This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sordybaby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am stressing myself out. It's the week before finals and I really don't know what's going on in any of my classes. I started this year off with an amazing planner, study schedule, sleep schedule and diet! I was even working out a few times a week. Then my three year old started having sleep issues and I lost my time at night to study. Then, I started skipping classes because I felt like I could just teach myself by reading on my own. I couldn't stand sitting through lectures. The only classes I've gone to regularly are my Biology lecture and lab because Biology is my major. Big mistake. I never had to study before college and now I have absolutely no clue how to study! I got a D on my first Biology test and put so much time studying for that class, that I completely neglected my other classes.
I will probably have a B+ in my Bio class and lab, then D's in my other three classes. I *might* be able to pull C's but I highly doubt it. Finals are next week and I can't even bring myself to study for my other 3 classes because I don't even know what we are going over in class.

Last semester I had a 2.47 and I'm pretty sure I'll probably get less than a 2.0 this semester. I know where I went wrong and plan on regularly attending classes, making flash cards and attending study groups. That's how I brought my D to a B+ in Biology. Still not the greatest score, but I didn't start putting in any effort until a week or two after midterm grades came out. I haven't even wanted to look at my grades because I'm so ashamed. I had over a 4.0 in high school and it's really killing me that I'm so far from that my first year. I haven't even scheduled my classes for next semester because I'm afraid my advisor will tell me I'm not smart enough to go to med school.

Should I even study for these finals? Should I just drop out? I love biology and really don't want to major in anything else, but will this awful first year keep me from getting into the DO school I've been hoping to apply to in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

tumblr_mary7bATve1qaho1po4_250.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am stressing myself out. It's the week before finals and I really don't know what's going on in any of my classes. I started this year off with an amazing planner, study schedule, sleep schedule and diet! I was even working out a few times a week. Then my three year old started having sleep issues and I lost my time at night to study. Then, I started skipping classes because I felt like I could just teach myself by reading on my own. I couldn't stand sitting through lectures. The only classes I've gone to regularly are my Biology lecture and lab because Biology is my major. Big mistake. I never had to study before college and now I have absolutely no clue how to study! I got a D on my first Biology test and put so much time studying for that class, that I completely neglected my other classes.
I will probably have a B+ in my Bio class and lab, then D's in my other three classes. I *might* be able to pull C's but I highly doubt it. Finals are next week and I can't even bring myself to study for my other 3 classes because I don't even know what we are going over in class.

Last semester I had a 2.47 and I'm pretty sure I'll probably get less than a 2.0 this semester. I know where I went wrong and plan on regularly attending classes, making flash cards and attending study groups. That's how I brought my D to a B+ in Biology. Still not the greatest score, but I didn't start putting in any effort until a week or two after midterm grades came out. I haven't even wanted to look at my grades because I'm so ashamed. I had over a 4.0 in high school and it's really killing me that I'm so far from that my first year. I haven't even scheduled my classes for next semester because I'm afraid my advisor will tell me I'm not smart enough to go to med school.

Should I even study for these finals? Should I just drop out? I love biology and really don't want to major in anything else, but will this awful first year keep me from getting into the DO school I've been hoping to apply to in the future?

I'll say it so @Goro doesn't need to: take a chill pill, take a deep breath, you're still just a freshman. Get your act together and kill the next three years.

Reactions: 1 user
everyone has periods where they mess up. just learn from mistakes and dont repeat them

I am the queen of screwing up freshman year. And sophomore. come to think of it, I did a pretty good job of screwing up junior year too. Well, and my senior year. Yep. I am the queen of it all. Thought what I did not fix for freshman year would somehow work in sophomore year. It didn't.

Don't be me. Figure out what the issue is (friends? study habits? bad adjustment to college? ADHD? anxiety?) - get the help you need, crush the rest of your undergrad. You'll be fine.

If you don't, you will be me. Don't be me. Seriously.

You grow as a student, and learn from your mistakes. Like I said previously, medical schools don't care for one poor year freshman year. Often times, they know the transition to college is difficult, and you need some time adjusting.

I didn't start putting in any effort until a week or two after midterm grades came out.
<-- ok.. don't whine because you know what you did here....

I'm afraid my advisor will tell me I'm not smart enough to go to med school.
- that shouldn't be your biggest concern. Your biggest concerns should be:
1. Why is my study habits falling apart?
2. Can I handle the rigor of med school?

Not what your advisor can tell you.

