AUA student ask me anything (3rd semester)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunchojack

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up everyone,

I remember browsing this forum during my application process and prior to starting my first semester. At the time I thought it would be cool to come back to the forum and share my experience with anyone who is curious about AUA or maybe anxious (like I was) about staring here next semester. It's been a year since then and I'm now in my third semester.

Like I've said, I've browsed this forum from time to time and I know the reputation AUA has on here, but I'm going to try and keep it as real as possible with you guys.

All I ask is that you keep in mind anything I say will be from my perspective, that is, the perspective of a student (i.e. I don't know any of the administrative stuff going on at AUA, and I really can't speak on that)

Anyways, lets do this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Whats up everyone,

I remember browsing this forum during my application process and prior to starting my first semester. At the time I thought it would be cool to come back to the forum and share my experience with anyone who is curious about AUA or maybe anxious (like I was) about staring here next semester. It's been a year since then and I'm now in my third semester.

Like I've said, I've browsed this forum from time to time and I know the reputation AUA has on here, but I'm going to try and keep it as real as possible with you guys.

All I ask is that you keep in mind anything I say will be from my perspective, that is, the perspective of a student (i.e. I don't know any of the administrative stuff going on at AUA, and I really can't speak on that)

Anyways, lets do this.
How does this school deal with failing grades? If the cutoff is a 70, what woukd happen to a person with a 69?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats up everyone,

Anyways, lets do this.
How many people started with your cohort and how many started third semester

How does this school deal with failing grades? If the cutoff is a 70, what woukd happen to a person with a 69?

Good question. You are right, the cut off is 70 for the end of the first year (which is semesters 1 and 2).

This 'technically' means you can move from the first semester to the second semester with an average below 70 (the minimum grade is whatever would mathematically allow you to reach a 70). I have a few friends who ended up doing this and it worked out (but I would advise against it unless the person is close (67-69).

In general, if you 'passed' (70+) the first semester and failed the second, the school will likely allow you to repeat only the second semester (I know a couple people currently doing this).

Now for the bad part, if you failed in your first semester, moved on, AND STILL failed to reach a 70 in your second.. you'd have to repeat the full year.

70 is a hard cutoff so if you had 69 you would probably be out of luck (I think)... but maybe you can try to appeal it? I'm not 100% sure about this point.

This same situation applies for semester 3 and 4.

How many people started with your cohort and how many started third semester

My starting cohort (I believe) was one of the largest.
We started with around 430-460 students and by third semester we are down to around 250ish. Yikes.

I can go into the reasons why I personally believe so many people didn't pass, but I'll just say that I was not surprised by most of the people (that I knew) who failed.

Keep the questions coming guys!

Reactions: 4 users
Good question. You are right, the cut off is 70 for the end of the first year (which is semesters 1 and 2).

This 'technically' means you can move from the first semester to the second semester with an average below 70 (the minimum grade is whatever would mathematically allow you to reach a 70). I have a few friends who ended up doing this and it worked out (but I would advise against it unless the person is close (67-69).

In general, if you passed the first semester and failed the second, the school will likely allow you to repeat only the second semester (I know a couple people currently doing this).

Now for the bad part, if you failed in your first semester, moved on, AND STILL failed to reach a 70 in your second.. you'd have to repeat the full year.

This same situation applies for semester 3 and 4.

We started with around 430-460 students and by third semester we are down to around 250ish. Yikes.

I can go into the reasons why I personally believe so many people didn't pass, but I'll just say that I was not surprised by most of the people (that I knew) who failed.

Keep the questions coming guys!
Damn. Appreciate the disclosure, OP

Reactions: 2 users
Why did you choose AUA over the more well-known schools down there?

What hospitals do you guys predominately rotate at stateside?

My main criteria was if the school was accredited in all 50 states. After that it got narrowed down to a few schools which included AUA. I ended up choosing AUA because they did not require an MCAT

As for your second question I am not sure specifically but there are a bunch all over the states (I know they have a lot in NY from one of my friends who's rotating now).

Last edited:
I ended up choosing AUA because they did not require an MCAT

Are you a US student? If you are then you're either lying or you are grossly misinformed because any of those "50-state accredited" schools will require you to "sit" for the MCAT as that is actually a requirement for your file and I believe it has to be disclosed during some future application process as a US-resident medical student that you completed the MCAT. I was told this by SGU admissions.

So don't say AUA doesn't require the MCAT and just leave it at that. If you meant to say that AUA doesn't use the MCAT in it's admissions decision then that is another story as well.

