atmosphere at Barry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crave888

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who goes or is planning on attending Barry just give me a sample outline of their typical day at school?
I think I'm fairly set on barry at this point, probably going to let down Temple one of these days, when I finally get the guts to do so :)

Members don't see this ad.

;)
Can anyone who goes or is planning on attending Barry just give me a sample outline of their typical day at school?
I think I'm fairly set on barry at this point, probably going to let down Temple one of these days, when I finally get the guts to do so :)

Hey wats up crave!! What was it about barry that got you interested, that changed your mind. Anything there that stood out etc. thanks

hey same question like SAFOOT? Any special attraction towards Barry. Are you from Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
How could you pick Barry over Temple? I'm just wondering what impressed you more about it.

funny you guys ask if I'm from florida.. actually I'm not. I'm from NY, which I bet throws you off again bc Temple is so close to NY
I've lived in NY my entire life and I love it. However, I decided I want something new in life, and why not Miami? Its gorgeous, hot and I figure I can do residency in NY after Barry. I am well aware that Temple is a better program, but somehow, I feel an attraction towards Barry. Please input ideas.

temple has a good reputation that was built on past graduates. it does not have the same quality education as it once did. this is not just my opinion. i have been hearing this for a while from other students and residents that interact with Temple students.

Barry has its issues as well.

I think either school would be about the same so I'd pick based on location between those 2 programs.

temple has a good reputation that was built on past graduates. it does not have the same quality education as it once did. this is not just my opinion. i have been hearing this for a while from other students and residents that interact with Temple students.

Barry has its issues as well.

I think either school would be about the same so I'd pick based on location between those 2 programs.

From what I've heard Temple had some problems in the past couple of years, like all Pod schools have. Every Pod school has had their share of problems and has had to work on them. However, Temple has now revamped their whole curriculum and it is hard to beat their huge clinic which sees more patients each year then most other schools. the New York school sees a lot of Patients too. So the problems they've had in the past have been resolved from what I have gathered talking to students there.

From what I've heard Temple had some problems in the past couple of years, like all Pod schools have. Every Pod school has had their share of problems and has had to work on them. However, Temple has now revamped their whole curriculum and it is hard to beat their huge clinic which sees more patients each year then most other schools. the New York school sees a lot of Patients too. So the problems they've had in the past have been resolved from what I have gathered talking to students there.

I wouldn't say "ALL POD School(s)" have had problems. :D

There aren't any problems at AZPOD nor have there been....:)

AZPOD Rocks

I'm heading to Barry 11/3/06. I'll let you know what I think. Even though I'm planning on attending DMU

I wouldn't say "ALL POD School(s)" have had problems. :D

There aren't any problems at AZPOD nor have there been....:)

AZPOD Rocks

My mistake, ASPOD is so young that nothing has come up yet. But the fact of the matter is all schools whether medical, dental, undergrad will have problems here and there. They could minor or major problems. Nothing is ever perfect. Problems aren't always bad as they can be used to find improvements in a program. You know the old saying," Got a problem, thats good, because with every problem you solve comes growth and education to make you better". but dont misunderstand me with going to the extreme and giving examples of problems that have ruined schools. I'm not talking about those types of problems.

My mistake, ASPOD is so young that nothing has come up yet. But the fact of the matter is all schools whether medical, dental, undergrad will have problems here and there. They could minor or major problems. Nothing is ever perfect. Problems aren't always bad as they can be used to find improvements in a program. You know the old saying," Got a problem, thats good, because with every problem you solve comes growth and education to make you better". but dont misunderstand me with going to the extreme and giving examples of problems that have ruined schools. I'm not talking about those types of problems.

:thumbup:

Why bump a year-old thread lol?

I hadn't seen this topic, but krambas really hit the nail on the head in her post above.

To my knowledge, Temple used to be a powerhouse pod program with a legit claim as the best in the nation, and many of today's big name attendings graduated there 20+yrs ago. Now, it's hit or miss from what I've heard, but it's probably just because their selectivity has probably dropped a bit or faculty might have changed up. Barry is newer but probably has the same issues as Temple currently does: not a huge applicant pool (but this varies every year for every school). I think both of the programs could stand to emphasize student research a bit more...

If you're asking about the orig thread topic (Barry atmosphere), I say to just pick where you think you'll do well and fit in. Good students from either of these schools - or any pod school - match top residencies and make great DPMs every year.

One possible thing to consider is that if you want to do pod residency in NY, you might want to get out of there for school (seems OP realizes this). You don't really want the same attendings and philosophies for 7+yrs. It's better to get out in terms of geography, learn from other docs and get other knowledge, and then return to get the New York ways of pod thinking as a resident. The oft-quoted advice that one should go to CSPM if you want a Cali residency, Barry if you want a Fla residency, etc is not great advice IMO. You don't want your ways of thinking to get inbred IMO...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why bump a year-old thread lol?

I hadn't seen this topic, but krambas really hit the nail on the head in her post above.

To my knowledge, Temple used to be a powerhouse pod program with a legit claim as the best in the nation, and many of today's big name attendings graduated there 20+yrs ago. Now, it's hit or miss from what I've heard, but it's probably just because their selectivity has probably dropped a bit or faculty might have changed up. Barry is newer but probably has the same issues as Temple currently does: not a huge applicant pool (but this varies every year for every school). I think both of the programs could stand to emphasize student research a bit more...

If you're asking about the orig thread topic (Barry atmosphere), I say to just pick where you think you'll do well and fit in. Good students from either of these schools - or any pod school - match top residencies and make great DPMs every year.

One possible thing to consider is that if you want to do pod residency in NY, you might want to get out of there for school (seems OP realizes this). You don't really want the same attendings and philosophies for 7+yrs. It's better to get out in terms of geography, learn from other docs and get other knowledge, and then return to get the New York ways of pod thinking as a resident. The oft-quoted advice that one should go to CSPM if you want a Cali residency, Barry if you want a Fla residency, etc is not great advice IMO. You don't want your ways of thinking to get inbred IMO...

Sorry, I just wanted to know more about Barry and did not want to start another post with the same topic since people usually complain about that.

I really fell in love with Barry and the atmosphere of the school and location, but I just want to make sure that I am making the right choice. I hear so much bad stuff on here about Barry, but when I went there to visit everything just seems completely opposite of what I hear on SDN.

It's all good man... I just wasn't clear on what your question was... Barry facilities, Barry academics, Barry compared to Temple, etc.

I say it all the time on here, but your pod education anywhere is what you make of it. Pick the school that's the right fit for you +/- family. Whether that means scholarship, climate, big class, small class, geography, etc depends on theperson. Faculty, facilities, clinics, etc definitely matter, but a lot of learning is self directed also. I was at journal club tonight, and you see that the students who really wanna learn and excel will read and study extra to do just that. Classes are just to give you the basics and guide your study. After the basic science core, if you want to distinguish yourself, you need to embrace the clinical literature and have good work ethic in clinics as well. That's true at any of the 8 programs...

Barry's program is great! I go here, I love it, and everyone that I know that attends here loves it as well. Now, every school has it's issues, but no school should be slamming or pointing out weaknesses of another, as we all run into different issues from time to time. You seem comfortable here, and want a change, I opted for the same. I'm from Chicago, went to Marquette, and applied to three schools. Got interview invites from all three, went to Barry first, after my interview, I canceled my other ones at the two other schools and haven't looked back or regretting my decision for a second!

Can't wait to see ya next year!

Barry's program is great! I go here, I love it, and everyone that I know that attends here loves it as well. Now, every school has it's issues, but no school should be slamming or pointing out weaknesses of another, as we all run into different issues from time to time. You seem comfortable here, and want a change, I opted for the same. I'm from Chicago, went to Marquette, and applied to three schools. Got interview invites from all three, went to Barry first, after my interview, I canceled my other ones at the two other schools and haven't looked back or regretting my decision for a second!

Can't wait to see ya next year!

Thanks for the info...

see yah next year:thumbup:

I'm applying for Fall 2008... hopefully I'll see you all there.

Congrats!!! So you decided to apply now rather than later?

Hey Buspar! Thanks for all the PMs... they really helped a new pre-pod like myself out. Yes, I've decided to apply to NYCPM and Barry. In fact, I just submitted my e-application. Once I take the MCAT, I will apply to DMU and AZPOD. However, I'm leaning towards Barry because I want to stay in Florida. Are you still headed to Barry? If so, I may see you in Fall. Take care.

bus

Hey Buspar! Thanks for all the PMs... they really helped a new pre-pod like myself out. Yes, I've decided to apply to NYCPM and Barry. In fact, I just submitted my e-application. Once I take the MCAT, I will apply to DMU and AZPOD. However, I'm leaning towards Barry because I want to stay in Florida. Are you still headed to Barry? If so, I may see you in Fall. Take care.

bus

No problem! Yes, I am still planning on going to Barry...I don't think I will accept my other interview invites. I love the people at Barry and the school and location. See yah in the Fall!

No problem! Yes, I am still planning on going to Barry...I don't think I will accept my other interview invites. I love the people at Barry and the school and location. See yah in the Fall!

What other schools did you apply to?

Those who have interview at Barry, what are some of their statistics like board pass rate, attrition rate of students, etc? I'm curious to know how Barry students are currently doing.

* deleted: duplicate post *

Those who have interview at Barry, what are some of their statistics like board pass rate, attrition rate of students, etc? I'm curious to know how Barry students are currently doing.

I spoke with a Barry graduate who is currently doing his residency. He will be kept anonymous, but this is the conversation we had:

Me: There is a very popular online medical forum called Student Doctor Network (SDN). On this site, many students often talk negative of Barry's podiatry program, saying that the school admits anybody with a pulse, and then fails out a good portion of the class during the four years. What are your thoughts on this?