I love biology and really don't want to major in anything else
I don't think you've really TRIED anything else... especially as a freshman. But whatever, if you love it - then work harder at it.

will this awful first year keep me from getting into the DO school I've been hoping to apply to in the future?

Probably not - you can always retake classes for DO and do grade replacements. But that's like looking at an extra year right now.

<-- ok.. don't whine because you know what you did here....

- that shouldn't be your biggest concern. Your biggest concerns should be:
1. Why is my study habits falling apart?
2. Can I handle the rigor of med school?

Not what your advisor can tell you.

I don't think you've really TRIED anything else... especially as a freshman. But whatever, if you love it - then work harder at it.

Probably not - you can always retake classes for DO and do grade replacements. But that's like looking at an extra year right now.
I think I stated that I know where I went wrong. Obviously being arrogant and not going to class/thinking I could teach myself. My kid had sleep issues and I wasn't able to spend my nights studying because I was singing lullabies and reading 500 books and trying to get him to stay in his bed. Kind of makes it hard to focus and retain anything.
I also mentioned that I have poor study skills because I've never had to study.

This was my freshman year as a biology major. I had two part time semesters as an English/Business major. Hated my English classes (though I did well) and absolutely hated business math. Loved my biology classes each semester though and loved science all through high school. I just didn't believe I could go the premed route as a young, single mom.

But, I understand everything. I love what I learn and I really want to help other families as a pediatrician. I know that I can handle this with a better schedule and actually going to my classes and taking advantage of study sessions. I just wanted to be sure that I still had a chance.

So technically, this is my last freshman semester but only my first semester with health science classes. Sorry I didn't make that clear

Lots of students are shocked in college when they have to study. It's a wake up call. Go see a learning strategist if your school has them, go to every single class, review your notes, quiz yourself, etc.

Here's a coursera course on learning that's very appropriate for science. It might be a good use of your time over the break. https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes... you have a chance... probably not MD. But DO is a great choice for peds.

Ignore that advice. It's not true right now. Figure out the issues. Overcome the issues (don't study at home for starters, don't study when child is around, don't study when there are potential distractions ala study in the library where it's quiet).

AND - do not study with people. Ever. Unless you are teaching it TO them before an exam, just don't.

How to study. I had the same issues as you listed coupled with a drinking age that was 18, and I was 1500 miles from home living off my parents. I'd finished 4th grade by December and high school by the time I was 14. There was no PSEO back then or AP classes. So, yeah, I feel your pain.

So, here's how to study for next semester after you finish this one the best you can.

1) study at school - always, unless late at night and you're only reviewing notes
2) make flash cards for every main topic of every class (I no longer do this but it did get me A's)
3) go through those flashcards every day, put the ones you know in a pile of "known" and those that you don't in another one
4) keep going through them until they're all in the known pile and then repeat
5) after doing that, ask yourself - how do the topics fit together ... if you're into ER why is it ER and not SR? where does something leaving the ER go? what happens at that next organelle? what happens next ... and so on
6) for chemistry - write every equation and all derivatives of it. PV=nRT becomes every derivative and if you don't have V but have density - then what? well, you probably have a mass instead... figure it out :)
7) see the counseling and guidance department at your college... they are the experts in helping students learn to study - they may have other tips/tricks

I no longer do notecards - thanks to the MCAT I will never, ever do them again.... I rewrite all points from lectures on card stock and re-read them nightly... and I draw. Everything. G0 - G1 - S - G2 - M -- all of it and even the tiny prophase, ...

It is a lot of work. LOTS. But my grades show the effort. If after doing everything above, your grades are not improving, then re-evaluate. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.

Ignore that advice.

She just got a 2.47 last semester and likely not even a 2.0 this semester (or so she predicts)...

Perhaps it's her kid (Yeah, Single parenting is extremely hard), or perhaps it's her abilities, or perhaps it's her skills. Even if she gets a 4.0 for the next three years (assuming her course load roughing is equal in each year), she will end up with 3.55.

Can you get into MD with 3.55? Yeah. Is it easy? No. Do you need a decent/good MCAT? Yeah.

Now realistically speaking, what are the chances she goes from 2.0 --> 4.0? I'm not saying she can't... but it's a bit unrealistic. Shooting for a 3.5 would be a good goal for now. At the end, if she gets 3.5 for 3 more years, her GPA would be around a 3.1. Unless she's URM, she is UNLIKELY to get into MD.

