ramps up RVU's COA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI regarding cost, although RVU has noticeably cheaper tuition, their COA is still fairly close.

AZCOM: ~400-470k (source)
RVUCOM: ~400k (source)

Denver's high COL really ramps up RVU's COA.

Good point! Thanks so much for linking the sources. I feel like I'll end up on the higher end of that 400-470K range since I won't be getting much help from parents and I heard that on-campus housing is in high demand/hard to get. But cost of living is definitely something I have to think about.

Should be in DO section.

As for your question: sorry can't help you, don't know much about these schools.

X vs. Y med school threads don't have MD/DO distinction on these forums other than thread tags, but thanks for chiming in.

OP - have you considered AZCOM's rotations? Do you have a car? You will need be driving many miles in the heat for rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
X vs. Y med school threads don't have MD/DO distinction on these forums other than thread tags, but thanks for chiming in.

OP - have you considered AZCOM's rotations? Do you have a car? You will need be driving many miles in the heat for rotations.
Thx.

From what I've heard AZCOM's rotations aren't that inaccessible. Are they notorious for being really far from campus? I do have a car with functional air conditioning though (thankfully)!

From what I've heard AZCOM's rotations aren't that inaccessible. Are they notorious for being really far from campus? I do have a car with functional air conditioning though (thankfully)!
The ones in Tucson or Phoenix aren't too bad, others are really spread out, especially in cali

Hi everybody! I'm having some trouble deciding between these two schools for the coming Fall. Some background: I'm originally from southern California and would ideally like to return there for residency.

Both schools have similar solid board scores and match lists

AZCOM/Midwestern
Pros
  • Closer to home (5 hr drive)
  • Offer some rotation sites in California (increased chance of landing a residency there?)
  • Familiar with the campus and area and like it (have some local ties)
Cons
  • Very expensive tuition- 70k (15K more than RVU)
  • Letter grades
  • Harsh weekly testing schedule
  • Large 250 person class

RVUCOM-CO
Pros
  • Less expensive tuition- 55k
  • Pass/Fail grade system
  • Smaller class size of 150 (compared to AZCOM)
  • Have a global medicine track I may be interested in
Cons
  • All rotations are in CO, AZ, or WY (none in CA)
  • Need to fly home if I'm visiting
  • Never visited campus because my interview was done virtually (shoutout to covid-19)

If anybody has any info about how big of a difference where you do core rotations makes in where you'll do residency, please let me know! I feel like it's going to ultimately come down to: chances of me getting residency in CA vs. high tuition

Any and all feedback is welcome!
I am a current AZCOM student. Feel free to DM me

Reactions: 1 user
I am a 4th year (from a different DO school) and from what I have heard on the interview trail for residency, Rocky Mountain Vista is better, more respected and better scores, which unfortunately still matters.

If you have any idea of what you want to go into, look at their affiliated hospitals and residency programs, where do they send their 3rd years for rotations... are these solid institutions?

I interviewed at RVU and one thing to think about is the campus. I know for me, I prefer the feeling of a larger campus with more of a collegiate feeling. RVU is literally just one single building in Parker. Does that justify the cost difference? Maybe not. Something to think about though. I do like the P/F system they have at RVU though

I interviewed and was accepted at both of these schools. I would go RVU personally. AZCOM tuition is a complete joke. an extra 100K plus interest is not worth it, and RVU seemed to perform better