Atlanta, GA Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

star2007

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pediatric Dental Sedation. Healthy children only. Work 3 days a week (negotiable): No Call, No Weekends, No Holidays. 99% doing on cases.

Pick up extra work days doing moderate IV sedation or work full time. Flexible scheduling based on your availability. Typical start time 7am and out by 3-4pm. Multiple private offices within 30-45 miles of Downtown Atlanta.

Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Contract

Pay: $2,500.00 per day

Members don't see this ad.

I have negative interest in doing something even remotely to this but that’s a lot more than I’d expect. Regardless, who actually signs up to do stuff like this? Dentists who do an anesthesia fellowship?

This position has been filled. There will likely be a need for an additional anesthesiologist in 2024. Please, message me for additional information IF you are interested in receiving notification at that time. Thank you

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the typical daily rate for dental sedation in Atlanta is $1,800 to $2,200. We offered more to fill it quickly due to need.

Yes, the typical daily rate for dental sedation in Atlanta is $1,800 to $2,200. We offered more to fill it quickly due to need.

That seems very low. I’m in Southern California and the people who do this type of work make much more but it’s all cash pay FFS. Is someone getting a cut?

No cuts. It could be due to cost of living and insurance reimbursement. There is a mixture of cash pay and insurance. I'm not sure how much insurance reimburses for the service in California, but I do know the cost of living is much higher there. I spoke to someone who did this in California at a conference about 5 years ago. I can't recall the exact area. At the time, he told me an hourly reimbursement that was $125 more for the 1st hour and each additional hour was about the same.

Cost of living has nothing to do with insurance reimbursement
I work very closely with insurance companies. It does. Other factors play a role as well such as the number of providers providing the service in the area. And, different providers in the same area can be reimbursed different rates for the same service.

What makes it so?
Substandard equipment
Substandard monitoring post-op (often no dedicated qualified personnel)
Remote location

And, in general, the dental culture is more focused on throughput and "customer service" over safety. The primary criteria by which a kid is deemed suitable for general anesthesia in a dental office is often ability to pay.

That's not all dental clinics, but it's most of them, and why many of us won't consider working at such a place.

Reactions: 2 users
Peds dental anesthesia office work can be some sketchy stuff. Anyone who does it certainly deserves a premium rate.
Absolutely, I did it for short period when I did locums, it was terrible. I can’t think of an hourly rate that would make me do it again full time

Members don't see this ad :)
Substandard equipment
Substandard monitoring post-op (often no dedicated qualified personnel)
Remote location

And, in general, the dental culture is more focused on throughput and "customer service" over safety. The primary criteria by which a kid is deemed suitable for general anesthesia in a dental office is often ability to pay.

That's not all dental clinics, but it's most of them, and why many of us won't consider working at such a place.
Wow, that sounds horrible. I guess everyone's experience is different. I'm glad I'm not in that environment. From what I've heard, the offices that are more concerned about things other than safety don't utilize anesthesiologist. But, I don't have to encounter those.

This isn't general anesthesia. The majority of my patients (80% +) are Medicaid.

Last edited:
Rate would be low for my area, but good for the region it is in. Dental sedation is a good gig, if you are working with the right practices.

My kid's dental anesthesia expense: 600$/hr for the first hour, 120$ every 15mins afterwards, cash in front. They will file insurance for some reimbursement if there is any.

GETA though. I know the anesthesiologist, so 20% discount

2500$ for 8-9hours in a dental office generally not worth the trouble. Just do some locum in a hospital.

My kid's dental anesthesia expense: 600$/hr for the first hour, 120$ every 15mins afterwards, cash in front. They will file insurance for some reimbursement if there is any.

GETA though. I know the anesthesiologist, so 20% discount

2500$ for 8-9hours in a dental office generally not worth the trouble. Just do some locum in a hospital.

Here it is $1,000 per first hour and $700 per additional hour.

This is the range in our region.

General is safer.
People charge higher rates and insurance reimburses more for general. Different equipment and other factors come into play with general anesthetics vs sedation that lead to higher expenses. Studies show more complications with general in the setting.

Why would there be a difference for general? Time is time.
Different equipment, different requirements, longer time, different staffing....all cost more. Insurance reimburses more for general, groups charge more for general.

Different equipment, different requirements, longer time, different staffing....all cost more. Insurance reimburses more for general, groups charge more for general.

Understand about supplies. But we are reimbursed the same professional fees whether we do GA, MAC, or even local standby with no sedation given. This is in our hospital practice though. You know your business better than me. But your rates seem very low.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The only experience I've had doing peds dental were patients that weren't suited for the office (primarily developmental delay/mental health); fun day masking, IV, nasal intubation.

What are you doing for office based procedures (prop gtt/nitrous)? If you intubate and GA who's monitoring them post-op? Is there an anesthesia machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.