Are you a US student? If you are then you're either lying or you are grossly misinformed because any of those "50-state accredited" schools will require you to "sit" for the MCAT as that is actually a requirement for your file and I believe it has to be disclosed during some future application process as a US-resident medical student that you completed the MCAT. I was told this by SGU admissions.

So don't say AUA doesn't require the MCAT and just leave it at that. If you meant to say that AUA doesn't use the MCAT in it's admissions decision then that is another story as well.

Nah i'm good, I'm not a US student.

I can phrase it as "AUA didn't use the MCAT in it's admissions decision" if you prefer. But regardless, I think you and almost everyone else on this board understood me the first time lol.

I've heard people gossiping (here at AUA) about what you mentioned with regards to being required to 'sit' for the MCAT but haven't heard anyone who has actually been able to substantiate this.

I suppose if it really came down to it and I really needed to write the MCAT I could spare a few hours and pop in to the local testing centre and knock that thang out one weekend. I actually might do it just for fun/curiosity

Last edited:
What specialty are you interested in? Do you feel like doors are open to you?

Psych would be my top choice! I think doors are open, but undeniably less doors than US students. There are usually several people who get psych placements from my school so I'm feeling ok though

Nah i'm good, I'm not a US student.
Why on earth would you attempt to go to AUA as a non-US student? That's like 100x worse than going to AUA in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why on earth would you attempt to go to AUA as a non-US student? That's like 100x worse than going to AUA in the first place.

It's cool, don't worry about me - I'll be fine.
Good luck next year at SGU

"50-state accredited" schools will require you to "sit" for the MCAT as that is actually a requirement for your file and I believe it has to be disclosed during some future application process as a US-resident medical student that you completed the MCAT. I was told this by SGU admissions.

This is not true. There's no requirement to take the MCAT, or report a score, at any point in the residency or medical licensing process that I know of. Every state has their own licensing, and it's possible there's a state out there that requires this, but I haven't heard of it.

Reactions: 2 users
I've removed and edited some off-topic argumentative few posts that were unrelated to the original point of this thread. Let's please get back to the AMA and refrain from side-arguments.

Schools that provide title IV federal loans are required to have their students provide MCAT scores (US permanent residents and citizens only). So that's probably the rule you are all referencing, and since he's not american it doesn't apply to him anyways.

Schools that provide title IV federal loans are required to have their students provide MCAT scores (US permanent residents and citizens only). So that's probably the rule you are all referencing, and since he's not american it doesn't apply to him anyways.

First, an aside... I find it interesting that you created an account a year ago... and this is your first post. Just curious, that's all.

Secondly, it's nice to have this kind of information. It's even better when it's sourced, which gives you more credibility... especially as a first time poster. I have done that for you.

A foreign graduate medical school having a post-baccalaureate/equivalent medical program must require students accepted for admission who are U.S. citizens, nationals, or eligible permanent residents to have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and to have reported their scores to the foreign graduate medical school. Foreign graduate medical schools are not required to give weight to a U.S. student’s score on the MCAT as part of its admission requirements. Schools are required to submit MCAT scores for U.S. students to its accrediting body, and to the Department upon request (see Collection and Submission of Data).

(page 3)

https://ifap.ed.gov/ForeignSchoolInfo/attachments/FSHandbookCh3.pdf
What this means:
  1. Students going offshore to get their medical education cannot get a Federally-secured loan without taking the MCAT.
  2. You do not have to get a certain score to get that loan. You just have to have taken it.
  3. The schools have to be willing to provide proof that their students have taken the MCAT if they want to continue in the Federal loan program. For every student.
-Skip

First, an aside... I find it interesting that you created an account a year ago... and this is your first post. Just curious, that's all.

Secondly, it's nice to have this kind of information. It's even better when it's sourced, which gives you more credibility... especially as a first time poster. I have done that for you.

A foreign graduate medical school having a post-baccalaureate/equivalent medical program must require students accepted for admission who are U.S. citizens, nationals, or eligible permanent residents to have taken the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and to have reported their scores to the foreign graduate medical school. Foreign graduate medical schools are not required to give weight to a U.S. student’s score on the MCAT as part of its admission requirements. Schools are required to submit MCAT scores for U.S. students to its accrediting body, and to the Department upon request (see Collection and Submission of Data).

(page 3)

https://ifap.ed.gov/ForeignSchoolInfo/attachments/FSHandbookCh3.pdf
What this means:
  1. Students going offshore to get their medical education cannot get a Federally-secured loan without taking the MCAT.
  2. You do not have to get a certain score to get that loan. You just have to have taken it.
  3. The schools have to be willing to provide proof that their students have taken the MCAT if they want to continue in the Federal loan program. For every student.
-Skip

Not every student, MCAT rules for fed loans only apply to US citizens, nationals or permanent residents. OP is none of those so the MCAT rule does not apply to him/her.

