AUC later or SMU now!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think Caribbean medical school students are affected by a certain inferiority complex. We would all like to believe that the Caribbean stigma does not apply to those students who attend SGU, Ross, AUC, or SABA. With SMU making its presence felt in the last few years, the so called top 4 is now known as the top 5. Therefore, SMU students would also like to be part of the elite US and Canadian rejects granted another shot at fulfilling a dream.

To say that student X went to SMU because he or she couldn’t get into SABA, or student Y went to SABA because he or she was rejected from SGU is simply a matter of opinion, and can only be factually established on person to person basis. Whatever the ranking system maybe, or one’s opinion in relation to any of these schools, the Caribbean stigma is equally shared, always was, and always will be.

Furthermore, the anomaly of a student with a 3.5 GPA and 30+ MCAT attending SABA or any other Caribbean medical school, is exactly that, only an anomaly. But I dare not say this disparagingly, because I believe that the Caribbean school market, or at least those schools with a foundation of legitimacy fulfill a very important niche. The ability to refine a student who may have once been considered average on paper or to simply discover the “diamond in the rough” is not only a demonstration of the American dream in practice, but is also a testament to the quality of students and education that are found at some of the universities in the Caribbean in the first place.

Members don't see this ad.

So far, I am losing the competition. I have not scored well in my classes, many students have outscored me in my classes so far. So, I am behind in the game. But, the game is just beginning. I have only done 4 semesters so far. I have years and years ahead of me.

I said it: my step scores, my clinical rotation work, my residency work and my practice. We can keep score any way you folks want. :)
thats great that you have such a positive attitude...but why have you not gotten straight A's in all your classes so far if you are the smartest med student in the world as you continually claim to be in several threads?

.....the game is just beginning. I have only done 4 semesters so far. I have years and years ahead of me......:)

Given enough time even evolution was made possible, but the reality of life is that at some point you have to stop taking and start giving. Either you are the best, or you are not, there is no gray area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Caribbean medical school students are affected by a certain inferiority complex. We would all like to believe that the Caribbean stigma does not apply to those students who attend SGU, Ross, AUC, or SABA. With SMU making its presence felt in the last few years, the so called top 4 is now known as the top 5. Therefore, SMU students would also like to be part of the elite US and Canadian rejects granted another shot at fulfilling a dream.

To say that student X went to SMU because he or she couldn't get into SABA, or student Y went to SABA because he or she was rejected from SGU is simply a matter of opinion, and can only be factually established on person to person basis. Whatever the ranking system maybe, or one's opinion in relation to any of these schools, the Caribbean stigma is equally shared, always was, and always will be.

Furthermore, the anomaly of a student with a 3.5 GPA and 30+ MCAT attending SABA or any other Caribbean medical school, is exactly that, only an anomaly. But I dare not say this disparagingly, because I believe that the Caribbean school market, or at least those schools with a foundation of legitimacy fulfill a very important niche. The ability to refine a student who may have once been considered average on paper or to simply discover the "diamond in the rough" is not only a demonstration of the American dream in practice, but is also a testament to the quality of students and education that are found at some of the universities in the Caribbean in the first place.

If anything its the US students that have the complex but I can understand that. It's going to be a few years before everyone becomes aware of how good some of these schools are. With Saba, the secret is already out and they can't put the genie back in the bottle as much as some people would like to try (like the AAMC paid lobbist's to have congress remove Carib schools from federal loans and got it passed. Thank you). Oh as far as the stigma I could care less, I can't remember the last time I asked a physician what school he went to. :idea: Should I ask? Would it matter? How many foreign trained doctors are out there? If I got educated in Italy would there be a stigma too? How about Ireland? Good questions.

25% of MDs are FMGs.

Something like 40%+ are in Internal Medicine (FP too?)

From what I read.

To say that student X went to SMU because he or she couldn’t get into SABA, or student Y went to SABA because he or she was rejected from SGU is simply a matter of opinion, and can only be factually established on person to person basis. Whatever the ranking system maybe, or one’s opinion in relation to any of these schools, the Caribbean stigma is equally shared, always was, and always will be.

