Attn Medical Students and Residents: Beware Social Media

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Google "Student Dr. Meow"

This is a prime example of how social media can destroy your career in medicine.

The resident's name has been tarnished (a very different story, minimally related to Dr Meow) and he is dismissed from his residency program. And the medical student (Dr Meow) who exposed him will eventually be revealed, and will have a very difficult time obtaining a residency position.

Patients do not (1) want to know about your personal life, (2) do not want you posting about them online, (3) want you to solely focus on serious medical issues affecting them & not simultaneously worried about your online persona.

Take this as a lesson, future doctors.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Dr. Eugene Gu destroyed his medical career himself. It wasn't this girl's fault. That being said, you should of course be careful with what you opt to share on, and how you use, social media.

Reactions: 14 users
How will people know I'm in medical school if I don't post selfies on Instagram in my white coat with an inspirational quote?

Reactions: 33 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, you are acting like the resident was a defenseless victim? Naw fam. Social media can destroy a career if you post against your hospital's policy, if you care more about RT than relationships and if you get creepy with fake profiles.

Reactions: 15 users
It's honestly such a bizarre story all around. The obsession over retweets and Twitter followers is pathetic though. I thought we left all that in high school. You bear the consequences of your actions...

Reactions: 5 users
Eugene Gu was not your average social media user. Yes, we should all be wary because stuff can go viral, HIPAA, boundaries, representing our employer etc, but let's not act like Eugene Gu's firing was solely due to his social media use or make him the victim in the story about how he made a fake IG account and sent weird messages to a girl he assaulted.

Reactions: 7 users
How this guy had so much time to pull off these shenanigans as a surgical resident is beyond me. He must have been an awful resident. I found it funny where he kept referring to himself as a this great surgeon, when he couldn’t even make it out of pgy3 year. Some kinda god complex

This is a prime example of how social media can destroy your career in medicine.

The resident's name has been tarnished (a very different story, minimally related to Dr Meow) and he is dismissed from his residency program. And the medical student (Dr Meow) who exposed him will eventually be revealed, and will have a very difficult time obtaining a residency position.

Patients do not (1) want to know about your personal life, (2) do not want you posting about them online, (3) want you to solely focus on serious medical issues affecting them & not simultaneously worried about your online persona.

Gu is that you?
5a080b9409e019c31d6242af4850e503.jpg

I am more appalled at her ugpa and mcat than her social media presence.
upload_2018-7-13_10-34-10.png

Reactions: 17 users
Is Ross U still holding classes in Tennessee? Could explain how she's "starting med school in the US"
I think she goes to an osteopathic school. Because she liked an AOA announcement about a scholarship.

Reactions: 2 users
Is Ross U still holding classes in Tennessee? Could explain how she's "starting med school in the US"

Edit: NVM, she started in 2015. Ross in TN was 2017.
yeah they are. a classmate from my postbacc is living in TN currently, all proud of her US-MD status.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is all very bizarre.

yeah they are. a classmate from my postbacc is living in TN currently, all proud of her US-MD status.

Wouldn’t they still be considered an IMG?

Reactions: 1 users

1. The resident was fired because he was using twitter to disparage his home institution and had performance issues.
2. Dr. Meow will have no greater difficulty in obtaining a residency compared to her peers at what ever school based on her credentials. Her persona was anonymous, but even if it was not she has not said something that would blacklist her.
3. Patients do not want to know about your personal life, but that does not mean you are not free to have an online presence. It is better if it is anonymous, or something benign.

What is crazy is you think Dr.Meow had anything to do with Gu's dismissal. Gu's dissmisal occurred before this story broke. If anything Gu is the posterchild to why one should not use social media not Dr.Meow.

Reactions: 12 users
Found about all this through gomerblog, which Gu used his burner account (the same one he was using to harass the med student he was seeing) to accuse a gomerblog writer being racist for having a blackface twitter avatar...when it was just an ophthalmoscope with a mustache and top hat...

Then some how ZdoggMD got involved. Well, soon the gomerblog/ZdoggMD army got involved and all hell broke lose...

Bottom line: Gu is Laury, Finkle is Einhorn!

https://gomerblog.com/2018/07/eugene-gu/

Reactions: 4 users
I think she goes to an osteopathic school. Because she liked an AOA announcement about a scholarship.