All of the Carib schools have exceptions for non-US citizens and the MCAT requirement.

Also, there is NO SUCH THING AS "50 STATE ACCREDITATION."

(page 3)
What this means:
-Skip

I mostly just lurk threads, haven't really had much to add. A lot of useful information on the board that I read from time to time. Residency has been keeping me busy.

Thanks for adding in the source. I figured it didn't really matter to source it since I wasn't giving anyone advice.

EDIT: Also agreed with the above. It clearly says "U.S. citizens, nationals, or eligible permanent residents". So as the OP is none of the above they don't need to have taken the MCAT.

Last edited:
Must have missed the part about them not being a U.S. citizen. Of course you're right.

-Skip

My bad guys, didn't mean to mislead anyone when I said we weren't required to take the MCAT. I was basing this on my personal understanding (as a non-US citizen) and figured it applied to all students here.

When I think about it, the only people I know who didn't take the MCAT as well are all Canadians, so you guys are probably correct about requiring it if you're from the states.

I'm a US citizen and was accepted to AUA about a year and a half ago. As a US citizen, the MCAT was required, but it seemed like they didn't care at all about my score. Nevertheless, I am at SGU now. I have friends here at SGU that haven't taken the MCAT, since they're non-US citizens. Plenty of students here at SGU also do not have a bachelors degree. There's some classmates that are 19, 20 years old here in the MD program without a bachelors and MCAT, yikes!

I'm a US citizen and was accepted to AUA about a year and a half ago. As a US citizen, the MCAT was required, but it seemed like they didn't care at all about my score. Nevertheless, I am at SGU now. I have friends here at SGU that haven't taken the MCAT, since they're non-US citizens. Plenty of students here at SGU also do not have a bachelors degree. There's some classmates that are 19, 20 years old here in the MD program without a bachelors and MCAT, yikes!

I'm guessing those students with no bachelors degree are foreign students?

Yes, foreign students do not need bachelors degree or MCAT

Thanks for starting the thread and responding candidly OP. I think these are great sources for prospective students. My questions:

1. Do you hope to practice medicine in the US? If so, why did you choose to go to a Caribbean school over a US school?

2. Dropping from over 400 to ~250 students in 2 years sounds crazy to me. Do you feel that the school does an adequate job supporting students? Both in terms of education and personal well-being?

3. In general, what resources, facilities, or other things do you feel need to be improved at your school? Do you think anything is severely lacking?

4. Do you feel like you are being prepared adequately for board exams and clinical rotations?

5. There's a lot of doom and gloom about Carib schools on this site (much of them being legitimate concerns), so more positive question: What's the biggest plus to your school? Are you currently happy with your decision to attend AUA?

I really don't think it's fair for a non-US Caribbean medical student to be offering "ask me anything" advice on Caribbean schools. Most of these schools, the big ones at least, are attended by US students who plan on practicing in the US. There are so many more obstacles non-US students face that their "advice" probably doesn't apply to their US counterparts.

For example, non-US students will face a host of Visa/immigration issues with a vast majority of programs; a big issue that is not an issue for US students. Secondly, STEP scores will have to be higher for non-US students if they want to stand a chance getting into a US residency. Those are all facts that I don't think anyone would argue.

So I really don't know what the point of this specific thread is unless there are a bunch of non-US students who are viewing the Caribbean forum which, from my observation, is not the case.

Whats up everyone,

Anyways, lets do this.

Hey, my best friend goes to AUA and I was hoping to send her a care package!! I know this is an odd question, but do you know how I could go about doing this? Are there student organizations there that do care packages for students? Thank you.

Hey, my best friend goes to AUA and I was hoping to send her a care package!! I know this is an odd question, but do you know how I could go about doing this? Are there student organizations there that do care packages for students? Thank you.

She's a big girl now. I don't think she needs care packages at this stage. If you feel she still indeed needs care packages, your best bet would be to contact the school, NOT random people on this website who may or may not know what they are talking about or in your case know anything about AUA.

Yes, foreign students do not need bachelors degree or MCAT

US students dont either at most of the schools. Just need to have completed the required courses and have a minimum number of hours. We had lots of students at Ross who didn't have bachelor's degrees who were US students. The US students did need the MCAT though.

She's a big girl now. I don't think she needs care packages at this stage. If you feel she still indeed needs care packages, your best bet would be to contact the school, NOT random people on this website who may or may not know what they are talking about or in your case know anything about AUA.