Furthermore, the anomaly of a student with a 3.5 GPA and 30+ MCAT attending SABA or any other Caribbean medical school, is exactly that, only an anomaly. But I dare not say this disparagingly, because I believe that the Caribbean school market, or at least those schools with a foundation of legitimacy fulfill a very important niche. The ability to refine a student who may have once been considered average on paper or to simply discover the “diamond in the rough” is not only a demonstration of the American dream in practice, but is also a testament to the quality of students and education that are found at some of the universities in the Caribbean in the first place.

I believe there is a lot of truth in your statement. After all given the oportunity between US and Carrib. schools every swinging one would take the mainland route. I believe there is a "Damn I wish I made it" feeling at every single one student in various degrees, and to some that is motivation to work harder as in searching for a compensatory way to even ground.
However I do believe thought offshore students may feel institutions provide lesser oportunities and realise the well known stigma, the students themselves are not different than the ones attending in the US schools. Excluding the phenomenal ones who have made a mark since they learned how to walk, and the bad apples that are in it for all the wrong reasons (regardless of what they scream and boast in this forum or others) the rest of US and Carrib and other Foreign-to-US schools in the world are people that have a passion and a dream and are trying to find the way to make it.

There is not one way to any achievement - and some are easier and some are more complicated and some are down right insanity... but the glory goes to those who make it and even more so to the ones that had to scratch and pull and claw all the way up. After all is like steel - the more you heat it up and cool it down and harder you beat it, the stronger and true it becomes.
Stigmas will creep up from ignorance and vain - be that color, sex, size, and the school name on your diploma, but everyone has to remember that Hipocrates didn't graduate from any medical school - and yet we recite his words in hope of applying those principles for the rest of our days.

We all know that US schools cannot acomodate every worthy applicant - and to those that have attended US schools or are currently in, I ask to take a moment, look in the ceiling and remember all the characters that were in your classes and you always wondered how the admissions could have sent them an acceptance letter... I know I can and you can too I'm sure. Rejects, drop-outs, FMGs and US cronies, whatever colorful bashing that oozes from narrow minds and stressed out lives, whatever malicious comments made to make the author feel on higher level or advanced evolutionary class, are proof of lack of tolerance, inability to understand, and unwillingness to accept something outside of each and every microworld of ours. It shows immaturity and lack of professionalism, demonstrates flaws of character - if undermines what it truly means to be a physician instead of that person with a white coat that writes prescriptions and collects a paycheck while flashing MD after his name!

We're all in this together, and we can't even dream of helping the sick and the needy, if we can't accept and assist each-other. To all you my fellow students, my colleagues - I ask that we become constructive and grow as individuals, be proud of our battles together and hopefully celebrate victory together. Let the change start with each and every one of us.
Peace

.....like the AAMC paid lobbist's to have congress remove Carib schools from federal loans and got it passed....

In my opinion anything that deters one's opportunity for an education should be deemed unconstitutional. But thank God for the private loan programs that disregard politics or beuracracy.

well .... i am not on crack SABAMED and Stop saying all these bad comments ...just cause U probably go to SABA ...i just want to let u know that some doctors dont even know where that school is ...so SHUT IT..... in all these schools you have to study urself and its all up to you ....if people dont want to study OF COURSE they cant pass Boards ..... SMU is a pretty good school ...maybe after a couple of years it will be a competitive as SGU who knows ....

Why do people even dignify sb turner's comments with a reply?

He went to St. James, which is the first sign of mental instability. He then jumped ship to a school even less established if that's possible. Then he started at his third med school, st matthews, and ranted and raved about how great it is. As a student of smu, i can tell you it was a sad day when this guy started posting on vmd as a student of our school, it def cost us some credibility and was not deserved.

