average day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BIGA121781

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone i saw this thread in the one of the pre-med forums. for those in a pharm.d program, what is your average day like? is it like undergrad only with a bit more work or is it like study 24/7? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

as i've said before.. i think that it depends on what dsorta grades your trying to get. trying to get A;s.. it can be life consuming unless your a super bright fellow. but going for B's..you can do with a solid effort.. and as far as C's.. you can put in a minimal effort and still ge tthose.

This is my personal opinion and experience at USC. Your typical day various with the person and the school and the rotation. Some students study a lot and struggle to pass, others barely study and get straight A. Generally if you are good at memorizing and can absorb a large amount of data within a short period of time, you will do fine. Also the rotation plays a major factor. For some students who are lucky enough and have an easy rotation, meaning during their rotation, there are only few exams, like 1 to 2, then they will have an easier time. Some rotations have a lot of exams, like 4 to 5, which some students can handle that while some students can't.
Typically, the students here have 4 to 5 hours of lecture a day. Then they have to go take care of other stuff related to school work, which includes things like case study, group projects, health fairs, and club meetings. In between, u have to find time to work. Most students work on the weekends, others work a few hours a week during the weekdays. Meanwhile u have to find time to study. The students who need to study more have to work less hours, while the students who don't want or don't need to study as much, tend to work more. So as you can see, most of ur time will be filled with pharmacy related stuff, weither it be school work, studying, or pharmacy work. But once again, this varies with the student, the school they attend, and the year they attend the school.
Undergrad was a little different. In your undergrad, u will be taught from a research perspective. Like how to problem solve experiments and what the results of the experiments mean. Generally more detail but they move at a slower pace. In pharmacy school, the professors will focus on trying to teach u stuff from a clinical persective. In general, the class will move at a faster pace, highlighting the important parts and not ask every mindless detail. For example, take biochemistry. In undergrad, they might ask u the exact mechanism of action or develope some kind of experiment regarding the Kreb cycle and ask u to interpret the results. In pharmacy school, they would ask u the general stuff and then ask u what drugs block what structure in the pathway and how often would u give the drug to the patient.

Typical day:

on MWF:

Up at about 4, at school by 5, study till 8, class till 3, work from 4 to 9. If needed, go back and study till about 11 or 12, come home to a neglected fiance' :( +pity+ .

on TR: Up at 4, at school by 5, still till 8, class till about 11, work from 1-9.

Now, studying varies a little with upcoming tests etc, but you get the idea. Plus, I work about 35 hours a week which most ppl don't do. Either way you get the idea. Lots of **** to be done....