I'm at SGU and my parents send me care packages and i'm not in my 20's anymore... nothing wrong with that, we all appreciate a bit of love and goodies from home.

US students dont either at most of the schools. Just need to have completed the required courses and have a minimum number of hours. We had lots of students at Ross who didn't have bachelor's degrees who were US students. The US students did need the MCAT though.

So... you failed out of Ross huh? Now I think I understand the animosity.

;)

-Skip

Keep the questions coming guys![/QUOTE]

Could you give a few reasons to why you think so many people didn't pass? Or pm me? I want to make sure to avoid those mistakes.

Whats up everyone,

Anyways, lets do this.

So, I would like to know about the living and flight experiences you have. For instance, I once attended MUA on Nevis, and I can remember that little 6 or 10 person plane sucking, as well as, all of the crazy baggage fee's that I encountered after having zero with the big airliners. Furthermore, how did you find the class and the content? I left med school years ago, but recently got re-accepted after having graduated law school, so I am seeing how things might have changed, and if I would rather maybe go back to MUA or maybe AUA. Also, how do you guys handle the hurricanes? for instance, do they request you leave the island? Furthermore, where have some of the previous graduates obtained clinicals, and residencies? Also, does the school have a final comprehensive exam to leave the school and island after your matriculation there?
Thank you for your time!

So, I would like to know about the living and flight experiences you....

Your experience of travelling to Nevis is not like what I have experienced going to Antigua. The flights I’m on are usually “normal” sized American Airlines or Air Canada flights, similar to if I was flying to somewhere in the states or Canada.

As for the content, our exams are comprised of NBME questions. We have lectures and small group classes (of ~10-20 students) everyday. At the end of the day though, I usually find that I am teaching myself the material and using external resources.

Hurricanes are usually dealt with on a case to case bases. They may just cancel class for a few days, or they may make a decision to cancel class for and extended period of time and allow people to fly out should they choose to do so.

There is a final comprehensive exam at the end of semester 4. I’m not sure specifically about all the residencies people land but there is probably a list on the school site.

Could you give a few reasons to why you think so many people didn't pass? Or pm me? I want to make sure to avoid those mistakes.

- The school is usually last resort for people who couldn’t cut it in the US or Canada, these same people may have poor study habits or a lack of focus.

- Some people treated it like a vacation, went to the beach all the time, etc.. and probably thought since the school was in the Caribbean it would be “easier”

- Some people came to the island with unrealistic expectations, and we’re not able to adapt to things, like flaky wifi,the AC not working, etc..

Your experience of travelling to Nevis is not like what I have experienced going to Antigua. The flights I’m on are usually “normal” sized American Airlines or Air Canada flights, similar to if I was flying to somewhere in the states or Canada.

As for the content, our exams are comprised of NBME questions. We have lectures and small group classes (of ~10-20 students) everyday. At the end of the day though, I usually find that I am teaching myself the material and using external resources.

Hurricanes are usually dealt with on a case to case bases. They may just cancel class for a few days, or they may make a decision to cancel class for and extended period of time and allow people to fly out should they choose to do so.

There is a final comprehensive exam at the end of semester 4. I’m not sure specifically about all the residencies people land but there is probably a list on the school site.
This is actually really interesting. Our curriculum is exactly like this

- The school is usually last resort for people who couldn’t cut it in the US or Canada, these same people may have poor study habits or a lack of focus.

- Some people treated it like a vacation, went to the beach all the time, etc.. and probably thought since the school was in the Caribbean it would be “easier”

- Some people came to the island with unrealistic expectations, and we’re not able to adapt to things, like flaky wifi,the AC not working, etc..

Pretty much exactly the same here at SGU. spot on.

Pretty much exactly the same here at SGU. spot on.
Honestly, that’s just so sad. I complain so much about the crap my school puts us through. And it’s probably ten times worse on the islands. Probably would’ve been a drop out statistic by now

Honestly, that’s just so sad. I complain so much about the crap my school puts us through. And it’s probably ten times worse on the islands. Probably would’ve been a drop out statistic by now

Agreed! We all love to complain about our med schools and what they put us through, but I know that 100 percent I would have been a drop out statistic if I had gone the Caribbean route.