Then about a year ago, SMU instituted strict policies regarding shelf exams and how they would be incorporated. Delusional narcissists like mr. turner realized their pipe dream was drawing to a close, and he turned on the school for actually instituting policies worthy of a med school. As he always does, rather than look in the mirror and analyze his own shortcomings and deficiencies such as why he is unable to pass courses that have a minimum shelf exam proficiency attached to them, he bashes the school.

Seriously, SB, please just leave now and go somewhere, anywhere else. You are a disgrace to SMU and you always were. You are like many students who cheated in various ways and used old tests and then are outraged when they are expected to perform at a minimal level (very minimal) on the shelf exam. Those same students are now spreading lies and slander that SMU is an empty shell that doesn't prepare students for the boards.

Let's be clear: no matter what school you go to, if you spend your time circumventing the process and taking shortcuts, you will not pass step 1. period.

I really liked that quote regarding humility that someone posted. It's sad and embarassing to read the nonsensical, baseless of hyperbole of someone who has not to this day demonstrated one iota of competency for medicine. But it's always coming, always tomorrow or the next day, around the next corner. Turner could not gain admission to a u.s. school, or the big three, and he can't even hold his own at SMU, which he claims is garbage. Exactly what does that make him? Despite all this, this loser has no problem bragging endlessly with ZERO basis for it.

Dont worry SMU hasnt lost its cred w/ me.
I dont think(?) most people are that silly.

He went to St. James, which is the first sign of mental instability. .....................

Now its my turn, SJSM has the same accreditation group ACCM just look on the SMU web site it posted there several times, It is a Legit school, WHy dis a school you know little about except trolls on the internet, people trying to discredit a good school so they can steer students to other schools, I know this goes on cause they have been caught several times doing it!

Say what you will but leave a school out of it, SJSM is not unapproved by any state in the USA, other schools have been put on unapproval lists by the states so do not throw stones at glass houses. I was ripped a new one for posting any facts about SMU now you come one here and post crap about SJSM. ST. James is a good school and keeps getting better. I have decided to refrain from making any further comments about SMU so don't start a war (yeah I'm studying for exams and see this trash started tics me off some)

Good Day.

I did do well my first semester, but I made a huge mistake. At that time, I did not realize that SMU was a waste of time. This will be proven after I take step 1. Most, if not all, of the SMU students who study SMU's material will probably fail or barely pass step 1. Because of the great Dr. Francis and the PASS Program, I will score at least a 270 on step 1!!! Why waste time studying for a class at SMU, when it is not going to help you on step 1? Yes, studying SMU's material will get you failed on step 1, in my opinion. Why do you think SMU contacted Dr. Francis and now has the craplan program?

I cheated? No. My classmates in Maine? Yes. I failed out of SMU? No. I passed all of my classes in the 1, 2 and 3 semesters. While in 4 semester in Maine, I withdrew from path and pharm, passed PD 4, and failed genetics. Although, I probably would not have failed if I had taken the first test, which I was offered, the night before the exam and studied for an hour or so. I did not cheat to pass any of my classes. Now, you are saying I am a failure, and I should go away. That is never going to happen. I am going to be a better doctor than you, and I will prove it. You say I should not post, who are you? No one. You are no one to me. I can outscore you on step 1 all day long. You are nothing compared to me when it comes to medicine. Prove me wrong. All you have to do is post your step scores publically. Post them publically like I am going to do. It is the same old story, folks just like you come on here, and say I do not belong. Yet, you do not take the challenge when it is put in your face. I am telling you that I am going to outscore you on step 1, 2 and 3. Then I will outperform you in clinicals, residency and in practice. Let's compete. I will prove I am #1!!!!!!!! I am #1!!!! SMU sucks! I will outscore you on any of the step scores!

Let me add this. I have posted exactly what I have done and what I am going to do. I do not cheat. I get my craplan scores fairly. I have not seen the questions before I take their test. I post my craplan scores as I get them. They are standard questions for step 1, and everyone knows they reflect the step scores pretty well. Why haven't you posted your average kaplan scores?

