Average COMLEX score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samac

Rojo extraordinaire, gave away my tinfoil to PSV
7+ Year Member
Contest Winner!
Reaction score
This year the national average for COMLEX Level 1 is a 558. My mind is blown.

It just makes me wonder how PDs are going to look at scores for the class of 2019.
Anyone else blown away?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This year the national average for COMLEX Level 1 is a 558. My mind is blown.

It just makes me wonder how PDs are going to look at scores for the class of 2019.
Anyone else blown away?
Damn, I'm impressed. Scores will likely be adjusted down again soon, screwing the post-adjustment test takers.

Reactions: 1 user
The score report for my 2016 exam said “The mean of the 3-digit standard score for computer-based examinations has historically been in the 500 - 550 range.”

It then said the mean was approximately 520 with a SD of 85. Do you have the SD for this year?

This year's mean is slightly higher than the “historical range”, but I don’t think it will effect people too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
The score report for my 2016 exam said “The mean of the 3-digit standard score for computer-based examinations has historically been in the 500 - 550 range.”

It then said the mean was approximately 520 with a SD of 85. Do you have the SD for this year?

This year's mean is slightly higher than the “historical range”, but I don’t think it will effect people too much.
My school didn’t provide us with the SD for the national average, just the national average.

I was surprised that the mean went up 20 points though. Seems pretty significant.

Where did you see this?? Is it on their official page?

My school didn’t provide us with the SD for the national average, just the national average.

I was surprised that the mean went up 20 points though. Seems pretty significant.

The "historical range", at least as far as what NBOME has online is 490-530 (prior to this year), and only one year I believe (once again prior to this year) did the average crack 520. So this year's average is more on the order of 40 points higher than previous years. Currently sits at 558.10 with a SD of 94.42.

The "historical range", at least as far as what NBOME has online is 490-530 (prior to this year), and only one year I believe (once again prior to this year) did the average crack 520. So this year's average is more on the order of 40 points higher than previous years. Currently sits at 558.10 with a SD of 94.42.
The SD is really that high?!

Damn, I'm impressed. Scores will likely be adjusted down again soon, screwing the post-adjustment test takers.
Oh good... with any luck it'll be just in time for this summer

Yeah, they readjust it every few years back down to an average of 540 iirc. You'll be due soon!
This usually happens after the group that 'gets adjusted' takes it, right?

Such a useless goddang exam.

Screw you NBOME.

SCREW YOU!!!

Reactions: 4 users
**** (you can interpret those 4 asterisks how you like)

Members don't see this ad :)
My schools average was higher than national, but we did cut close to 20 % of our class from taking it, i presume other schools did something similar

Yeah, they readjust it every few years back down to an average of 540 iirc. You'll be due soon!
Whatever no one cares about comlex anyway
My schools average was higher than national, but we did cut close to 20 % of our class from taking it, i presume other schools did something similar
Wait what? Are they being held back, as in 20% attrition? Cuz that's shady af

It's common for schools to delay their weakest students (based on practice exam scores) in taking the COMLEX (which is why the earliest numbers are always higher), but I have never heard of a school flat out not letting 20% of the class take it at all. Surely you mean they took it a bit later? At this point the only students that should be left to take the exam for the first time had some extenuating circumstances, and I can't imagine that is more than a "handful" relative to those who have taken it (meaning the average is not going to move much if at all).

If they didn't let them take the exam by now, they are going to graduate a year late (which would count as "attrition"), unless your school allows people to go on rotations before sitting for COMLEX Level 1.

While apparently they do adjust it every three years, its definitely not "down to an average of 540" since prior to this year its never been close to 540. here is the data:

Year Average SD
06-07 489.94 88.47
07-08 499.80 89.99
08-09 496.97 89.64
09-10 501.94 89.64
10-11 493.27 87.59
11-12 515.33 91.84
12-13 512.97 90.57
13-14 516.97 92.03
14-15 529.08 93.86
15-16 514.98 92.28
16-17 519.52 92.68
17-18 558.10 94.42 (as of now, number may move slightly by April 30, which is the end of the NBOME calendar year)

These numbers are why I keep telling students you need to subtract 40-50 points from your score to see how you compare to years past. It is also why you can't use one of the NBOME calculators to see where you rank % wise using past years data.

