AUC VS ROSS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which of these two should I attend?

• Ross

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • AUC

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

JVupdate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings again,

So I would like to start a discussion (new one) regarding AUC and Ross. There are plenty of old postings, but Im trying to use new information to come to a decision as to which of these schools I should attend. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings again,

So I would like to start a discussion (new one) regarding AUC and Ross. There are plenty of old postings, but Im trying to use new information to come to a decision as to which of these schools I should attend. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

From what I understand, Ross seems to have the higher attrition rate because they have the lowest standards and take the most students. But I believe its also the cheapest option and they have very large class sizes with 3x a year entry. I believe they have a better match list than AUC/more established (I could be wrong).

AUC is on the most developed island, so you'll have the most creature comforts and probably a more direct flight. That could pose more distractions though, i.e. clubs and cruise ships docking during the week, lots of partiers and tourists on Saint Maarten, more things to do besides study. Has smaller class sizes. But I'm assuming more expensive.

A friend of mine chose Ross over the other big 4 because they allow you to finish on Island in 16 months as part of their accelerated track. You can do 5th semester in the U.S. or something like that. As far as I know the other schools don't allow that. So if you think you're gonna do really well then that might be important to you. It was the most important factor for him because he had a fiancé back home that he wanted to get back to as quickly as possible and Ross gave him that opportunity.

Bear in mind that I haven't attended either school so I'm just going off of what I've heard from friends at both schools or on here.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no difference in terms of quality of education or residency prospects following graduation. The main difference will come from daily life on each individual island. Read about St. Martin and Dominica and then choose which one sounds better to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The things/options change over time. As of 2006 in my, as a parent, offering to advise my oldest son I recommended SMU. The main reasons the closest to USA, like being in Miami Beach, at that time good education and match rates. But as of today's atmosphere I would exhaust ALL options to stay in lowest tier MD or DO USA schools. But if had to go Caribbean route would decide upon best ones to gain match!!!! Either SGU or AUC> ROSS,SABA,AUA,MUC. If the $$ are not issue and the location non issue than SGU. If location important for 18 months to 2 years than AUC only choice... Good Luck in this uphill climb....

Any update on ROSS vs AUC for January 2019?

I would choose AUC for the following reasons:
  • better island, more direct flights
  • smaller class size, you actually know your classmates
  • if you fail a class you can repeat that class only without retaking every class that semester (ross may have changed this, idk)
  • if you fail the "comp", you can take the physiology and pathology NBME shelf instead to be eligible for the step1
  • all the professors know English and teach their subject well, and are available for office hours
  • the final exam is divided into 3 days for 3 courses, with each exam being 1-2 hours. Ross has a massive final at the end of the semester
  • nearly everyone gets the first generation md scholarship (if you are a first generation md, of course) which is a 50k off your tuition
  • off-campus housing is a 3 min walk from campus
  • you can get amazon packages through a cargo service and pick them up at the school library

Reactions: 1 users