If 300 is possible, I definitely will. But, according to Dr. Francis, a 270 is the max. Now, I have heard some people have gotten a 300 or so. I will believe it when I see it. Prove it to me in writing. Then I will believe it. I have to say, in the past with USMLE, they may have scored differently than they do now. I do not know the official scoring yet. But, it is something I will have to call and ask them about. Whatever a perfect score is on their test, I will get it!!! I feel it is doable with Dr. Francis and the PASS Program. The highest score out of his program is a 267! I study nothing but the PASS Program. Nothing else. I have not and will never study anything else; the PASS Program is all I need. I have absolutely no doubt of that. I have not and will never study Goljan, craplan, first aid, step up, robbins, guyton, or anything else. In fact, after learning about the PASS Program, I stopped studying for my classes. The PASS Program is ALL I study. I absolutely love it!!! I just study my classes enough to pass them, and then I immediately forget that material. This way I do not ruin what I have learned with the PASS Program. I hope others will come to the PASS Program too, and I hope they get a perfect score too.

As of today, the lady I spoke with at USMLE tells me that the max score possible is a 300. I understood the max score to be a 270. According to the lady at USMLE, she has never seen or heard of a 300. If 300 is indeed the max score, then I will be the first person to ever get a 300! So, to answer your question of will I get a 300, the answer is absolutely YES!!! I will get a 300 on step 1!!!!!! I have made the claim publically, and I will get it. With the help of the great Dr. Francis and the fantastic PASS Program, I will do it. I said I will do it, nothing can stop me from doing it, and that means when I outscore you (meaning anybody), you have nothing to say. I am #1!!!! Now, I will prove it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did do well my first semester, but I made a huge mistake. At that time, I did not realize that SMU was a waste of time. This will be proven after I take step 1. Most, if not all, of the SMU students who study SMU's material will probably fail or barely pass step 1. Because of the great Dr. Francis and the PASS Program, I will score at least a 270 on step 1!!! Why waste time studying for a class at SMU, when it is not going to help you on step 1? Yes, studying SMU's material will get you failed on step 1, in my opinion. Why do you think SMU contacted Dr. Francis and now has the craplan program?

I cheated? No. My classmates in Maine? Yes. I failed out of SMU? No. I passed all of my classes in the 1, 2 and 3 semesters. While in 4 semester in Maine, I withdrew from path and pharm, passed PD 4, and failed genetics. Although, I probably would not have failed if I had taken the first test, which I was offered, the night before the exam and studied for an hour or so. I did not cheat to pass any of my classes. Now, you are saying I am a failure, and I should go away. That is never going to happen. I am going to be a better doctor than you, and I will prove it. You say I should not post, who are you? No one. You are no one to me. I can outscore you on step 1 all day long. You are nothing compared to me when it comes to medicine. Prove me wrong. All you have to do is post your step scores publically. Post them publically like I am going to do. It is the same old story, folks just like you come on here, and say I do not belong. Yet, you do not take the challenge when it is put in your face. I am telling you that I am going to outscore you on step 1, 2 and 3. Then I will outperform you in clinicals, residency and in practice. Let's compete. I will prove I am #1!!!!!!!! I am #1!!!! SMU sucks! I will outscore you on any of the step scores!

Let me add this. I have posted exactly what I have done and what I am going to do. I do not cheat. I get my craplan scores fairly. I have not seen the questions before I take their test. I post my craplan scores as I get them. They are standard questions for step 1, and everyone knows they reflect the step scores pretty well. Why haven't you posted your average kaplan scores?

If 300 is possible, I definitely will. But, according to Dr. Francis, a 270 is the max. Now, I have heard some people have gotten a 300 or so. I will believe it when I see it. Prove it to me in writing. Then I will believe it. I have to say, in the past with USMLE, they may have scored differently than they do now. I do not know the official scoring yet. But, it is something I will have to call and ask them about. Whatever a perfect score is on their test, I will get it!!! I feel it is doable with Dr. Francis and the PASS Program. The highest score out of his program is a 267! I study nothing but the PASS Program. Nothing else. I have not and will never study anything else; the PASS Program is all I need. I have absolutely no doubt of that. I have not and will never study Goljan, craplan, first aid, step up, robbins, guyton, or anything else. In fact, after learning about the PASS Program, I stopped studying for my classes. The PASS Program is ALL I study. I absolutely love it!!! I just study my classes enough to pass them, and then I immediately forget that material. This way I do not ruin what I have learned with the PASS Program. I hope others will come to the PASS Program too, and I hope they get a perfect score too.
It's time for your Haldol shot, Mr. Turner...

