Attention: Bethesda/baltimore/dc area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSU Gladiator

A peppermint nightmare.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

I just got an invite to Bethesda MD for the summer for an NIH internship. The internship would provide me with extremely vaulable research experience, and a stipend. I plan on using the stipend to pay for undergrad tuition next semester. Since the internship doesn't include housing, I am finding that there is no way I can afford to stay in Bethesda.

Do you, or anyone you know have a couch/closet/3x6 space of floor that a light traveling, unobtrusive college student can occupy for the summer?

I know it's a tall order, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

You don't have to say yes right away, PM me for some Q & A!

Thank you for your time!

LM

Members don't see this ad.

SDN,

I just got an invite to Bethesda MD for the summer for an NIH internship. The internship would provide me with extremely vaulable research experience, and a stipend. I plan on using the stipend to pay for undergrad tuition next semester. Since the internship doesn't include housing, I am finding that there is no way I can afford to stay in Bethesda.

Do you, or anyone you know have a couch/closet/3x6 space of floor that a light traveling, unobtrusive college student can occupy for the summer?

I know it's a tall order, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

You don't have to say yes right away, PM me for some Q & A!

Thank you for your time!

LM

This area is super-expensive, but you might have better luck looking over in the College Park area, where there are tons of students around.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN,

I just got an invite to Bethesda MD for the summer for an NIH internship. The internship would provide me with extremely vaulable research experience, and a stipend. I plan on using the stipend to pay for housing, I am finding that I can afford to stay in Bethesda.

LM

people on the east coast aren't as nice as the down souf crowd. i'm just saying :) have fun with your research! remember, if you are not productive, its not as useful as it could be. so use your money wisely

people on the east coast aren't as nice as the down souf crowd. i'm just saying :) have fun with your research! remember, if you are not productive, its not as useful as it could be. so use your money wisely

I've had less than pleasant experiences with both, but I'm an east coast native, so go figure.:laugh:

There are nice people. There are mean people.

More importantly, there a million and a half research opportunities in and around the NIH.:thumbup:

well i think people are nice in general. however, i cant see someone random in dc or bethesda being like, hey, you can live with me

check craigslist
although i'm not sure how many people are comfortable using it still

well i think people are nice in general. however, i cant see someone random in dc or bethesda being like, hey, you can live with me

True. There are lots of schools in the area, though, so there should be plenty of opportunities for roommates. Just don't live on the Virginia side. The commute is nowhere near worth it. Which is why I keep doing it??

i'd also live close to public transportation, which usually cost a little bit extra. i believe you would not be bringing a car if you are from lsu.

i'd also live close to public transportation, which usually cost a little bit extra. i believe you would not be bringing a car if you are from lsu.

MetroBus is good, but I'm not sure it's abandon-your-vehicle-worthy outside of DC proper.

You do realize that the stipend is supposed to be for living expenses, not your future tuition, right?

Blah.

Anyhow, I've contacted a few organizations (like the Habitat affiliate in Howard County and the Rotary Club) and I'm waiting to see if I get any takers. What's this business about college park?

Blah.

Anyhow, I've contacted a few organizations (like the Habitat affiliate in Howard County and the Rotary Club) and I'm waiting to see if I get any takers. What's this business about college park?

College Park is about 20 minutes east of the NIH, but there are a lot of students around that area.:thumbup:

Last edited:
look for housing near shady grove metro.. i live in gaithersburg and will be at nih this summer. unfortunately can't offer you a place to live since i am living with my parents

Thanks for the tips, I will investigate!!! Keep em' coming!

Thanks for the tips, I will investigate!!! Keep em' coming!

Screw college park. And def stay away from hyattsville. My advice is takoma park. Beautiful tree lined streets, lovely neighbors. By car, the commute's a breeze, 20 mins to NIH. There is a takoma metro stop, problem is it has to go all the way through DC before the NIH stop so it takes 45 mins. The bus should get u there in 30.

Also check out silver spring. Great town. Great restaraunts. Lots of housing. (residents are trying to get a new line put on the metro, the purple line, to make the commute easier from college park, takoma park and SS.) But in the meantime. Bus or car works great. Have fun! And ignore the nay sayers, you'll have a great time. I love it here.

rockville and gaithersburg. both close to red line which takes you to the NIH metro stop. doubt you'll land free rent but its cheaper outside the beltway than in.