away rotations sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hot sauce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year medical student at a medical school with a home program (not a top tier school) trying to decide where to apply for away rotations. As I understand it, the primary of goals of away rotations are to get a good LOR and perhaps get your foot in the door at a program. So do I apply for top tier programs and places with big names? But will I even work with the big name person if I choose a spot hoping to get a LOR from the big shot? Furthermore, I don't know where I'd like to match. Obviously I will do a rotation at my home program but I'd like to do 1-2 away rotations.

Basically I feel a little lost on how to choose - feels like a blind date. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So do I apply for top tier programs and places with big names?

The commonly given advice is to rotate at one top-tier program where you might not otherwise have been looked at, and try to get a letter from a big name there (PD or Chair, preferably) and one more "in your range." I wouldn't do any more than 2 and I met quite a few people on the trail who didn't do any aways.

But will I even work with the big name person if I choose a spot hoping to get a LOR from the big shot?.

Usually that can be worked out so long as they aren't on a conference or something. Make sure to express your desire to work with a specific attending early and often to their secretary and/or the course coordinator.

Furthermore, I don't know where I'd like to match. Obviously I will do a rotation at my home program but I'd like to do 1-2 away rotations.

Think about what you would like in a program, such as location, size, research, technology (although some disagree with this). It's a very personal decision as you can see from the anonymous rank lists.

Basically I feel a little lost on how to choose - feels like a blind date. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would caution against getting into any kind of romantic involvement on these away rotations :laugh:

Last edited:
Along with the theme of this thread stems another question: when is the latest time in the year during fourth year that we can do an away elective and it potentially serve to our advantage for LORs/interview chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
September/early October-ish I'd imagine. Most start looking at apps before and after ASTRO. Some start later. I'd say if its a very good letter even early November is okay, as long as you already have 2-3 good letters in.

S

I believe ERAS stops allowing you to upload letters of recommendation on November 1st, so realistically, I think that rotating in September is probably the latest that you could get a LOR in time to beat this deadline. However, if you rotate later, you could send individual programs copies of this letter of recommendation outside of ERAS.

As far as increasing your interview chances, I would try to rotate before November. The vast majority of programs review applications and send out interview invitations during November. Also, ASTRO is at the beginning of November this year- something to keep in mind, as many faculty will be gone.

How about Step 2 being required before getting an interview? Is this a new policy or can we still take it later? I hear some schools (not sure if relates to prelim or radonc) require these scores before interviews.