Away Rotations After ERAS App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthodreams4ever

Reaction score
Hi All,

Applying to the upcoming cycle. Does it hurt my chances if I do not get in all of my away rotations prior to submitting ERAS? I have a lower step 1 (low 230) and am trying to kill step 2 (shooting for 260) and need a bit more time to study. Doing so, however, will only allow me to do 1 away rotation prior to the apps being submitted. I was going to do the subsequent ones in Sept and October. If anyone can comment on this, I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

When is your home rotation?

Are you taking a month off for step 2 in July or August?

This is how it would be planned out:
July - Home
August - Away 1
September - Away 2
October - Away 3

I guess I could do my aways before my home but seems like that is not the norm.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the same as my schedule.

The apps open in mid-September I think.

I was planning on getting a letter from Away 1 and Away 2. Luckily, I know people at Away 2, so I can get the letter pretty soon after I get there.

I think your schedule is pretty typical, as most of my classmates have planned their schedules like this.

It's fine. You wont be able to get letters from away 3, that is all.

The only thing this affects is your ability to get letters from your third away rotation.

The biggest reason to do aways is to get an “in” with that particular institution.

What are you guys thoughts about taking a research year? I know its kind of late in the game as I am already a 4th year now but my research PI mentioned its utility given my step 1 score of 230. Do you guys feel like it could make a big difference? I planned to do one if I ended up not matching and defer graduation at that time. Is it a huge red flag to be a re-applicant for ortho? My PI I spoke with seemed like it dropped your chances a ton. Any thoughts/suggestions? Someone who has been through it!?

Reactions: 1 user
tldr at the end

Re-application is a big deal. The match % goes down like crazy after not matching once.

I'm just finishing my research year now. My stats are a bit higher than yours, but I was planning on a research year for a while to boost my research.

Here's the thing, if you have like 3-5 published ortho papers right now and like 4 poster/podium presentations at ortho meetings, it won't make you look better on paper to the vast majority of ortho programs. This is what I've heard from residents, attendings and my chair.

But, if you got a shot at having a productive research year, and your research is a weak spot on your application, it can be huge. It could literally change your life.

My cousin got low 240s/250s step 1/2. No AOA, bottom 50% of class from a mid-tier medical school. He went to an ivory tower ortho program to do research for a year with a young, hot shot attending who is very demanding. He worked 80+ hours per week in the research group (multiple other research-year med students quit within a month and he took over their projects and became research coordinator by default). He published a dozen of papers during that year, and his attending basically loves him for it.

Come application time, he gets 8 interviews, which is not surprising for his stats. He matches at the ivory tower program that he did the year at. He finds out later that the attending he worked with fought to recruit him to the program.

This is just one anecdote, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm finishing my year now, and I am hoping to match at the program I'm working at right now.

TLDR; If you need research, and you have a good opportunity to work your ass off and be productive, you should take a research year. It could change everything.

Edit: Grammar

Reactions: 1 user
tldr at the end

Re-application is a big deal. The match % goes down like crazy after not matching once.

I'm just finishing my research year now. My stats are a bit higher than yours, but I was planning on a research year for a while to boost my research.

Here's the thing, if you have like 3-5 published ortho papers right now and like 4 poster/podium presentations at ortho meetings, it won't make you look better on paper to the vast majority of ortho programs. This is what I've heard from residents, attendings and my chair.

But, if you got a shot at having a productive research year, and your research is a weak spot on your application, it can be huge. It could literally change your life.

My cousin got low 240s/250s step 1/2. No AOA, bottom 50% of class from a mid-tier medical school. He went to an ivory tower ortho program to do research for a year with a young, hot shot attending who is very demanding. He worked 80+ hours per week in the research group (multiple other research-year med students quit within a month and he took over their projects and became research coordinator by default). He published a dozen of papers during that year, and his attending basically loves him for it.

Come application time, he gets 8 interviews, which is not surprising for his stats. He matches at the ivory tower program that he did the year at. He finds out later that the attending he worked with fought to recruit him to the program.

This is just one anecdote, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm finishing my year now, and I am hoping to match at the program I'm working at right now.

TLDR; If you need research, and you have a good opportunity to work your ass off and be productive, you should take a research year. It could change everything.

Edit: Grammar
Any way to direct message you? Had some specific questions for you about your research year if you do not mind!