It's easy to figure out who she is but let's be mature and not try to dox her. She's a medical student who found herself in an awkward romantic situation that is now unfortunately quite public. Maybe her account was only half the story and incited pitchforks that put the nail in Gu's social media coffin, but she really hasn't deserved any blacklisting.

Can we get a TL;DR?

Can we get a TL;DR?
  • Gu gains internet attention for public SJW antics
  • Gu tries to build internet fame by starting sexual relationship with overweight med student who is popular on twitter and leveraging her popularity
  • Gu is not attracted to med student and messaged her on a fake account claiming to be another girl in a bizzare attempt to get med student off his back
  • Gu gets kicked out of Vanderbilt surgery for "performance issues"
  • Fake account is exposed and med student calls out Gu for sexual assault
  • Gu retaliates that she was actually the one who sexually harassed him by sending unwanted sexual messages
  • Lots of embarrassing private messages revealed on both sides

Reactions: 13 users
It's easy to figure out who she is but let's be mature and not try to dox her. She's a medical student who found herself in an awkward romantic situation that is now unfortunately quite public. Maybe her account was only half the story and incited pitchforks that put the nail in Gu's social media coffin, but she really hasn't deserved any blacklisting.
i wasnt trying to dox her. Just wanted clarification on what school one can attend with such stats. But I agree she does not deserve any blacklisting based on what she has said in an anonymous twitter handle.

Reactions: 3 users
i wasnt trying to dox her. Just wanted clarification on what school one can attend with such stats. But I agree she does not deserve any blacklisting based on what she has said in an anonymous twitter handle.
I read some of her responses and apparently whatever masters program she did had some form of low standard direct to the medical school if you get As in certain classes.

Sorry, was being sarcastic. Yes, still IMG.
Sorry, the first part of my post was to the entire thread. Just the second question was directed at you! Sorry for the confusion.

Gu gets kicked out of Vanderbilt surgery for "performance issues"

Gu definitely had real performance issues. It's pretty clear to read that between the lines if you follow his story from the start. He also openly antagonized Vanderbilt university, all while showing extreme instability with incessant lying, and other mental disorder-like behavior. His firing had nothing to do with him and his kneeling post. Vanderbilt built a case, notice he hasn't sued yet, and that is likely because they spent months to years meticulously building a sue proof reason for a firing because they knew how unstable the person was they were dealing with.

Gu isn't any sort of victim.

Reactions: 13 users
This couldn’t have happened to a nicer couple. Since he’s been kicked out of his residency, what has he been up to? Cutting open rats behind a restaurant’s trash bins?

Hi Eugene.

Reactions: 18 users
This crazed SJW has been active on SDN in the past, threatening to dox people and ruin their career via twitter. Just an FYI so y'all know the kind of POS we're dealing with. In another time and place this guy would be putting bullets in the back of heads as one of Pol Pot's goons. I'm so happy he's likely saddled with hundreds of thousands in debt and not a prayer of ever paying it off.

Last edited:
This crazed SJW has been active on SDN in the past, threatening to dox people and ruin their career via twitter. Just an FYI so y'all know the kind of POS we're dealing with. In another time and place this guy would be putting bullets in the back of heads as one of Pol Pot's goons. I'm so happy he's likely saddled with hundreds of thousands in debt and not a prayer of ever paying it off.
he was a year three resident. Dude can hang shingle in any state. its a bit much comparing him to a war criminal, i havent seen him commit any violence against anyone.

Pretty strong evidence he sexually assaulted someone actually
there are differing accounts on that question. with chats that support that she was sending him sexually explicit voicemails and texts.The lady was also free to file chargers prior to this revalation, yet nothing came up before this. Im not trying to defend this POS but lets not equate him to a mass murderer.

there are differing accounts on that question. with chats that support that she was sending him sexually explicit voicemails and texts.The lady was also free to file chargers prior to this revalation, yet nothing came up before this. Im not trying to defend this POS but lets not equate him to a mass murderer.

Agree with this

I agree with not comparing him to a mass murderer, but just to be clear, sending someone sexually explicit messages is not consent. A person can withdraw consent at any point, and no matter what she said to him prior to the act, if she said no and he forced himself on her, that’s sexual assault. Also, a lack of filing charges is hardly evidence that he didn’t commit sexual assault. It’s one of the most underreported crimes.