However - with DO - you can do grade replacements.

She wants to do Peds... DO isn't really stigmatized in Peds (relatively to Derm or Plastics).

Can you get into MD with 3.55? Yeah.

Exactly. Your advice is sour, unhelpful, and should not be listened to. She's a FRESHMAN (I think by extrapolation) with a kid. You are always negative nelly on these boards.

So my advice to the OP stands, don't listen to it. Besides, life has a funny way of working itself out; either she'll get the grades needed or not. Either way, the path will become more clear.

Ehhhh, your Freshman year isn't so bad as compared to those I've seen on the board who got in. Get your head in the game and when you're fully prepared, retake those classes and nail it hard! If it makes you feel better, my Freshman year gpa was 0.067 :D.

AND - do not study with people. Ever. Unless you are teaching it TO them before an exam, just don't.

This. I found that people who do group studying get absolutely dick accomplished.

If it makes you feel better, my Freshman year gpa was 0.067 :D.

Not much consolation until you matriculate.

I found that people who do group studying get absolutely dick accomplished.

Well, to be fair, I did learn how to pull up an app called Waze ;)

If it makes you feel better, my Freshman year gpa was 0.067 :D.

and if it makes YOU feel any better, my freshman year was a?

but I did get a 4.0 in drinking games, lime vodka tasting and front row seats for the Chippendales :D

She just got a 2.47 last semester and likely not even a 2.0 this semester (or so she predicts)...

Perhaps it's her kid (Yeah, Single parenting is extremely hard), or perhaps it's her abilities, or perhaps it's her skills. Even if she gets a 4.0 for the next three years (assuming her course load roughing is equal in each year), she will end up with 3.55.

Can you get into MD with 3.55? Yeah. Is it easy? No. Do you need a decent/good MCAT? Yeah.

Now realistically speaking, what are the chances she goes from 2.0 --> 4.0? I'm not saying she can't... but it's a bit unrealistic. Shooting for a 3.5 would be a good goal for now. At the end, if she gets 3.5 for 3 more years, her GPA would be around a 3.1. Unless she's URM, she is UNLIKELY to get into MD.

However - with DO - you can do grade replacements.

She wants to do Peds... DO isn't really stigmatized in Peds (relatively to Derm or Plastics).

It's not unrealistic at all. Are you a single parent? Did you get through hard science classes with a child? Probably not. Seeing as I had straight A's in all of my honors, AP, and Post Secondary (college courses I took as a high school student)...I think I can manage to get straight A's again. Will it be hard? Obviously. Do I need to buckle down a lot more? Of course. I'm using this year to help me in the future. I know what to do and what not to do. I know to use my free-time a lot better.
I don't think it's fair for you to judge me on one year. I messed up this year, but I also stated that I completely understood everything that I took the time to learn. When I went to lectures, I understood it the first time it was taught and I was able to answer those questions correctly on tests. It's the information that I taught myself or didn't bother to look at that I *obviously* struggled with.

Again, I was way too confident. I've always been good at taking tests. Until now obviously.

Thanks for trying to keep me realistic, I guess, but I think your responses are kind of negative. I just needed to know that I still had a chance. I needed a bit of reassurance

Thank you everyone for the advice :) I just needed some encouragement. I'm ready to knock these finals out and manage my time (and stress) a little better in the years coming.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not unrealistic at all. Are you a single parent? Did you get through hard science classes with a child? Probably not. Seeing as I had straight A's in all of my honors, AP, and Post Secondary (college courses I took as a high school student)...I think I can manage to get straight A's again. Will it be hard? Obviously. Do I need to buckle down a lot more? Of course. I'm using this year to help me in the future. I know what to do and what not to do. I know to use my free-time a lot better.
I don't think it's fair for you to judge me on one year. I messed up this year, but I also stated that I completely understood everything that I took the time to learn. When I went to lectures, I understood it the first time it was taught and I was able to answer those questions correctly on tests. It's the information that I taught myself or didn't bother to look at that I *obviously* struggled with.

Again, I was way too confident. I've always been good at taking tests. Until now obviously.

Thanks for trying to keep me realistic, I guess, but I think your responses are kind of negative. I just needed to know that I still had a chance. I needed a bit of reassurance
Dude you totally misunderstood me.

You have a kid - you are a single parent and that alone is hard as ****. More to you girl. But your kid isn't going to disappear, and it makes school harder for you than most people.