While apparently they do adjust it every three years, its definitely not "down to an average of 540" since prior to this year its never been close to 540. here is the data:

Year Average SD
06-07 489.94 88.47
07-08 499.80 89.99
08-09 496.97 89.64
09-10 501.94 89.64
10-11 493.27 87.59
11-12 515.33 91.84
12-13 512.97 90.57
13-14 516.97 92.03
14-15 529.08 93.86
15-16 514.98 92.28
16-17 519.52 92.68
17-18 558.10 94.42 (as of now, number may move slightly by April 30, which is the end of the NBOME calendar year)

These numbers are why I keep telling students you need to subtract 40-50 points from your score to see how you compare to years past. It is also why you can't use one of the NBOME calculators to see where you rank % wise using past years data.
wow....And here I thought I did well with a 611....better hustle on the USMLE or I'm gonna rural family med in Wyoming

Year Average SD
06-07 489.94 88.47
07-08 499.80 89.99
08-09 496.97 89.64
09-10 501.94 89.64
10-11 493.27 87.59
11-12 515.33 91.84
12-13 512.97 90.57
13-14 516.97 92.03
14-15 529.08 93.86
15-16 514.98 92.28
16-17 519.52 92.68

Yeah exactly. Not sure where people keep pulling these magic "The average was 530/540/550 in the past" in every thread about the new average this year. Level 1 has historically been around 515-520. This jump to 560ish is detrimental to some students and I very much doubt schools are letting their students know about this. Mine sure didn't.

It's common for schools to delay their weakest students (based on practice exam scores) in taking the COMLEX (which is why the earliest numbers are always higher), but I have never heard of a school flat out not letting 20% of the class take it at all. Surely you mean they took it a bit later? At this point the only students that should be left to take the exam for the first time had some extenuating circumstances, and I can't imagine that is more than a "handful" relative to those who have taken it (meaning the average is not going to move much if at all).

If they didn't let them take the exam by now, they are going to graduate a year late (which would count as "attrition"), unless your school allows people to go on rotations before sitting for COMLEX Level 1.
no my school legit did not allow them to take comlex, some had to take it 6 months later , some had to repeat the year

no my school legit did not allow them to take comlex, some had to take it 6 months later , some had to repeat the year
same here, most of those who did not make the COMSAE got delayed 3 months, and if they still can't pass COMSAE, they have to start their rotation late and loose on elective months.

for the ones who took 6 months later, did they start 3rd year at all? or just study 100% during that time?

same here, most of those who did not make the COMSAE got delayed 3 months, and if they still can't pass COMSAE, they have to start their rotation late and loose on elective months.

Am I misunderstanding this, or is this not a good thing for those of us taking it soon? Wont our scores will look good compared to usual (aka a 520 student now has a 550 score)?

Am I misunderstanding this, or is this not a good thing for those of us taking it soon? Wont our scores will look good compared to usual (aka a 520 student now has a 550 score)?
I’m wondering if it will be looked that way, or will a 520 student now be looked at like a 490 because they know the average is so high.

I’m wondering if it will be looked that way, or will a 520 student now be looked at like a 490 because they know the average is so high.
I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I’ve spoken with AOA program directors for competitive specialities and they really don’t seem to give a damn.

From what I’ve gathered, they appear to view scores/students as below 500, 500-550, 550-600 and 600+ (with an average of 520).

Last edited:
I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I’ve spoken with AOA program directors for competitive specialities and they really don’t seem to give a damn.

From what I’ve gathered, they appear to view scores/students as below 500, 500-550, 550-600 and 600+ (with an average of 520).

This would be good. Seems like AOA programs place WAY more emphasis on audition rotations than ACGME programs do. Maybe COMLEX scores are more of a "door-opener" score and then prove yourself kinda thing, whereas ACGME is more like, oh you have a 300 USMLE, you're in without even auditioning.

I wonder if next year the average will go back down to 520ish...

for the ones who took 6 months later, did they start 3rd year at all? or just study 100% during that time?

they all are now in the class of 2020. which sucks cuz that mean they have an extra year to wait around and try to match even though they are done with rotation cuz they started 3 or 6 months late

does this mean those of us taking it this summer will be subjected to some revamped exam in order to bring the avg back down? i cant remember when they are "rolling out" the new one. man i hope its not this summer!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 gets destroyed on COMLEX because of this.

I would think it's an advantage - despite being an unfair advantage. Because seriously, who would know that everybody scored 40 pts higher this year? Plus bigger # is always better ;)

porque? is this the summer they are introducing the new exam or just your personal take on the matter?
Those numbers up there seem to have a very obvious pattern. 2017 was an up year, 2018 will be a correction year. C/o 2020 got screwed big time, new MCAT, no AOA match, and comlex on a correction year. It's the ultimate crap sandwich! Don't get upset though, let me ease your nerves with a quote.

"Well his USMLE is good, but how was his COMLEX?"
- no PD ever

Reactions: 12 users
I mean, technically your score only matters if you’re comparing it to other applicants applying for the same thing.

Many people have said, programs won’t change their cutoffs, etc. however, when people are rollin in with scores 40 points higher, your even if your score is over that 600 cutoff, it’s not as high relative to the other applicants.

I mean, technically your score only matters if you’re comparing it to other applicants applying for the same thing.

Many people have said, programs won’t change their cutoffs, etc. however, when people are rollin in with scores 40 points higher, your even if your score is over that 600 cutoff, it’s not as high relative to the other applicants.

True, but if you are applying to mostly University ACGME programs with fewer DO applicants, they may just assume that this class of applicants is better than usual.

Although, this also assumes that the give a **** about your COMLEX score at all.

got ya :( i was looking at combank recently (havent bought it yet) and they were taking about new questions to simulate the new comlex so i didnt know if that was for my class or what.

ya well lets just hope we dont get shellacked by nbmes leading up to it. :(
Do the work and you'll be fine

True, but if you are applying to mostly University ACGME programs with fewer DO applicants, they may just assume that this class of applicants is better than usual.

Although, this also assumes that the give a **** about your COMLEX score at all.

True. I guess I am talking towards people applying AOA.

just to fear monger here a little bit... AOA is essentially dead. Most spots will be ACGME or choose not to get accredited . now as a student that makes me worried to match in to the non accredited place. So comlex for the old AOA programs that have been accredited and Usmle for MD programs. Watch out for pds in the very near future moving toward Step as comparison across all applicants. may not be next year, but in 5 years i think all pds will compare people by step score when it comes to filtering in ERAS

they all are now in the class of 2020. which sucks cuz that mean they have an extra year to wait around and try to match even though they are done with rotation cuz they started 3 or 6 months late

3 months late and you can still get your rotations done before the residency start (so could remain in the original class), 6 months maybe not, its close. So your saying your school moved 20% of the class into the following year? To my knowledge, from doing COCA site visit things, any student who doesn't graduate with their original class (except I believe for fellowships) counts as attrition, even if they go on to graduate. So that's 20% attrition right there, plus whoever else they lost along the way (every school loses some people). Is this a new policy? It would be hard to believe such high attrition wouldn't get on COCA's radar. I also found it interesting that they would have a policy that allows them to make a student "repeat" an entire year (presumably a year of board prep?) even though they have passed all their classes but didn't do well enough on a test exam.

3 months late and you can still get your rotations done before the residency start (so could remain in the original class), 6 months maybe not, its close. So your saying your school moved 20% of the class into the following year? To my knowledge, from doing COCA site visit things, any student who doesn't graduate with their original class (except I believe for fellowships) counts as attrition, even if they go on to graduate. So that's 20% attrition right there, plus whoever else they lost along the way (every school loses some people). Is this a new policy? It would be hard to believe such high attrition wouldn't get on COCA's radar. I also found it interesting that they would have a policy that allows them to make a student "repeat" an entire year (presumably a year of board prep?) even though they have passed all their classes but didn't do well enough on a test exam.
So even students who take a LOA for nonacademic reason (like a medical leave) would still be considered attrition?

So even students who take a LOA for nonacademic reason (like a medical leave) would still be considered attrition?

That's my understanding, but I don't have the documentation in front of me so I could be wrong. I do remember there were cases that were counted against us as far as "attrition" that didn't make sense to me. There are also students who leave and never return for medical or other reasons who were in good academic standing. I guess it is just easier to look at the incoming number and then ask how many graduated 4 years later, although it can be misleading.

That's my understanding, but I don't have the documentation in front of me so I could be wrong. I do remember there were cases that were counted against us as far as "attrition" that didn't make sense to me. There are also students who leave and never return for medical or other reasons who were in good academic standing. I guess it is just easier to look at the incoming number and then ask how many graduated 4 years later, although it can be misleading.