As of today, the lady I spoke with at USMLE tells me that the max score possible is a 300. I understood the max score to be a 270. According to the lady at USMLE, she has never seen or heard of a 300. If 300 is indeed the max score, then I will be the first person to ever get a 300! So, to answer your question of will I get a 300, the answer is absolutely YES!!! I will get a 300 on step 1!!!!!! I have made the claim publically, and I will get it. With the help of the great Dr. Francis and the fantastic PASS Program, I will do it. I said I will do it, nothing can stop me from doing it, and that means when I outscore you (meaning anybody), you have nothing to say. I am #1!!!! Now, I will prove it.

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM OR DENY THAT THIS GUY ACTUALLY ATTENDED ANY MED SCHOOL PLEASE I DO HOPE NOBODY CAN BECAUSE IT IS SAD IF THIS GUY IS REALLY IN MED SCHOOL REAL SAD I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT HE IS EVEN OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL IT IS UNREAL HE IS IN MED SCHOOL SO IF ANYONE I MEAN ANYONE WHO CAN CONFIRM SEEING HIM ON CAMPUS OR EVEN STUDYING ONLINE TELL US IT AIN T SO PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM OR DENY THAT THIS GUY ACTUALLY ATTENDED ANY MED SCHOOL PLEASE I DO HOPE NOBODY CAN BECAUSE IT IS SAD IF THIS GUY IS REALLY IN MED SCHOOL REAL SAD I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT HE IS EVEN OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL IT IS UNREAL HE IS IN MED SCHOOL SO IF ANYONE I MEAN ANYONE WHO CAN CONFIRM SEEING HIM ON CAMPUS OR EVEN STUDYING ONLINE TELL US IT AIN T SO PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE
My ears hurt, but I will still tell you, Yes. The dude wears the same set of fatigues every day. A pair of cords, white socks, a white shirt, and as required, a tie. SB walks a lot, steers clear of most others, but throws in a few funny lines here and there. Drives a C class. Enough said. Now leave him alone. You people say he's delusional, but to him, it's all real. A matter of perspective perhaps? SMU now. Thread on track. Thread on. Tread on.

My ears hurt, but I will still tell you, Yes. The dude wears the same set of fatigues every day. A pair of cords, white socks, a white shirt, and as required, a tie. SB walks a lot, steers clear of most others, but throws in a few funny lines here and there. Drives a C class. Enough said. Now leave him alone. You people say he's delusional, but to him, it's all real. A matter of perspective perhaps? SMU now. Thread on track. Thread on. Tread on.

WHAT SCHOOL DID YOU SEE HIM AT?UMMM

WHAT SCHOOL DID YOU SEE HIM AT?UMMM
SMU, like I posted. Dude, the guy is as real as it gets. As I explained, he's just has poor defenses, chooses not to listen. People with Schizophrenia/Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorders/Delusional Disorders have accomplished things in life, you know. Of course, it is never in the same manner as you or me, but... How about John Forbes Nash? I bet he would have thrown down a 250+ Step score (whether it was real or delusional)...

He went to St. James, which is the first sign of mental instability. He then jumped ship to a school even less established if that's possible. Then he started at his third med school, st matthews, and ranted and raved about how great it is. As a student of smu, i can tell you it was a sad day when this guy started posting on vmd as a student of our school, it def cost us some credibility and was not deserved.

Then about a year ago, SMU instituted strict policies regarding shelf exams and how they would be incorporated. Delusional narcissists like mr. turner realized their pipe dream was drawing to a close, and he turned on the school for actually instituting policies worthy of a med school. As he always does, rather than look in the mirror and analyze his own shortcomings and deficiencies such as why he is unable to pass courses that have a minimum shelf exam proficiency attached to them, he bashes the school.

