Atlantic Bridge 2020 Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If someone was given an invitation during the second rounds and is given an offer will they start courses in Fall 2020 or later?
I am pretty sure they start in the winter semester, however I will call them tomorrow to check for you and keep you updated

Members don't see this ad.

Are all first-round interview invites given out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied with the following; WAMC?

4 years of clinical experience (Paramedic)
1 year of precepting students (Paramedic/Nurses)
Research appraiser for prehospital emergency medicine literature/changing/updating clinical guidelines
Around 800+ hours of volunteering over the years with an organization that fundraises scholarships for local HS grads. (very successful)
500 hours of 1-on-1 training with an MD (clinical opportunity), wrote an amazing LoR
Canadian Forces veteran
No research publications
1 year of university studying psychology (3.8 cGPA), still continuing studies
Glowing LoR from tenured neuroscience prof and another prof
Author, Non-Fiction (unpublished/editing)

Research appraiser for prehospital emergency medicine literature/changing/updating clinical guidelines
Around 800+ hours of volunteering over the years with an organization that fundraises scholarships for local HS grads. (very successful)
500 hours of 1-on-1 training with an MD (clinical opportunity), wrote an amazing LoR
Canadian Forces veteran
No research publications
that is amazing. to say the least

Canadian Forces veteran
No research publications
Kid, if I were on the ADCOM I would probably just give you a handshake and a white coat. Looks great. Best of luck to you, served alongside some Canadians during OIR in 2014.

that is amazing. to say the least

Kid, if I were on the ADCOM I would probably just give you a handshake and a white coat. Looks great. Best of luck to you, served alongside some Canadians during OIR in 2014.

Thanks you two, but my high school GPA is a 3.0 (Canadian unweighted) and they don't care to see my paramedic college's GPA (which is a 4.0). I'm also a late applicant.

My redemption (hopefully) is my current 3.8 GPA (A- average) over the last year of university studying neuro-psych (should have been more specific in my last post.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks you two, but my high school GPA is a 3.0 (Canadian unweighted) and they don't care to see my paramedic college's GPA (which is a 4.0). I'm also a late applicant.

My redemption (hopefully) is my current 3.8 GPA (A- average) over the last year of university studying neuro-psych (should have been more specific in my last post.)
I wouldn’t sweat it. I had a 2.5 GPA graduating from high school. I didn’t want to be a Surgeon back then. I didn’t know what I wanted. So I enlisted, sorted myself out, then figured out who I wanted to be. Now I have a 4.0 cGPA and a 4.0 sGPA going into my junior year at university as a biology major. They’ll see experience, maturity, and growth. They aren’t looking at how well you’re doing in neuro-psych. Good grades don’t make great doctors. Good people do.

Do what you please with this, for I as well am still waiting for an invitation to interview.

Cheers

I wouldn’t sweat it. I had a 2.5 GPA graduating from high school. I didn’t want to be a Surgeon back then. I didn’t know what I wanted. So I enlisted, sorted myself out, then figured out who I wanted to be. Now I have a 4.0 cGPA and a 4.0 sGPA going into my junior year at university as a biology major. They’ll see experience, maturity, and growth. They aren’t looking at how well you’re doing in neuro-psych. Good grades don’t make great doctors. Good people do.

Do what you please with this, for I as well am still waiting for an invitation to interview.

Cheers

Thanks, man.
I feel like I'd be a good fit; limiting as much bias as possible. My personality traits measure similar to what fits a doctor.

I'm Canadian as well! A 3.8 GPA is amazing! I don't even know why you are bothering to apply to Ireland if your grades are this high, considering that universities here will not look at your high school GPA, but rather your experience and undergrad grade, however I understand the MCAT is intimidating and that is why I'm applying outside as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyways, hi again everyone! I managed to contact ABP today and asked them about interview invitations. First rounds for UCD and RCSI are done now, however, second rounds will begin in February. Second rounds will allow you to be a part of the September 2020 class. So don't lose hope! And if you have applied to other universities, they have yet to start reviewing the applications. I hope this calmed down everyone's anxieties! You all deserve to be a part of this class!

