Average Physician Salary per Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteodoc7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not all about money, but looking at some of the supposed avg salaries of certain specialties can become depressing. Certain articles are posting avg salaries for pediatrics at $170,000 and neurology only $215,000.
What resources will provide the most adequate salary per specialty? Also, I have always wondered how they obtain these average salaries. Are they grabbing the average of posted salaries by health networks? If so, these numbers might be reasonably off. Take example a hospitalist for the network I work for. The network might post salaries of $190,000 for hospitalist, but that's not including the physician bonus. In addition, the hospitalists I know work 7 on and 7 off. I was told many of the hospitalist work at other clinics during the off shifts. Are these websites considering the accumulated salary from working at other gigs or even overtime?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No. They are all inaccurate in one way or another.

You think docs want their salaries out there for people to see so that they can be further cut down as their responsibilities increase?

Just contact the hiring agencies using a fake e-mail if you really wanna know.

google is ur friend!!!!

I usually just use medscape compensation report to look up salaries but I hear MGMA report is the most accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
This is correct, MGMA data is considered to be the most reliable.

Also, to the OP, not sure what your level of training is, but if you're a soon to be graduating resident/fellow, talking to your colleagues who are a year or so ahead of you (already accepted a job offer, or a few years out post-training, in practice), they'll usually be pretty up front with you about what what kind of starting packages you can expect to encounter.

This is correct, MGMA data is considered to be the most reliable.

Also, to the OP, not sure what your level of training is, but if you're a soon to be graduating resident/fellow, talking to your colleagues who are a year or so ahead of you (already accepted a job offer, or a few years out post-training, in practice), they'll usually be pretty up front with you about what what kind of starting packages you can expect to encounter.
I think it's ~220k for peds and and ~280k for neuro according to MGMA...

I think it's ~220k for peds and and ~280k for neuro according to MGMA...

Where can one find the mgma report? I always hear it’s the most accurate but can never find the report itself

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You have to pay for it.