I agree with not comparing him to a mass murderer, but just to be clear, sending someone sexually explicit messages is not consent. A person can withdraw consent at any point, and no matter what she said to him prior to the act, if she said no and he forced himself on her, that’s sexual assault. Also, a lack of filing charges is hardly evidence that he didn’t commit sexual assault. It’s one of the most underreported crimes.
i agree with all of that, I am just stating that the sexually explicit messages directly contradict the way she set up the story of not wanting to engage in anything with him from the beginning. Also it is an anonymous person on the internet's accusation. This is the reason the justice system exists rather than to just convict someone in the court of public opinion. It should be noted that she went back and wanted to continue to meet with this person after this alleged assault occurred.

Reactions: 6 users
i agree with all of that, I am just stating that the sexually explicit messages directly contradict the way she set up the story of not wanting to engage in anything with him from the beginning. Also it is an anonymous person on the internet's accusation. This is the reason the justice system exists rather than to just convict someone in the court of public opinion. It should be noted that she went back and wanted to continue to meet with this person after this alleged assault occurred.

I basically agree with you. But let’s not pretend our justice system is fair and that every criminal gets convicted or even charged. I don’t want to belabor the point. I just wanted to point out that her messages and failure to report don’t mean she wasn’t assaulted.

She probably did want a sexual relationship before meeting him in person. However, upon meeting him and spending time with him, she didn't consent. I have not seen him post sexually explicit comments after the Valentine's Day massacre, so it reinforced her story. However, he continued his disturbing behavior with his alter ego.

I basically agree with you. But let’s not pretend our justice system is fair and that every criminal gets convicted or even charged. I don’t want to belabor the point. I just wanted to point out that her messages and failure to report don’t mean she wasn’t assaulted.
I agree that our justice system is not perfect, but I personally would prefer it over mob justice. The accounts of that day differ in terms of who was the aggressor, since gu basically said she catfished him. And why would a person who was assaulted as she claims continue to want a romantic relationship, spend the entire next day with this person or continue to offer to drive over 2 hours to have sex with him ? It is just weird and makes me really question the truth behind her claims.

She probably did want a sexual relationship before meeting him in person. However, upon meeting him and spending time with him, she didn't consent. I have not seen him post sexually explicit comments after the Valentine's Day massacre, so it reinforced her story. However, he continued his disturbing behavior with his alter ego.
upload_2018-7-14_17-48-28.png

This conversation was dated june 11/12th

I agree that our justice system is not perfect, but I personally would prefer it over mob justice. The accounts of that day differ in terms of who was the aggressor, since gu basically said she catfished him. And why would a person who was assaulted as she claims continue to want a romantic relationship, spend the entire next day with this person or continue to offer to drive over 2 hours to have sex with him ? It is just weird and makes me really question the truth behind her claims.
She still seems to be in denial about whether what happened was sexual assault. Most of us say it was, but plenty of people chalk it up to a date date, IR a creepy misunderstanding. When my parent was growing up, date rape was almost never reported, let alone anything less. Remember, marital rape was still legal in some states until the 90s, but it doesn't make it right.

She still seems to be in denial about whether what happened was sexual assault. Most of us say it was, but plenty of people chalk it up to a date date, IR a creepy misunderstanding. When my parent was growing up, date rape was almost never reported, let alone anything less. Remember, marital rape was still legal in some states until the 90s, but it doesn't make it right.
I agree with you. But I have a difficult time accepting her retelling of the story considering she immediately did actions the next day and later on that contradict the internal monolog she claimed to have about the alleged assult. Where as gu seems to have clearly been brushing her off to go to a fake sobpena, or told her to go to the er doc. It is hardly a slam dunk. And frankly both of them are attention seekers that want Twitter followers and controversy To attain that end.

View attachment 237153
This conversation was dated june 11/12th
Don't see her asking to be with him, more about so about an ER doc. Either way, she really never called his behavior criminal or predatory as much as we have. Add it to the ex wife, the disturbing alter ego and those sexually explicit (and racist) posts and Gu comes off as someone who is a creep. I would put him on a list of people to avoid in person.