Given your circumstances - I think it's hard to get 3.5+. I'm not saying you can't. If I had a kid as a single parent, I probably would struggled to get a 3.5 too. (I was/am pretty damn good at school).

And I said it could be due to any factors...
1. It's probably your time commitment - due to your child - nothing you can do about that.
2. Maybe you were over confident and you didn't study as much as you should've - this not applying your full potential.

But as hard as it may sound - there is always other possibility
3. Maybe you don't have the right study habits/skills.
4. It is possible that Med school isn't for everyone. But I am NOT saying you fall under this category - as you said I don't know you.

I'm not trying to judge you - I'm just direct and realistic. If you make straight 4.0 and get into a top 20 schools, then great. I am just using what I little I know about you to give you an realistic outcome.

Maybe you did poorly because of 1&2 and you found ways to work around that. Awesome.

I'm telling you to be realistic because of your circumstances (single parenting, high school college transitions). I think you need to retake your math and science classes and get A it Bs in them. And if you do well GPA at least 3.3, you can try MD. If you bomb a few more and need to retake classes (which is fine - I'm again not judging you) and your GPA comes to be 3.2 or lower - or your mcat isn't as strong (sub30) - go DO.

There is nothing wrong with DO.

Last edited:
This. I found that people who do group studying get absolutely dick accomplished.

Not much consolation until you matriculate.
I had a summer with a 2.0 GPA - but it was only 6 credit hour - in non math/science.

Matriculated to top 20.

...but I think your responses are kind of negative. I just needed to know that I still had a chance. I needed a bit of reassurance

One thing on SDN and most internet forums is that there are people who are just looking for a reason to cut others down; somehow, it seems they think this will make them feel better. It won't but they're not my problem and they certainly don't ask me for help. If they did, I would.

YOU have a full life ahead of you. YOU have the ability to take this life and make it yours. Do what I suggested, tweak to your own individual circumstances.

My story is embedded in here and on my blog and other forums. Suffice to say, I came out of high school thinking I was Einstein. Then moved to a different state, far far away from my terroristic mother, where the drinking age was 18 and I let loose. I was drunk at night, in the morning, in class and if I showed up to exams, I was probably drunk then too. I remember vividly sitting in a calculus for engineers class and thinking I was going to puke on the guy in front of me. I was the only female.

I then proceeded to have a child, at 21. Sadly, 6 months later he passed of SIDS (autopsy was performed, had to review that and sign off on it). Somehow, because at one point I was not just a drunken, stupid, sorority girl, when my son died, the faculty and administration at the highest level of the very well known university, sat with me and went over my transcripts and decided how I was going to graduate.

I did. With a 2.196. 40+ W's probably 35+ F's; some of those W's were repeats of the F's, some of those F's were replaced by D+ or C-; an entire year was wiped off my transcript in it's entirety to get me eligible to graduate. (The year my abusive, terrroristic mother convinced my dad to disown me; that was the year I was pregnant and was wiped out.)

From there, I went on... had a 2nd child with my college sweetheart (captain of the football team). But he would not grow up so I left him and raised my 2nd son alone, without help. Went back for an MBA in Finance (because med school was out forever, I was told)... my career took off, I traveled the world leading teams, allowing my compassion chip to grow.

At the age of 38, the dean of the med school at that University spoke to my Rotary Club and said I had no chance in hell of ever getting in, no matter what I did... I listened to him.

Yet... here I sit at 51. Almost a 4.0 in post-bacc, pre-reqs from that SAME university, and an A+ in physics from a different university and Lord willing, an A in genetics this semester. Was set to take the MCAT in Sept but family emergencies popped up and I did not sit, though I was ready and eager to take it.

Lesson? I wish I knew that I had undiagnosed ADHD back then, I wish my pride would have quelled so that I could ask the student services and guidance department for study tips/tricks. I wish for a lot of things but the only thing I can do now is this:

1) help and support others who are my peers on this path to see there is hope
2) do my best and let the chips fall where they may

YOU can do this but you MUST figure out how, when, where to study. Do not be me ... figure it out now :)

I had a summer with a 2.0 GPA - but it was only 6 credit hour - in non math/science.

Matriculated to top 20.

Given the bolded, then surely you know that your statement means little to nothing in the context of this thread.

Given the bolded, then surely you know that your statement means little to nothing in the context of this thread.
Sorry lost in translation lol.

Let me simplify my statement and meaning:
"OP - you can do it - good luck"