Average Statistics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mackspek

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a high school senior, apologies if I am posting in the wrong category.

Since, December of 2014, I have been working at a Pharmacy. I've always wanted to pursue a degree in the realm of IT, but now I am interested in pharmacy school. However, I haven't taken many chemistry courses, and I fear it would be too tough to get into a pharmacy program. I am wondering if I am able to complete pharmacy school, I've never been the best student. I received a 1640 overall on my SAT without studying or tutoring, and my average junior year was a 92%. Is this below average? The difficulty of pharmacy school seems very discouraging.

Members don't see this ad.

Why pharmacy over IT/computer programming?

Stoichiometrist I would enjoy pharmacy, I know I would because I've worked as a tech alongside a pharmacist since last December. I should have worded this differently, I am trying to decide which field to pursue. Both are appealing, I am just asking about the chances I get accepted into a program at any schools.

1) IT/computer programming will give you far better job prospects than pharmacy. The computer field is growing quickly, and demand for workers continues to rise. If you live in or near a major city, you will be able to find a job easily. On the other hand, pharmacy is saturated with graduates from all the new schools that have opened in the last 15 years and continues to get worse each as the expansion in schools has not stopped. You will most likely have to move to a rural area to find a job in pharmacy once you graduate, if those aren't filled already by the tens of thousands of graduates clamoring for each job.

2) Barring the jobs that require degrees and certificates, IT/computer programming cost about nothing to learn. On the other hand, pharmacy may requires you to take out over $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 or more years in school only to have WORSE job prospects compared to IT/programming.

There are tons of pharmacy schools that will take anyone with a pulse, so your chances of getting accepted are very high if you do not mind the reputation. Are you applying to a 6-year program?

Last edited: