Ateneo/De La Salle...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChelseaRave

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do these medical schools rank as far as Philippino Med schools go?
Reputation, expense, passing rate, location, student body, etc.?
(I'd be coming from America, and planning to go back to America after med school to practice)

Members don't see this ad.

(I'd be coming from America)

They BOTH rank themselves very high.

If you enroll in Ateneo med & public health...BE ADVISED that Ateneo medicine is NOT currently recognized by FAIMER or IMED, so you WILL NOT be eligible to take the USMLE.

One way to 'rank' schools is to ask yourself "where do the kids of practicing physicians who are NOT USTFMS graduates AND faculty members from 'other' medical schools (who may or may not be USTFMS alums) go to med school in the Philippines?". If you ask yourself that question, and consider USTFMS, you will notice that kids of medicine faculty from UP, FEU, St. Luke's, and other medical schools in the Philippines, are enrolled at USTFMS...take that for what its worth....:rolleyes:

BTW...you ought to check your spelling of Filipino (<--spell it like that if you CAN speak English). Pilipino (<--spell it like that if you CAN'T speak English...)

asmph is a very new med school. they have requirements like of an additional units like plm. one of the excelling med school. if you do not have enough unit in science and the likes, you might not be able to get in. dlsu,last 2007 boards, had a passing rate of around 70+ which is already a good numerical value for a passing rate. about their reputation in the phil med schools, i think dlsu is a ahead than asmph. if im nt mistaken, dlsu cm was founded in the 80's(gota check my records first). in terms of miscellanous, i thnk thy are equal because as far as i know SL cm offers the highest med proper tuition fee. asmph is located in ortigas. dlsu is located in cavite(not unless you want to study outside metro manila).

Members don't see this ad :)
They BOTH rank themselves very high.

If you enroll in Ateneo med & public health...BE ADVISED that Ateneo medicine is NOT currently recognized by FAIMER or IMED, so you WILL NOT be eligible to take the USMLE.

One way to 'rank' schools is to ask yourself "where do the kids of practicing physicians who are NOT USTFMS graduates AND faculty members from 'other' medical schools (who may or may not be USTFMS alums) go to med school in the Philippines?". If you ask yourself that question, and consider USTFMS, you will notice that kids of medicine faculty from UP, FEU, St. Luke's, and other medical schools in the Philippines, are enrolled at USTFMS...take that for what its worth....:rolleyes:

BTW...you ought to check your spelling of Filipino (<--spell it like that if you CAN speak English). Pilipino (<--spell it like that if you CAN'T speak English...)
Thank you. Oh and I didn't know ANYONE spelled it 'Pilipino', haha.

(I'd be coming from America, and planning to go back to America after med school to practice)
Ateneo is a newer school in Metro Manila. They will eventually be in IMED as this is a legit school. It is a 5 year program as they incorporate a Masters degree. The only problem is that if you are planning to practice in the US, some states like California are strict about new schools and you have to be grandfathered to even get a license there (not a good idea). Some states like Kansas require a school to be at least 10 years.
De la Salle is the former GEAC which La Salle bought in the late 80's. It is more established but located in a more rural area. If these are your only 2 choices, I'll go for La Salle as you will have fewer licensing issues in the US.

Im from ASMPH, and I gotta say, ITS WORTH IT!! i mean, you really see where your money goes. We have great facilities, equipments, and 95% of professors are from UP (so we're like the extension of UPCM, hehe:laugh:). Plus, We have superb environment for learning (The Medical City for some patient exposures, and Labor Watch). Furthermore, we already have clinical rotations and patient exposure as early as FIRST YEAR (we already had clinical rotation on Quirino Medical Center for our Normal Obstetrics course :laugh:).The school offers an MD-MBA degree, and it really is very challenging in terms of studying to become a Doctor and a Manager at the same time, especially in med school. For me, super hard work is the key. Hehe..

BTW, ASMPH is already accredited by IMED,the link's here if you want proof

https://imed.faimer.org/results.asp...INES&city=Pasig&region=AS&rname=Asia&psize=25

Im from ASMPH, and I gotta say, ITS WORTH IT!! i mean, you really see where your money goes. We have great facilities, equipments, and 95% of professors are from UP (so we're like the extension of UPCM, hehe:laugh:). Plus, We have superb environment for learning (The Medical City for some patient exposures, and Labor Watch). Furthermore, we already have clinical rotations and patient exposure as early as FIRST YEAR (we already had clinical rotation on Quirino Medical Center for our Normal Obstetrics course :laugh:).The school offers an MD-MBA degree, and it really is very challenging in terms of studying to become a Doctor and a Manager at the same time, especially in med school. For me, super hard work is the key. Hehe..

BTW, ASMPH is already accredited by IMED,the link's here if you want proof

https://imed.faimer.org/results.asp...INES&city=Pasig&region=AS&rname=Asia&psize=25

GO ATENEO!! :thumbup: