Average age of new attendings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phyeng11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone out there tell me the average age of a new orthopaedic surgeon after a fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks a lot. I'm slightly non-traditional. I start med school this year. I do have some experience in the hospital, and I think ortho is for me. I sometimes worry that my age will be a problem. I know I'm paranoid. If all goes well, I'll be 37 after the fellowship. I'm going into school with an open mind, but planning ahead does help those get the more competitive residencies. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks pedibonedoc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh, I'll be 41 after my fellowship. Now THAT's non-traditional! I worry sometimes too if I'll be able to handle it, but I have no doubt I will, I've done it already as a PA working for a busy Orthopod, I think it's just maintaining that attitude and determination more than anything.

Oh and Pedibonedoc's blog is a wonderful read and great asset for us to get a glimpse into what orthopedic training is truly like. Thanks for that resource, I read every post!

Heh, I'll be 41 after my fellowship. Now THAT's non-traditional! I worry sometimes too if I'll be able to handle it, but I have no doubt I will, I've done it already as a PA working for a busy Orthopod, I think it's just maintaining that attitude and determination more than anything.

Oh and Pedibonedoc's blog is a wonderful read and great asset for us to get a glimpse into what orthopedic training is truly like. Thanks for that resource, I read every post!

soundman,
one thing is for sure. you have the necessary organizational, passive aggressive thing down. i love it.

i guess i shouldn't be complaining. i know there's always someone older, younger, better, or even worse. it's a difficult transition from being one of the youngest to being one of the oldest. i too had a career prior to medicine in engineering. i wouldn't change it for the world.

ROCK ON NON-TRADS!

Dont worry about your age, if you have the work ethic. Ortho is tough, and residency is tiring, but tons of fun. Its all about attitude and desire. I'll be 38, going into general ortho when I finish in 1 year, and love every minute of it.
There are a bunch of non-traditional" residents in ortho.

soundman,
one thing is for sure. you have the necessary organizational, passive aggressive thing down. i love it.

i guess i shouldn't be complaining. i know there's always someone older, younger, better, or even worse. it's a difficult transition from being one of the youngest to being one of the oldest. i too had a career prior to medicine in engineering. i wouldn't change it for the world.

ROCK ON NON-TRADS!

Thanks so much, that totally made my day.