Seriously, SB, please just leave now and go somewhere, anywhere else. You are a disgrace to SMU and you always were. You are like many students who cheated in various ways and used old tests and then are outraged when they are expected to perform at a minimal level (very minimal) on the shelf exam. Those same students are now spreading lies and slander that SMU is an empty shell that doesn't prepare students for the boards.

Let's be clear: no matter what school you go to, if you spend your time circumventing the process and taking shortcuts, you will not pass step 1. period.

I really liked that quote regarding humility that someone posted. It's sad and embarassing to read the nonsensical, baseless of hyperbole of someone who has not to this day demonstrated one iota of competency for medicine. But it's always coming, always tomorrow or the next day, around the next corner. Turner could not gain admission to a u.s. school, or the big three, and he can't even hold his own at SMU, which he claims is garbage. Exactly what does that make him? Despite all this, this loser has no problem bragging endlessly with ZERO basis for it.

Well, I doubt he's doing SMU any harm because he seems to have zero credibility. I think we all realize he's a little off. I've got to admit, his posts are about the most amusing thing a person can read on SDN these days, too. :)

Well, I doubt he's doing SMU any harm because he seems to have zero credibility. I think we all realize he's a little off. I've got to admit, his posts are about the most amusing thing a person can read on SDN these days, too. :)
I agree. Too bad he didn't provide the same level of entertainment in class.

My father graduated from OU, and the school, area and people are good folk. But, it is going to be fun outscoring US medical school students on all of the steps. I am not very entertaining in class, and I do like to be by myself. After all, I am going to be the greatest cardiac surgeon to ever live. I will say, I met a FEW great great students at SMU, and I would be honored to work by their side. I do hate SMU. But, I would take few friends over any other med student or doctor on earth. :)

My father graduated from OU, and the school, area and people are good folk. But, it is going to be fun outscoring US medical school students on all of the steps. I am not very entertaining in class, and I do like to be by myself. After all, I am going to be the greatest cardiac surgeon to ever live. I will say, I met a FEW great great students at SMU, and I would be honored to work by their side. I do hate SMU. But, I would take few friends over any other med student or doctor on earth. :)

YOU WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING YOU WASTE YOUR TIME BEST THING TO DO IS DONATE YOUR ORGANS EXCEPT YOUR BRAIN TO SCIENCE SO SOME PEOPLE CAN LIVE WHO NEED THOSE ORGANS

DRJ, I would seriously just ignore SB. He has obviously annoyed you in the same way that he is annoying everybody here but remember he is a 40 year old man so is probably not of sound mind. I thought he was very young and thought that might be the reason for his crazy posts on VMD. Now I find out he is 40 (almost old enough to be the father of a med student) I feel nothing but pity for the guy. I think everybody should agree to ignore everything SB says- is there no way the moderators can stop him posting this crap?

YOU WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING YOU WASTE YOUR TIME BEST THING TO DO IS DONATE YOUR ORGANS EXCEPT YOUR BRAIN TO SCIENCE SO SOME PEOPLE CAN LIVE WHO NEED THOSE ORGANS
Dude, don't you think that what you wrote is a bit over the top? SBTurner may be a bit out there, but just because he is, he shouldn't be crucifed. The system has a way of selecting for the ones who it feels are most fit to do the job. Let the ways of the world be.

Dude, don't you think that what you wrote is a bit over the top? SBTurner may be a bit out there, but just because he is, he shouldn't be crucifed. The system has a way of selecting for the ones who it feels are most fit to do the job. Let the ways of the world be.

YOU ARE CORRECT SB,,,ITS NOT GOING TO BE MUCH LONGER THEN

40 and proud. A little disappointed in light of the fact that my last couple of craplan scores have been around 36 - 38%. I have to improve on this. I need another 60%, and I expect to get it again soon. I am #1!!!! Have nice day!:)