That’s funny, when I called they said only RCSI had given them out and other schools were starting to review. Nothing was said about UCD
I'm sick and tired of their inconsistency. It's really irritating me now.

That’s funny, when I called they said only RCSI had given them out and other schools were starting to review. Nothing was said about UCD
When did you contact them? I just called this morning. Maybe next time I will get a name LOL

Anyways, hi again everyone! I managed to contact ABP today and asked them about interview invitations. First rounds for UCD and RCSI are done now, however, second rounds will begin in February. Second rounds will allow you to be a part of the September 2020 class. So don't lose hope! And if you have applied to other universities, they have yet to start reviewing the applications. I hope this calmed down everyone's anxieties! You all deserve to be a part of this class!
Did they say specifically when in February? Cause I’m trying to remain calm and collected here. Also, are most of you guys Canadians?

I'm Canadian as well! A 3.8 GPA is amazing! I don't even know why you are bothering to apply to Ireland if your grades are this high, considering that universities here will not look at your high school GPA, but rather your experience and undergrad grade, however I understand the MCAT is intimidating and that is why I'm applying outside as well.

Ireland for me is an experience above all else. Yeah, I know my marks are above average as well, but, I'll apply every year until I either: 1. get in, or 2. graduate UG and go into a Can. med school!

I'm sick and tired of their inconsistency. It's really irritating me now.

Their inconsistency is honestly nothing new. They keep a pretty far distance from their applicants.

Did they say specifically when in February? Cause I’m trying to remain calm and collected here. Also, are most of you guys Canadians?
No she just said "February", however I'm going to assume it will be after they complete weeding out the applicants after the interviews. I would call and ask for specific dates. And I'm not sure but I'm Canadian! It seems as if there are more US applicants

Ireland for me is an experience above all else. Yeah, I know my marks are above average as well, but, I'll apply every year until I either: 1. get in, or 2. graduate UG and go into a Can. med school!
Either way, I wish you all the best! Your grade and experience are honestly amazing, there is no reason for them to keep you waiting this long.

No she just said "February", however I'm going to assume it will be after they complete weeding out the applicants after the interviews. I would call and ask for specific dates. And I'm not sure but I'm Canadian! It seems as if there are more US applicants
I called and asked and the person who I was talking to couldn't give me any dates, which is helpful. She also said that they may send some invitations out this week for RCSI. They also said the other schools that do the in person interviews have yet to decide when they will send email invitations.

How bleak is the future of a late applicant? I'm pretty out of the loop.

Well when did you complete your application? For me I submitted mine in the beginning of November.

I submitted mine a couple of weeks ago. It's a strong app though; I have 2 department heads from my uni writting me letters, a police officer, my ex-partner from being a medic and a science prof. That, plus the other stuff I mentioned. I think the timing is the only thing that's really going to 'kill me.'

**edit: I have no idea when my transcripts will make it there, and the same with my LoR's as im too busy to follow up with the profs right now because I have 4 midterms over the next few days.

Just wana update you guys on something. I got a text from the doc I shadowed for 500+ hours reading "Make me proud, kid! I believe in you!" I've never felt so motivated in my life until now.

Just wana update you guys on something. I got a text from the doc I shadowed for 500+ hours reading "Make me proud, kid! I believe in you!" I've never felt so motivated in my life until now.
That is amazing! I hope you can make him proud! Your stats definitely amazed me and I hope you don't let their late reply get to you. If I were you, I wouldn't stress, it is their loss if they don't reply to you.

Hey, man. I understand that this process can be a bit rattling. I am right there with you, but just taking a step back and changing the perspective I really think it is possible that with having such a strong application comes with a certain level of expectation. Many of the 5/6 year applicants are 17-19 year old students that have not had the opportunities or experiences that non-traditional students like ourselves have had being older and dare I say having "been around the block a few times". To an admissions committee, having stellar grades and a copious amount of real life experience to put on a resume but only applying to a program that does not require an MCAT score and has a less competitive applicant pool may seem as if we're taking the path of least resistance. This is purely speculation, but it would seem as if they would prefer a class that is at a similar level to grow and develop together. If anything this concept just motivates me to crush the MCAT and scrape my way into medical school the only way I know how -- the hard way.