Don't see her asking to be with him, more about so about an ER doc. Either way, she really never called his behavior criminal or predatory as much as we have. Add it to the ex wife, the disturbing alter ego and those sexually explicit (and racist) posts and Gu comes off as someone who is a creep. I would put him on a list of people to avoid in person.
"its not that serious, i wanna ****,but there is an ER doc on my way back, so it was either you or the er doc."

i read that as someone propositioning me.

But i would agree, I would probably avoid gu and this dr.Meow in real life.

Private messages going public to the world. It's embarrassing for them and for us as a society.

I'm loving every minute of it though

I really hesitate to look at someone's actions immediately after assault in making judgments about what took place. I leave that up to the law.

That said, there is the court of public opinion, and I agree with @raiderette there is certainly enough going on here to come to a personal conclusion that Gu is not a person to associate oneself with, and I think that's a fair conclusion for someone to make.

Whether or not someone swipes right or left on this woman in their Tindr app, I also leave to personal discretion. That might be unfair, but this entire affair might be one that someone decides they personally want distance from. C'est la vie.

I say that knowing that it sucks to be a victim of assault and have that factor into whether or not someone wants to associate with me on a personal level, on that basis. As long as that discrimination isn't against the law, I might disagree with it, but it is what it is and I can't really do anything about it, except for advocacy. If you are a victim of assault and that's how people react, it hurts, but cut 'em (as in, out of your life). Unfortunately this is likely where this woman is at.

Aside from just this particular issue with this Gu, there's a lot going on as well, that I think justifies an employer taking action against him. Whether or not that sticks, again, up to the legal system. If I were an employer, I would go about terminating this person if it was within my legal rights, or not employing them to begin with.

No one owes hiring someone who is a PR nightmare. Take away these allegations of abuse towards women, his "advocacy" work that some argue shouldn't be censored, and his online social media presence is still shameful. So makes no difference on the other fronts, you already have reason to want to kick this guy to the curb, professionally and personally.

So here’s why I believe her side and feel that Gu is lying:

1) Gu has a documented history of domestic violence allegations made against him. There’s a Duke Chronicle article where they finally did some investigation and found four distinct episodes alleged by his ex wife that also contain some similar themes to meowskis account of things. There are other allegations of assault against him brewing among less followed accounts.

2) I have a personal friend who dated Gu very briefly and while she doesn’t allege any sexual misconduct against her, she does note that the things meowskis alleges he said in and around the time of the alleged assault are in line with things he said to her.

3) Meowksi tweets nearly every minute of her dating life. For some reason there’s not a word about the trip where he allegedly assaulted her. Now, if his version were true, she drove 4 hours to see a guy who spent the whole time avoiding her. Seems like that would have gotten some tweets at the time looking for sympathy, but there wasn’t a single one. If her story is true, then she suffered an assault and would understandably want to stay quiet about it initially, especially with all his manipulation.

4) Gu has lied constantly about his multiple fake accounts, two of which are now deleted or suspended. He lied to my friend when she confronted him in real life about the DV allegations, saying (I kid you not) that the Republican Party hacked the Alameda courthouse and planted the domestic violence charges. He apparently told other Twitter folks that Jack Posobiec made up the Mary Laury accusations in now public DMs. He’s lied so much about this stuff that it’s hard to remember all of them. Note in their alleged text thread he refers to himself as Frank Underwood.

5) Gu has a long history of lying and distorting truth to serve his own ends regarding the Vanderbilt firing. He would post carefully selected parts of letter to make it look like he was being targeted for social media use or the take a knee photo or whatever, rather than clear performance issues that he knew vandy couldn’t disclose. Their final statement (a work of art imo) very eloquently said that he knows why he was really fired and that they aren’t happy to share it all if he wants to give them permission. Don’t hold your breath!

6) Gu has posted here personally attacking posters and mods threatening to doxx people and destroy our careers. He tried to intimidate us by claiming the national media was working to out us and threatened sdn with some twitter shaming if the original thread about him wasn’t shut down.

7) multiple public figures have spoken to meowskis in real life about her story and come away from those discussions believing her.