Barry Graduate: Some of it is true... There were some real idiots in my class our first year. I have no clue how these people were accepted, but kinda glad for the profession when they failed out. It is really easy to be accepted into ANY podiatry school because the application numbers are so low. Other schools do the same thing, but I think Barry has a more strict program, and that is why so many people fail out: we started out with 56 and graduated 38... out of the 38 that graduated with me, 21 were from the original 56!

Me: How do Barry students fair on the national boards? What is their pass percentage?

Barry Graduate: I don't know the percentages, but I think it is available on the aacpm or NBPME website. Most people pass it on the first go around, but the ones that take a couple times make everyone else look bad.

Me: What percentage of Barry students obtain PM&S-36 residencies (3 year, fore-and-hind-foot surgery)?

Barry Graduate: I think 2 or 3 people got 2 year residency programs, but it was because they wanted a 2 year program. There are literally a hundred extra residency positions available every year more than there are graduates. You will have no problem getting a residency, you may just have to work a little harder to get one where you want to go.

Me: What student services does Barry provide for students?

Barry Graduate: Barry has all of the amenities of a regular university, including a gym, pool, student services, etc.

Hope that helps!

I spoke with a Barry graduate who is currently doing his residency. He will be kept anonymous, but this is the conversation we had:

Me: There is a very popular online medical forum called Student Doctor Network (SDN). On this site, many students often talk negative of Barry's podiatry program, saying that the school admits anybody with a pulse, and then fails out a good portion of the class during the four years. What are your thoughts on this?

Barry Graduate: Some of it is true... There were some real idiots in my class our first year. I have no clue how these people were accepted, but kinda glad for the profession when they failed out. It is really easy to be accepted into ANY podiatry school because the application numbers are so low. Other schools do the same thing, but I think Barry has a more strict program, and that is why so many people fail out: we started out with 56 and graduated 38... out of the 38 that graduated with me, 21 were from the original 56!

Me: How do Barry students fair on the national boards? What is their pass percentage?

Barry Graduate: I don't know the percentages, but I think it is available on the aacpm or NBPME website. Most people pass it on the first go around, but the ones that take a couple times make everyone else look bad.

Me: What percentage of Barry students obtain PM&S-36 residencies (3 year, fore-and-hind-foot surgery)?

Barry Graduate: I think 2 or 3 people got 2 year residency programs, but it was because they wanted a 2 year program. There are literally a hundred extra residency positions available every year more than there are graduates. You will have no problem getting a residency, you may just have to work a little harder to get one where you want to go.

Me: What student services does Barry provide for students?

Barry Graduate: Barry has all of the amenities of a regular university, including a gym, pool, student services, etc.

Hope that helps!

Wow you done some homework. Nice

step 1 100%

100% residency placement

Attrition rate was really low because they want to see their students pass...they offer a notetaker for every class and a mentor for the first two years.

step 1 meaning part 1 of the of the podiatry boards? If this is the case, I don't think Barry has 100 % on it. I think only one school has that and its either Des Moines or AZPOD. Please correct me if I am thinking of something different.

step 1 meaning part 1 of the of the podiatry boards? If this is the case, I don't think Barry has 100 % on it. I think only one school has that and its either Des Moines or AZPOD. Please correct me if I am thinking of something different.

100% pass rate on the first part of the medical boards. I was told this by the asst. dean, the students, and it's also on thier website.

100% pass rate on the first part of the medical boards. I was told this by the asst. dean, the students, and it's also on thier website.

This can be a very deceiving statement. There is a huge difference between board pass rate and FIRST TIME board pass rate. Although hopefully every student eventually passes part one, some schools have very low first time pass rates.

It is very important that you ask schools what their "first time pass rate" is each year. Namely because boards are $900 a pop and it comes out of the student's pocket. I know that AZPOD, Scholl, and DMU have first time pass rates above 90%. I cannot comment on the other schools.

Barry's NBPME pt1 pass rate was 78% in July 2007 from what I was told. The national average was 83%.

The problem with those stats are that I have no idea if the pass rate was the percentage of my c/o 2009 students that passed in July (some didn't take it and would go down as a non-pass). It also might mean the pass rate of all Barry students taking the July pt1 exam (first time takers in my class plus re-takers from higher classes who had failed before).

I really don't know what the pass rate means. If "pass rate" includes older students who are re-taking, then that really makes it hard for some schools to improve if re-takers who fail again and again repeatedly lower their pass %.

As jonwill said, "pass rate" versus "first time pass rate" are a key distinction. The only schools with consistently high (90+ percent) pass rates are AZ, Scholl, and DMU; AZ reportedly had 100% this past year but I don't know if DMU and Scholl did or not. That doesn't mean you won't pass if you don't go to one of those 3 schools, it just means that you'll look like an idiot if you go there and are the only kid who doesn't pass (sarcasm). In all seriousness, you start studying for boards the day you start pod school. It's a minimum competency test, so if you pay attention in classes and work hard, you should have no problems.