Average GPA and OAT score!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shans

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of GPA do you need to have to get into optometry school!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well it depends. Too many people think acceptance is SOLEY based on OAT and GPA. It is NOT. But I know people who have been accepted as low as 2.8 and as high as 3.8. Personally I believe a 3.3 GPA is competitive.

i agree with optman....3.3 gpa is competetive. If you have a decent OAT score with a competetive gpa, above 340, with nothing under 300, I think yu'll pretty much be set for most if not all schools in the states

Members don't see this ad :)
For english canada (waterloo) you're looking at GPA of about 3.8 and an OAT of 370

oohhh canadaaaa

I don't think the average GPA will be that high at waterloo, but you're correct with the OAT stats. Averages for waterloo ranged last year from 81-94%, and I know of people who had their interviews this year with approximately a 3.3-3.4.

I don't think the average GPA will be that high at waterloo, but you're correct with the OAT stats. Averages for waterloo ranged last year from 81-94%, and I know of people who had their interviews this year with approximately a 3.3-3.4.

I heard about the high OAT but I know someone that got a interview OAT score of 330. However, they were asked for the interview much later than some other people got asked for an interview (maybe 5 days before the interview vs. week after handing in application...).

I'm just getting so nervous. I keep on checking quest everyday. I need to know if I got in!

I heard about the high OAT but I know someone that got a interview OAT score of 330. However, they were asked for the interview much later than some other people got asked for an interview (maybe 5 days before the interview vs. week after handing in application...).

I'm just getting so nervous. I keep on checking quest everyday. I need to know if I got in!

Hey do you know if non-UW students can check on quest? apparently they're making their decisions this week!

there's no way people with a gpa of 3.3 or 3.4 are gettin interviews unless they scored ridiculously well on the OAT. I don't even think 3.3 makes the cut off for the 75% minimum cut-off. All I know is that Waterloo has their own crazy way of doing things.

Good luck to all who are waiting for a decision :)

there's no way people with a gpa of 3.3 or 3.4 are gettin interviews unless they scored ridiculously well on the OAT. I don't even think 3.3 makes the cut off for the 75% minimum cut-off. All I know is that Waterloo has their own crazy way of doing things.

Good luck to all who are waiting for a decision :)

For waterloo anyways, a 3.3 GPA is a average between 77-79% but I'm suprised too that a lot of people with those averages were interviewed...

Anyday now.....:scared:

Yup, I know at least 2 people with approx. 3.4 GPA. OAT scores were 350 & 360. So not ridiculously high. But then again, some schools are ranked differently for their GPAs, ex. an A may equal a 4.0 from some schools, and from others it would calculate as a 3.9, also, having a 3.4 in all science courses probably looks better than a 3.6 in psychology. So I think it's based on a bunch of stuff. At my school a 3.3 (B+) is over 80%, which makes sense since 3.3/4 is 82.5%. So yes, it does make the 75% cut off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what OAT score is good for ICO, GPA?
The average for last year was 334 for total science scores. I know someone that got in 320 oat scores for academic average and science , do you guys know anyone with that scores.
I am doing practice tests and am getting 330 in sciences but my reading scores is little lower than 300 so am getting 320. Is it good enough for ICO? I have 3.5 GPA.

Does anyone know what OAT score is good for ICO, GPA?
The average for last year was 334 for total science scores. I know someone that got in 320 oat scores for academic average and science , do you guys know anyone with that scores.
I am doing practice tests and am getting 330 in sciences but my reading scores is little lower than 300 so am getting 320. Is it good enough for ICO? I have 3.5 GPA.

What the heck ?

320>300.

I am getting 320 as my academic average and 330 for my total sciecne average. And reading am getting 260. GPA 3.5!

I am getting 320 as my academic average and 330 for my total sciecne average. And reading am getting 260. GPA 3.5!

Oh ok.

Thats a good gpa. However, most schools have minimums that you have to reach, i.e. 300.

do you think the academic average of 320 and Total science 330 and 3.5 gpa will be able to overcome the 260 reading score. I mean i have gotten A in reading and english classes.

Do you know if opto school looks at extra activites related to optom cuase i have been involved in lot of extra curricular activites.

The quick answer is: yes for the above post and heck no for the 2 posts above. SCCO requires you to definitely have above a 300. They need to know that you can read and can absorb/understand what you're reading!! Like gochi said (and from what I've read around here), if you want 'em to look at your app, you've got to have that >300 in every single subject. Good luck!!

FutOpt, do you know how to use the search function ?

Yea 260 RC score is bad

Yes I agree that 260 on RC is bad.
But you can get accepted if other parts of your application are satisfying.
I got 260 on RC and got accepted to SUNY and Waterloo.

Wow that's interesting! Guess it depends on the school, eh? I didn't know about that

it also has to do with your undergraduate college!
some college are more competitive in comparison to others, therefore the one's gpa would not seem so high even though he or she may have worked harder.
so the admission committee takes that into account as well :)

Hi all! I couldn't figure out how to create a new thread on here so I'm sorry about the unrelated topic, however I really need some help. I am from Canada and have been accepted at both Waterloo and Pacific University. I have thought about it long and hard (for two months) and just can't make up my mind of where to go. There are lots of pros and cons ie clinical experience, cost, environment etc etc. ANY advice or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!~ Again I'm really sorry for invading this thread!

Hi all! I couldn't figure out how to create a new thread on here so I'm sorry about the unrelated topic, however I really need some help. I am from Canada and have been accepted at both Waterloo and Pacific University. I have thought about it long and hard (for two months) and just can't make up my mind of where to go. There are lots of pros and cons ie clinical experience, cost, environment etc etc. ANY advice or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!~ Again I'm really sorry for invading this thread!

Cost is a really big pro for Waterloo......You will be saving a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (and I emphasize the $$$$) by going to Waterloo....The more money you save, the less you have to give back in loan payments :thumbup:

However....... it also really comes down to your personal likeness to the environment for both schools (i.e. which school environment did you feel more comfortable in....this is a really big component, since your spending 4 years of your life there!)......sometimes it doesn't matter how much money you save if it means you not feeling comfortable or enjoying your surrounding!.......But either way, both schools are great.....and at the end, your going to come out an eye doctor from either one.

Good luck with your choice :thumbup:

kafireworks0701
oh..wow waterloo...and SUNY..congrats..
ya my science scores are high ...and i can certainly read and write fine..i think i just had hard time with computerized reading passages...and screwed up...
and have very competitive gpa...with opto work/voluteer/research and pre-optome board member and few other clubs...so lot of extracurricular activites...only thing that wasn't good was my reading scores....
hope everything works.out..
thanks for ur feed backs..