Your drive will take you far, man. Keep it up, but this cycle is just a blip in the grand scheme of things. Acceptance or not, never quit.

Last edited:
Hey, man. I understand that this process can be a bit rattling. I am right there with you, but just taking a step back and changing the perspective I really think it is possible that with having such a strong application comes with a certain level of expectation. Many of the 5/6 year applicants are 17-19 year old students that have not had the opportunities or experiences that non-traditional students like ourselves have had being older and dare I say having "been around the block a few times". To an admissions committee, having stellar grades and a copious amount of real life experience to put on a resume but only applying to a program that does not require an MCAT score and has a less competitive applicant pool may seem as if we're taking the path of least resistance. This is purely speculation, but it would seem as if they would prefer a class that is at a similar level to grow and develop together. If anything this concept just motivates me to crush the MCAT and scrape my way into medical school the only way I know how -- the hard way.

Your drive will take you far, man. Keep it up, but this cycle is just a blip in the grand scheme of things. Acceptance or not, never quit.

It would be grossly unfair if they discriminated against a non-trad in such a way that they don't mix us in with the 17-19 year olds. Yes, I agree, we have lots to offer with life experience, but we still fall within the admission requirements. Hopefully the essays we write radiate with our personality so that they can see that we're not lazy, but committed. Another reason why I'm jumping on the Ireland bandwagon again is to genuinely help my province. My home is short about 300 doctors and we're losing more to retirements, emigration and death every single year. Most of our docs are around 40-50 years old and work almost every single day of the week; their family practices range from 3-4 thousand patients and upwards to 15k (no, that's not an exaggeration), our ERs are overcrowded with people who have no GP to go to, the hallways are littered with patients in spare beds getting care outside of privacy, and everyone is burned out. Truly, I love my community so deeply and this is why I'm trying to force my way into med school "earlier" than traditionally. I have a deep sense of responsibility to take care of those who provided for me, and not just my parents but those who built the economy, infrastructure and more with their labor and suffering. To me, they don't deserve what they're getting and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand by and watch them slowly deteriorate and subsequently die.

All I ask is that I get the chance to explain myself to the AdCom at least once, and if they don't think it's a good enough reason to let me in -- well, then... I don't know what to do other than keep trying until they listen.

Also, does anyone know how bad it hurts to not have a pre-req done because you're currently taking it in uni?

Last edited:
Hey, I'm an applicant from Toronto, ON and I haven't heard back from any of the schools yet (I applied to all 4 GEM schools).
My application was submitted December 20th. I have decent stats in my opinion. Readings these posts has me a little worried though. Have invites already gone out for Toronto interviews for RCSI?

Hey, I'm an applicant from Toronto, ON and I haven't heard back from any of the schools yet (I applied to all 4 GEM schools).
My application was submitted December 20th. I have decent stats in my opinion. Readings these posts has me a little worried though. Have invites already gone out for Toronto interviews for RCSI?
From previous posts it appears that all first round offers for RCSI have been sent out for both GEM and 5/6 year programs.

It's pretty wild to think that our lives could potentially change forever in the next few weeks (for first rounds from some schools)

Hey! I'm not sure about Toronto, but I got one in Vancouver. According to our conspiracy theory, your age matters more than your stats! What year are you in?

Hey! I'm not sure about Toronto, but I got one in Vancouver. According to our conspiracy theory, your age matters more than your stats! What year are you in?

What do you mean age more than stats? I finished UG, and am currently in a 1-yr Master's program.
...also congrats :)

What do you mean age more than stats? I finished UG, and am currently in a 1-yr Master's program.
...also congrats :)

this is what I'm referencing! And thank you! But it hurts me to hear that people this amazing are not getting interviews.

