August MCAT too late? Or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to osteopathic schools with a cGPA 3.71 and sGPA of 3.6 (no retakes). Scored AAMC exam: 126/122/128/130...so I obviously don't feel ready at all. Was going to take the 8/5/16 exam, but now I'm thinking about the 8/19/16 exam. How late would this make me in the application cycle? Would it be possible to even get interviews? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to osteopathic schools with a cGPA 3.71 and sGPA of 3.6 (no retakes). Scored AAMC exam: 126/122/128/130...so I obviously don't feel ready at all. Was going to take the 8/5/16 exam, but now I'm thinking about the 8/19/16 exam. How late would this make me in the application cycle? Would it be possible to even get interviews? Thank you.

You can net interviews with the current mcat practice score (if you get above a 500). A 14 day difference isnt going to bring your 122 much higher than a point. Will it all make a difference in the grand scheme of things? NO. August is early. I'd say take a couple more practice tests, see where you are at.

NEVER rely your preparation on a single practice exam. With your GPA and a >500 MCAT you will likely get a few interviews. That said, some schools do screen for >124 subsection (i.e. LECOM).

Not too late, but look at submitting to a throw-away school so you don't have to wait another month plus until your app is validated. Submitting in Sept and even Oct is on time if you do decent on the MCAT. A 502+ would likely get some attention but a 504-507+ would likely get you a lot with your gpa. Also get a DO LOR if you haven't.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You can net interviews with the current mcat practice score (if you get above a 500). A 14 day difference isnt going to bring your 122 much higher than a point. Will it all make a difference in the grand scheme of things? NO. August is early. I'd say take a couple more practice tests, see where you are at.

NEVER rely your preparation on a single practice exam. With your GPA and a >500 MCAT you will likely get a few interviews. That said, some schools do screen for >124 subsection (i.e. LECOM).

Thanks for letting me know! I haven't done that many practice tests, maybe around 4 or 5.

Not too late, but look at submitting to a throw-away school so you don't have to wait another month plus until your app is validated. Submitting in Sept and even Oct is on time if you do decent on the MCAT. A 502+ would likely get some attention but a 504-507+ would likely get you a lot with your gpa. Also get a DO LOR if you haven't.

Good Luck

Ok, thanks! I don't have a DO LOR, unfortunately. I do scribe with DOs though. I have a letter from a physician that I did research with, but she is considered an MBBS. That is the equivalent of an MD degree, correct?

Decidedly NOT too late!!!

Thanks for letting me know, Goro! If I was complete toward the end of September, and selected for an interview, would I be looking at a January interview date? I'm just curious.

Ok, thanks! I don't have a DO LOR, unfortunately. I do scribe with DOs though. I have a letter from a physician that I did research with, but she is considered an MBBS. That is the equivalent of an MD degree, correct?
If you scribe for a DO get a lor. It will be worth it!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for letting me know, Goro! If I was complete toward the end of September, and selected for an interview, would I be looking at a January interview date? I'm just curious.

It depends on how much the school likes your application.

If your application is awesome, you could get a II within hours of submitting your secondary or you could be waiting a couple of months. The earlier you are selected for an interview, the earlier your interview dates will be.

If selected for an interview and you're complete end of Sept, the odds are good it will be between Oct and April/May. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

The bigger question is: If you'll be selected for an interview???? One can't assume as even those with good scores are not always selected for various reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on how much the school likes your application.

If your application is awesome, you could get a II within hours of submitting your secondary or you could be waiting a couple of months. The earlier you are selected for an interview, the earlier your interview dates will be.

Ah I see, I'll just have to wait and see how the cycle turns out. I hope my ecs and letters are ok!

If selected for an interview and you're complete end of Sept, the odds are good it will be between Oct and April/May. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

The bigger question is: If you'll be selected for an interview???? One can't assume as even those with good scores are not always selected for various reasons.

Yeah, I understand nothing is ever guaranteed, so that's why I said "if." I was just trying to understand where in the application cycle I would be if I was fortunate enough to receive an interview.