1. I never took the MCAT
2. I went to, and Graduated from AUA in 2014. Im a US Citizen.
3. I completed Internal medicine residency at a top University program
4. I am finishing up my Cardiology fellowship at a different University program now.
5. I am doing Interventional Cardiology at different University program in 2020.
6. You are grossly misinformed. AUA did not REQUIRE the MCAT when I matriculated.
7. PM me if you want my credentials.
8. Im posting this so people know its possible to obtain highly competitive specialties from the carrib. In fact, throughout my training, I was more impressed with IMGs from the Caribbean, India, and the Middle east over the AMGs I worked with.

Last edited:
I mostly try to stay out of these types of threads nowadays, but this nonsense is just too bonkers to ignore.
Out of maybe 10,000 or so IMG/FMGs who attempt to match in the U.S. global wide, less than 500 make it through on the first try. Those are not good odds.
This is ridiculous. You realize the ACGME releases stats on these types of things, right? ~7,000 IMGs match every year, the vast majority on their first try. You either can't interpret simple graphs/charts or don't care enough to be informed about topics you comment on, neither being a particularly good look for a physician...

ACGME Data Resource Book

Still, if you aspire to be a physician and can’t vía the normal route, are a hard worker, and don’t mind matching into a PCP residency, then the Caribbean is probably 100% for you. But for those pre-meds with dreams of matching into derm and IR radiology.....well. Let’s just say, you have been warned
Again, if you actually look at the stats, this is a ridiculous statement. The majority of IMGs match into internal medicine, which has plentiful career paths other than being a PCP. There were hundreds of unfilled medical subspecialty positions this year, meaning basically any IM graduate could choose to be a subspecialist if they didn't want to be a PCP. Tons of IM grads become hospitalists, which again, are not PCPs.

And also, have you ever looked at the residency specialty distribution for DOs? Looks a lot more similar to IMGs than USMDs, so much so that up until a couple years ago the NRMP grouped DOs with IMGs when doing their analyses.

Do you go onto all the osteopathic threads and make similar comments about "matching into a PCP residency"? Because you probably should. Ever look into how many DOs match into derm each year?

https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta...s/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf

I mostly try to stay out of these types of threads nowadays, but this nonsense is just too bonkers to ignore.

This is ridiculous. You realize the ACGME releases stats on these types of things, right? ~7,000 IMGs match every year, the vast majority on their first try. You either can't interpret simple graphs/charts or don't care enough to be informed about topics you comment on, neither being a particularly good look for a physician...

ACGME Data Resource Book

Again, if you actually look at the stats, this is a ridiculous statement. The majority of IMGs match into internal medicine, which has plentiful career paths other than being a PCP. There were hundreds of unfilled medical subspecialty positions this year, meaning basically any IM graduate could choose to be a subspecialist if they didn't want to be a PCP. Tons of IM grads become hospitalists, which again, are not PCPs.

And also, have you ever looked at the residency specialty distribution for DOs? Looks a lot more similar to IMGs than USMDs, so much so that up until a couple years ago the NRMP grouped DOs with IMGs when doing their analyses.

Do you go onto all the osteopathic threads and make similar comments about "matching into a PCP residency"? Because you probably should. Ever look into how many DOs match into derm each year?

https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta...s/2018/04/Main-Match-Result-and-Data-2018.pdf
Congratulations, I’m truly happy for you. What you did/are doing is an amazing accomplishment in and of itself. However, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. The IMG/FMG who go on to become successful such as yourself, are the exception NOT the rule. Out of maybe 10,000 or so IMG/FMGs who attempt to match in the U.S. global wide, less than 500 make it through on the first try. Those are not good odds. Especially when that number is higher than 96% for US senior medical students.

Still, if you aspire to be a physician and can’t vía the normal route, are a hard worker, and don’t mind matching into a PCP residency, then the Caribbean is probably 100% for you. But for those pre-meds with dreams of matching into derm and IR radiology.....well. Let’s just say, you have been warned

Lol NRMP releases data every year on match statistics. What you’re saying is Blatant lies. Why would you post something like that when the facts are two clicks away. Your credibility is thrown out the window. I hope you understand the ramifications of just making stuff up whatever career path you’ve chosen, but especially in medicine.

1. I never took the MCAT
2. I went to, and Graduated from AUA in 2014. Im a US Citizen.
3. I completed Internal medicine residency at a top University program
4. I am finishing up my Cardiology fellowship at a different University program now.
5. I am doing Interventional Cardiology at different University program in 2020.
6. You are grossly misinformed. AUA did not REQUIRE the MCAT when I matriculated.
7. PM me if you want my credentials.
8. Im posting this so people know its possible to obtain highly competitive specialties from the carrib. In fact, throughout my training, I was more impressed with IMGs from the Caribbean, India, and the Middle east over the AMGs I worked with.

Just pm’ed