Has anyone else received an invitation for an interview? Cause I still haven’t

Has anyone else received an invitation for an interview? Cause I still haven’t

I wish. I'm hoping that my prereqs not being done yet won't hurt my interview invite chance.

Found this pretty deep poem last night and wrote it down:

for your patients.

For when they call on you,
Stand fast.
For when the nights are long,
Stand fast.
For when the burden outweighs
Your strength and you begin to fail,
Stand fast.

Hope it gives you some kind of breath for the cycle :)

• Love
I wish. I'm hoping that my prereqs not being done yet won't hurt my interview invite chance.

To the lurkers,

I called AB and asked the following questions:

1. How would you like to receive confirmation of enrollment (CoE)?
a. Is a screenshot of my CoE enough? (in regards to summer courses which consist of 2 pre-reqs)

2. When should I update my marks?
a. Should they be delivered in batches or as they become available?

3. Will being in the middle of course work for pre-reqs affect my chances of acceptance?

AB provided me with these answers (paraphrase):

1. We don't care about CoE, just end term marks. You can send it, but we don't need it.

2. Submit only FINAL marks as soon as they become available. Midterm marks, test marks or others won't be accepted.

3. Having a glowing application is key. The AdComs will determine eligibility of conditional acceptance based on previous success in academia. They also will predict how well you will do in future courses based on this information.

Hopefully this helps anyone who is (like me) in the middle of the semester where their pre-reqs are currently being completed. If you don't get picked because you weren't fast enough, you still have next cycle!

I just received an email from UCD that reads:

"Thank you for your application for Medicine Graduate Entry. UCD's policy is that completed applications will normally be assessed as soon as possible following receipt..."

Does anyone know the significance of this email? Is it indicative of an upcoming interview invite, or does everyone receive this?

"Thank you for your application for Medicine Graduate Entry. UCD's policy is that completed applications will normally be assessed as soon as possible following receipt..."

Does anyone know the significance of this email? Is it indicative of an upcoming interview invite, or does everyone receive this?

Same here. Also not sure what to make of it :p.

You guys are receiving emails from the schools? Cause I haven’t received anything at all

You guys are receiving emails from the schools? Cause I haven’t received anything at all
It's the only email I've received from any school so far, still playing the waiting game. I'm thinking its an automatic email they send once they review your app.

"receipt" makes me think that maybe you haven't paid your admission fees yet. I'd log onto the AB application portal and check if the payment went through. If it didn't (and you paid), contact AB and see if they can't offer you an explanation.

At this point, I'd dance for the admissions committee in exchange for an interview invitation.

Reactions: 1 users
I just dropped 2 of my classes because my professor has been discriminating against me and unjustifiably giving me **** marks. I had some other academics all with strong English backgrounds review the papers she graded, and they couldn't believe it. Shes openly Neo-Marxist and uses a lot of the buzz-words; I look like someone her ideology would hate. You can imagine our relationship from the beginning.

I called AB and explained what was going on and they were VERY helpful. They said to send along a formal explanation of what is happening so they can deliver a notice to the AdComs on why there's going to be a couple W's on my transcript. I'm really impressed by how AB handled the situation, I thought my chances were done-for after today.

I just dropped 2 of my classes because my professor has been discriminating against me and unjustifiably giving me **** marks. I had some other academics all with strong English backgrounds review the papers she graded, and they couldn't believe it. Shes openly Neo-Marxist and uses a lot of the buzz-words; I look like someone her ideology would hate. You can imagine our relationship from the beginning.

I called AB and explained what was going on and they were VERY helpful. They said to send along a formal explanation of what is happening so they can deliver a notice to the AdComs on why there's going to be a couple W's on my transcript. I'm really impressed by how AB handled the situation, I thought my chances were done-for after today.
I'm trying to figure out if I should drop a class or risk my GPA :( Please PM me

I'm trying to figure out if I should drop a class or risk my GPA :( Please PM me
When did you submit your application to AB? Cause I submitted mine in November and I’m trying to figure out if they are making their way to the applicants who submitted theirs later in the fall