So here’s my synthesis of the story: her story is completely true and he is a master manipulator who somehow was able to keep her on the hook despite his assault. The texts he shares are either completely fabricated or, if genuine, a classic example of how many victims of sexual assault and gaslighting respond to their abusers. He even continues to abuse her in his megathread with taunts about her weight! Given his history he’s probably taken things way out of context in an attempt to save his own Arse. His admission about the fake account (plus overwhelming evidence of other sock puppets that led to at least one suspension) again shows how easily he lies and casts doubt on everything he says. If you read his tweets from these accounts they read of someone who’s unhinged and will say anything to get his way.

I believe her.

Reactions: 24 users
So here’s why I believe her side and feel that Gu is lying:

1) Gu has a documented history of domestic violence allegations made against him. There’s a Duke Chronicle article where they finally did some investigation and found four distinct episodes alleged by his ex wife that also contain some similar themes to meowskis account of things. There are other allegations of assault against him brewing among less followed accounts.

2) I have a personal friend who dated Gu very briefly and while she doesn’t allege any sexual misconduct against her, she does note that the things meowskis alleges he said in and around the time of the alleged assault are in line with things he said to her.

3) Meowksi tweets nearly every minute of her dating life. For some reason there’s not a word about the trip where he allegedly assaulted her. Now, if his version were true, she drove 4 hours to see a guy who spent the whole time avoiding her. Seems like that would have gotten some tweets at the time looking for sympathy, but there wasn’t a single one. If her story is true, then she suffered an assault and would understandably want to stay quiet about it initially, especially with all his manipulation.

4) Gu has lied constantly about his multiple fake accounts, two of which are now deleted or suspended. He lied to my friend when she confronted him in real life about the DV allegations, saying (I kid you not) that the Republican Party hacked the Alameda courthouse and planted the domestic violence charges. He apparently told other Twitter folks that Jack Posobiec made up the Mary Laury accusations in now public DMs. He’s lied so much about this stuff that it’s hard to remember all of them. Note in their alleged text thread he refers to himself as Frank Underwood.

5) Gu has a long history of lying and distorting truth to serve his own ends regarding the Vanderbilt firing. He would post carefully selected parts of letter to make it look like he was being targeted for social media use or the take a knee photo or whatever, rather than clear performance issues that he knew vandy couldn’t disclose. Their final statement (a work of art imo) very eloquently said that he knows why he was really fired and that they aren’t happy to share it all if he wants to give them permission. Don’t hold your breath!

6) Gu has posted here personally attacking posters and mods threatening to doxx people and destroy our careers. He tried to intimidate us by claiming the national media was working to out us and threatened sdn with some twitter shaming if the original thread about him wasn’t shut down.

7) multiple public figures have spoken to meowskis in real life about her story and come away from those discussions believing her.

So here’s my synthesis of the story: her story is completely true and he is a master manipulator who somehow was able to keep her on the hook despite his assault. The texts he shares are either completely fabricated or, if genuine, a classic example of how many victims of sexual assault and gaslighting respond to their abusers. He even continues to abuse her in his megathread with taunts about her weight! Given his history he’s probably taken things way out of context in an attempt to save his own Arse. His admission about the fake account (plus overwhelming evidence of other sock puppets that led to at least one suspension) again shows how easily he lies and casts doubt on everything he says. If you read his tweets from these accounts they read of someone who’s unhinged and will say anything to get his way.

I believe her.
Just as an aside, I see SouthernSurgeon liked your post! It's nice to know we haven't scared him completely away!

it was pointed out elsewhere that it's pretty easy to fake phone text screenshots and twitter screenshots, so I'd take those with a grain of salt

it was pointed out elsewhere that it's pretty easy to fake phone text screenshots and twitter screenshots, so I'd take those with a grain of salt
Exactly. Gu has admitted to using fake Twitter accounts. Faking a text message would be equally easy.

Excuse me? To imply that a woman would have a hard time getting a residency because she had the guts to out an alleged sexual predator after she was assaulted by this person is not only inaccurate, it's flat-out offensive. Dr. Meow will be just fine, even if her real identity is revealed. She did nothing wrong here.

As someone with a social media presence, I post professional items and personal items that don't reveal too much about my life. I also am not scared of speaking out about things I find needing improvement, such as resiliency BS in medical education, resident wellness, etc. It didn't hold me back, trust me.