so heres whats happening. our school started making comsaes mandatory . we had to hit a certain threshold, and if we dont pass it we get a second chance at it in a month or so. for some people they would pass the second time but some wont. for those who dont they were recommended to take a year or take the exam and roll the dice knowing that they could fail in the middle of clerkship and have to stop clerkship to take the level 1 comlex. another option that was offered was a delayed start , depending on the student it could be 6 months or 3 months off. our school only allows for a total 12 weeks off. so that mean you could not **** up at all, no x mas break or anything like that . a majority of people choose to take the year , some tried to come back but because they were so late in the game are now in class of 2020. A small minority took the repeat second year option. none that i know decided to roll the dice and take the test anyways

so heres whats happening. our school started making comsaes mandatory . we had to hit a certain threshold, and if we dont pass it we get a second chance at it in a month or so. for some people they would pass the second time but some wont. for those who dont they were recommended to take a year or take the exam and roll the dice knowing that they could fail in the middle of clerkship and have to stop clerkship to take the level 1 comlex. another option that was offered was a delayed start , depending on the student it could be 6 months or 3 months off. our school only allows for a total 12 weeks off. so that mean you could not **** up at all, no x mas break or anything like that . a majority of people choose to take the year , some tried to come back but because they were so late in the game are now in class of 2020. A small minority took the repeat second year option. none that i know decided to roll the dice and take the test anyways

Ah that makes more sense. I was wondering how they could legally FORCE a student to delay a year if they had passed all classes but "failed" a preliminary "practice" exam that has unfortunately proven to be a relatively poor predictor of Level I performance. I suppose you could have this in your student handbook or something, but since the COMSAE's are not the real deal, it would seem hard to enforce. BTW, the schools whose policies I am aware of do something similar, but its usually only a delay that would not set them back so far they would have to move to the following year's class (ie around 3 months). I would think 3 EXTRA months of dedicated should be enough for anyone.

Ah that makes more sense. I was wondering how they could legally FORCE a student to delay a year if they had passed all classes but "failed" a preliminary "practice" exam that has unfortunately proven to be a relatively poor predictor of Level I performance. I suppose you could have this in your student handbook or something, but since the COMSAE's are not the real deal, it would seem hard to enforce. BTW, the schools whose policies I am aware of do something similar, but its usually only a delay that would not set them back so far they would have to move to the following year's class (ie around 3 months). I would think 3 EXTRA months of dedicated should be enough for anyone.
i honestly believe anything more than 3 months is over kill. you wont retain anything. now in these three months you should be putting in at least 6 if not 12 hours a day

That is my understanding as well.

i honestly believe anything more than 3 months is over kill. you wont retain anything. now in these three months you should be putting in at least 6 if not 12 hours a day

In all honesty, anything more than 2 months (of additional time) is overkill. Most people burnout around 6-8 wks of dedicated anyways.

That is my understanding as well.

In all honesty, anything more than 2 months (of additional time) is overkill. Most people burnout around 6-8 wks of dedicated anyways.
If students repeating years and taking LOA counts, then many schools have 'attrition rates' much closer to 20%. Especially the newer schools (meaning opening within the last 20 years). There is no way they are at 8-10%, if you are counting getting held back a year as attrition.

If students repeating years and taking LOA counts, then many schools have 'attrition rates' much closer to 20%. Especially the newer schools (meaning opening within the last 20 years). There is no way they are at 8-10%, if you are counting getting held back a year as attrition.

You have to look at 4-yr attrition vs 6-year. Annual attrition vs. total/absolute. It depends on what you are trying to measure. Specific class attrition will include anyone who doesn't finish in 4 years, whereas absolute will only be those that don't finish at all (i.e. those that don't finish in 6 yrs). That 8-10% is the absolute attrition, meaning that 90-92% graduate in 6yrs.

You have to look at 4-yr attrition vs 6-year. Annual attrition vs. total/absolute. It depends on what you are trying to measure. Specific class attrition will include anyone who doesn't finish in 4 years, whereas absolute will only be those that don't finish at all (i.e. those that don't finish in 6 yrs). That 8-10% is the absolute attrition, meaning that 90-92% graduate in 6yrs.
As long as we are talking about 6 year absolute attrition, then I agree than 8-10% is correct. I just find it silly to compare annual attrition, even tho it sucks for the students who get delayed, getting slowed down is way different than getting kicked out.

Did students get higher scores on the COMLEX, or did schools withhold more weaker students from taking it? 20% of a class seems like far too many to hold back. That's 20% of students who presumably did everything right up to that point.

Is the "readjustment" speculation or is the any evidence the NBOME will do this?

Did students get higher scores on the COMLEX, or did schools withhold more weaker students from taking it? 20% of a class seems like far too many to hold back. That's 20% of students who presumably did everything right up to that point.

Is the "readjustment" speculation or is the any evidence the NBOME will do this?
take it with a grain of salt . this is N=1. im sure other schools have done something similar to preserve first time pass rates. also remember that this only happened at my school. The students that fell in this 20% that i knew where weak students, bottom of the class, barely passing , had to remediate classes or already had remediated a year